3d movies

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
I just bought a new tv (e6500 plasma from Samsung) and I would love to try out the 3d! I was wondering if you kind people could supply me with some tips for some movies that are particularly nice in 3d

I just bought a new tv (e6500 plasma from Samsung) and I would love to try out the 3d! I was wondering if you kind people could supply me with some tips for some movies that are particularly nice in 3d

I just saw Avatar in 3D on a friends new 3d TV...looks really great imo.

On 3D Bluray, Tangled and Hugo, I find the 3D really good on them. I got Beauty and the Beast and Lion King 3D too. Lion King was alright, some scene was really good, some was just so so. Beauty and the Beast was a much better conversion. I guess they're getting better and I am looking forward to their next one, I think Little Mermaid 3D.

Titanic 3D conversion was good too for a conversion. Avoid Thor and Conan, those two was rather weak conversion.

Avatar 3D was alright, but it's the one authored especially for the early Panasonic 3DTV. Probably should wait for the extended cut 3D, IMO. But I doubt I'm going to buy it. I just don't like the movie.

I actually went on 3D Bluray buying spree over the holiday, and there are quite a few I haven't watch.

But general rule of thumb, CG Animated film generally look really good in 3D. But the 3D quality varies, For example Tangled is really good, characters look really solid in that one. Tintin was abit more flatter and less solid looking but still ok-ish.

Life Action films, so far only Hugo and Titanic that's good, but doesn't look as solid as those CG Animated films. I got a few more life action films to watch still, but not many impressed me so far. Also 3D movies are better using 16:9 aspect or maybe taller aspect. I still think directors that film their 3D movie in the standard 2.40:1 doesn't get 3D yet.

I find 3D gaming is more interesting than 3D movies. I've been going through the 3D enabled PS3 games list and buying them one by one. Uncharted 3 is really nice a good 3D showcase. Virtua Tennis 4 is good too. Enslaved not so good. Wipeout has really strong 3D. Ridge Racer 7 is not bad. Dynasty Warriors 7 is again not bad. ICO has weak 3D, SOTC has strong 3D and is quite something when you're in the action, but the lighting in those games are quite dated.

I find that for 3D games really need a good lighting engine, if not it can comeout looking like cardboard cut out. For example Motorstorm Apoc, has strong 3D, but their lighting in the game is sort of flat looking so even if the 3D is strong, it still look flat. Anyway I'm going to get a 3D Gaming PC when I'm done going through the PS3 games.

Last Harry Potter was actually really good in 3D. Everything Shrek or Pixar related I've seen was really good in 3D. Props to Shrek 4ever also for adding emotional depth by using clever 3D. John Carter and TinTin I personally also tought were rather good ...

I also have The Avengers in 3D, looked great too. BBC is putting out some Attenborough stuff on 3D as well, which looks very good also - I have one about the Kent gardens, and you haven't lived until you've seen some of the 3D graphs in that :D. I also have one about flying dinos, but dinos don't look so great, and animation is pretty weak too.

Definitely try Zen Pinball if you are looking for PS3 stuff in 3D. A night race in GT5 on the Ring or Le Mans is also cool, or Child of Eden.

BBC is putting out some Attenborough stuff on 3D as well, which looks very good

Are they conversion or has BBC starts filming their docu in 3D now ?

I watched Underworld Awakening, but the 3D is so so, it was quite poor in the beginning of the film but gets better later, but not that satisfying. I'm beginning to question why the hell do I pay premium for this half ass 3D films. Then I watched Resident Evil Afterlife, it was better, but I guess these are still first gen 3D films.

Just tried Killzone 3 in 3D, the graphic really took a hit, but the 3D was quite satifying in that one, but damn it seems they cut the resolution in half or more. 3D really seems to fix my motion sickness though, so I guess I'm going to play it in 3D even at the expense of resolution.

TT3D: Closer to the edge. I havent seen it in 3d as I hate 3d (makes my eyes and head hurt after just 3 minutes) but I heard it looks pretty cool in 3d as its shot in 3d.

I've seen the original version of Titanic, but I can't help but watch its 3D version. Now it's part of the list of my favorite 3D movies.

I saw Flying Swords of Dragon Gate in 3D lately.... Very silly chinese film which made very little sense, but i have to say that the 3D was one the best i've seen. And i don't think it was even shot in 3D originally, as far as i know.
Really clever especially because the subtitles also had their place in the 3D plane (they were deeper in or out of the picture depending on the scene). Maybe all subtitled 3D movies are like that, but this was the first one i tuned them on so maybe it's a normal thing. In fact, the subtitles made the film feel more 3D than without them.

Back