3D Artists/Experts help me spot the diferences :p (Uncharted render)

Omeyocan- i actually dont know the total time it takes to finish. i haven't played it through to really know.. i'm not sure we know exactly yet.. more info will come in the coming weeks regarding exacts.

as far as how it looks, it looks even better now then any of the trailors you guys have seen. a ton of little things have been added that hopefully will be an exciting addition. i can't really comment right now on those.. but nothing art wise has been downgraded.. only upgraded. so hopefully everyone will be very pleased with the visuals!

its coming soon!!

-Rich

Playtime wise, seeing the ribbing HS has got, I suggest you aim for a few more hours to be on the safe side!

unfortunately none of that is really up to me :) i'm just in charge of the characters! We'll see what it turns out to be. hopefully everyone will be happy.

-Rich

Thank you so much Rich. I really hope to play the demo if it's released before the game itself. And by the way this game is the only reason why I bought a PS3.

most games are 10-12 hours, i think thats fine if true.

is there any multiplayer/online? if not, then i would maybe aim a little higher.

i've been following Drake for so long, i can't believe i don't know this... i think i've just been admiring the stunning visuals. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, They managed to display the most astonishing graphics on the console side. Very talented staff indeed.

I'm very confident that the gameplay will reflect the same quality as the graphics.

Day one purchase.

Diamant,

I have a question for you. Can you tell us when exactly your company decided to go for a stylized look instead of a realistic look? I'm just curious if this happened AFTER work began on the real-time build. How far along was your company on the real-time build when this choice was made?

By the way, I prefer realism in games and I don't prefer the stylized look. However, your game does have GREAT graphics (character models, foliage, textures, draw distance etc) and looks very fun! All of you have done a great job!

I'm just curious about when the choice to go with a stylized look was made. You're game already looks great, don't get me wrong. But I think it would have looked a tad better with a realistic look (just my preference).

But GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Thanks for all your hard work!

Diamant

Do the explosions have the effect of wiping out what's in the immediate surroudings ?

I remember in the E3 demos and GC demos( I know that's not the final product ) seeing that when an explosion occured, nothing moved arround that one, neither the grass or foliage.

Thanks.

I'm glad all of you guys are looking forward to our game. We are really proud of what we have accomplished and hope all of you feel the same way!

djskribbles - this is a single player only game. no multiplayer. it would be a great multiplayer game but unfortunately we did not develop it with that purpose in mind. maybe in the future. i know a lot of people here would want that. Its really not up to us though. We'll see how it responds when it comes out and what the demands are in the future.

babcat- thats a hard question to answer. I think it just slowly migrated that way. There is a torn opinion here that some people like things a little more realistic while others like it a little more stylized. I think we chose to go a little more stylized to suit the masses as well as to stand apart from the majority of other companies out there. We wanted people to look at our game and not have to think which game it is. Most next gen games tend to look very similar in style.

We realize not everyone will be happy with the decision but we felt it was the best way to go to achieve the results that we wanted. Hopefully you guys will think the game is fun enough to overlook a style preference. But we'll see :)

Omeyocan- there is destructible cover in the game. not everything is destructible. some of the reasoning is a time issue, another is because we didn't want the player to destroy the entire game :) so yes, some explosions will destroy parts of the world while others wont.

remember guys, i'm not the final decision maker here, so requests can really only go so far :)

just know that everyone here has been working extremely hard and we are all very proud of the game we are making. We hope everyone will enjoy it for what it is :)
-Rich

I'm glad all of you guys are looking forward to our game. We are really proud of what we have accomplished and hope all of you feel the same way!

djskribbles - this is a single player only game. no multiplayer. it would be a great multiplayer game but unfortunately we did not develop it with that purpose in mind. maybe in the future. i know a lot of people here would want that. Its really not up to us though. We'll see how it responds when it comes out and what the demands are in the future.

babcat- thats a hard question to answer. I think it just slowly migrated that way. There is a torn opinion here that some people like things a little more realistic while others like it a little more stylized. I think we chose to go a little more stylized to suit the masses as well as to stand apart from the majority of other companies out there. We wanted people to look at our game and not have to think which game it is. Most next gen games tend to look very similar in style.

We realize not everyone will be happy with the decision but we felt it was the best way to go to achieve the results that we wanted. Hopefully you guys will think the game is fun enough to overlook a style preference. But we'll see :)

Omeyocan- there is destructible cover in the game. not everything is destructible. some of the reasoning is a time issue, another is because we didn't want the player to destroy the entire game :) so yes, some explosions will destroy parts of the world while others wont.

remember guys, i'm not the final decision maker here, so requests can really only go so far :)

just know that everyone here has been working extremely hard and we are all very proud of the game we are making. We hope everyone will enjoy it for what it is :)
-Rich

Good to hear from you Rich.

I have a couple of questions ;) .

Since the team is creating a single player only game, game length is quite important. It seems that Heavenly Sword is a perfect length for some, but more experienced players rush through it. How can you make sure you know exactly how long the game is going to take to play through? Is it a matter of using your dynamic difficulty settings? Can you really find out by using games testers?

And the dynamic difficulty. This really intrigues me. Has this been done before, and how does the engine work out how good you are?

This talk of layering animations has slightly confused me. Does this just mean you can start an animation as another is finishing in order to have a smooth transition, or can it litterally layer one animation on top of another - for example, you have an angry facial animation, but he's also scared - so it mixes the two together? Haha, I'm not making sense - but anymore explanations of this would be great.

Thanks, Deep.

deepbrown - dynamic difficulty has been done on at least one game, resistance. its a pretty nice feature actually. i'm not sure exactly what it does behind the scenes, but it can tell if you are really good or not and adjust accordingly. this really is there to make sure the length of the game is similar for really good players as well as really bad players.

as far as how we know how long it takes.. a lot is based off of how long a level takes, then finding out what other levels are similar and then trying to calculate an estimate. who knows.. its a little confusing to me as well.

the layered animation system works like this. the animator animates a run cycle. then the animator animates just an upper body dodge. then in code the dodge is added or layered on top of the run cycle so its a smooth transition. that way we dont need a specific run cycle for an upper body dodge. kinda get it?

4kp7up0qf3.jpg

Holy crap at the textures

this game has the best textures ever :oops:

Graphics

4kp7up0qf3.jpg

Holy crap at the textures

this game has the best textures ever :oops:

Yes. This is amazing (atleast SD view). Only problem is sometimes animation is jerky and also water has no 3d waves. For PS3 Cell I feel 3D waves is no problem. Many PS2 games have it, no?

Also, look will be better without splash effect while swimming. Splash particle effect is best for falling into water but for swimming the shader wave look is spoiled by splash particle effect that always looks the same.

Also, when he is hiding and shooting from balcony the balcony is very dark but he has light. I wonder if this is because of bad capture or if lighting not finished.

Other than this the game is really amazing. When he moved the statue and then for one moment the camera was very close to the statue with Drake in the background for depth of field, the statue texture was very sharp before depth of field changed. Amazing. How they can do these textures on the PS3 more than other games? I dont know. Even in Jungle view it is amazing. Everything looks 3D and beautiful.

Very nice! I see what was meant by taking a more stylized approach. I like it!

Draw distances are pretty good too.

i really like the lighting in that particular level. the light shines down on the water and it gives off a glow to the characters/walls. also shows off some of the puzzle solving in the game.

Yes. This is amazing (atleast SD view). Only problem is sometimes animation is jerky and also water has no 3d waves. For PS3 Cell I feel 3D waves is no problem. Many PS2 games have it, no?

Also, look will be better without splash effect while swimming. Splash particle effect is best for falling into water but for swimming the shader wave look is spoiled by splash particle effect that always looks the same.

Also, when he is hiding and shooting from balcony the balcony is very dark but he has light. I wonder if this is because of bad capture or if lighting not finished.

Other than this the game is really amazing. When he moved the statue and then for one moment the camera was very close to the statue with Drake in the background for depth of field, the statue texture was very sharp before depth of field changed. Amazing. How they can do these textures on the PS3 more than other games? I dont know. Even in Jungle view it is amazing. Everything looks 3D and beautiful.

Apparently they are layering textures as well - some surfaces have up 7 textures on them i think :oops:

deepbrown - dynamic difficulty has been done on at least one game, resistance. its a pretty nice feature actually. i'm not sure exactly what it does behind the scenes, but it can tell if you are really good or not and adjust accordingly. this really is there to make sure the length of the game is similar for really good players as well as really bad players.

as far as how we know how long it takes.. a lot is based off of how long a level takes, then finding out what other levels are similar and then trying to calculate an estimate. who knows.. its a little confusing to me as well.

the layered animation system works like this. the animator animates a run cycle. then the animator animates just an upper body dodge. then in code the dodge is added or layered on top of the run cycle so its a smooth transition. that way we dont need a specific run cycle for an upper body dodge. kinda get it?

I didn't know Resistance had dynamic difficulty....nice touch! All games should follow suit.

Well i hope you do well...I know it's too late, but I've always found that the games that feel longest are the ones that have a fake ending....they trick you into thinking it's the last scene, and then something unexpected happens. This happens at around the 8hour mark, and then after this there is another 4hours gameplay. Look to Prince of Persia Warrior Witthin - they do it perfectly here, you think the game ends when you kill Kylena, all your actions are moving towards this, but you kill her and she turns into the sands of time....etc etc. Not advice, just thoughts! It makes that 10-12hours feel longer, because you were expecting it to finish hours before!

I kind of get it...:/

Back