[360, PS3, Wii] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Gradthrawn

Veteran
No Hot Pursuit thread? What the hell is wrong with you people? :p

The demo is up on the NA PSN and Live! (not sure about the other regions). I found it strangely enjoyable. Although, for the life of me, I can't figure out why the hell they have a Crown Vic (Police Interceptor edition) with better handling than a tuned 370z. That just blows my mind. That's my first impression of the handling, at least. It may just take some adjusting to get use to the way they've tuned the characteristics of the Z, but it feels like a boat to me, so far. Regardless, I really enjoyed the demo and it convinced me to buy (I was a bit on the fence before, despite it being developed by Criterion).

In fact, I think I'll use my $20 Fable 3 pre-order credit for it.

I thought that was one of the poorer demos I have played in a while. 1.5GB and you do not even get to try out the core race gameplay? When a racing game demo doesn't actually let you race unless you spam your friends first, it makes me nervous.

The cop chase portion seems like what it is, a repackaged Burnout. That's not necessarily bad thing I guess though it highly depends on whether the straight up racing is as floaty and the cars as light and boxy feeling as the cop pursuit mode. The music for the cop mode also does not work at all (it is as if they have never watched a car chase scene ever). The orchestral approach could work if it was more, ahem, "driving" but as it is it just seems awkward and distracting. NFS is not a survival horror.

I am also curious whether the full game uses locked saves. I lost my NFS Shift saves (and Dragon Age Origins ones too) when my first PS3 slim failed so am pretty leery of EA anything at this point.

All that said, I am pretty starved for a new racing game so hopefully the full game pans out better than the demo, especially since Test Drive Unlimited 2 got pushed back to 2011 (grrrr).

Cheers

It available for EU PSN as well. It's disappointingly short though. 1 Cop race and 1 other if you have a friend to play. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Burnout Paradise demo. But I was going buy it anyway.

I love the game for its polish and awesome online friends battle features. They are very impressive and i LOVE that the game shows how many times you tried :). If you're the top of the leaderboards, you can even have the game suggest additional friends from your friend's friendslist who apparently have better scores so you have someone to compete with.

This has aslo made my must buy list but i cant decide which platform to get it on ps3 or PC (if only there was a PC demo).......

PLEASE, take a look at this video boys and girls.

This game is all kinds of awesome, and one of my candidates to Game of the Year -it's based on one of the best games ever made, in my opinion, which was Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit-.

Even if you aren't that interested in the game, genre and so on, PLEASE, just click in a gesture of solidarity.

You don't need to click on it like and impatient child, evil genius, or with a nervous looking gesture, but just clicking once.... :smile:

So, again, PLEASE, click on it :B we can all be geeks together yaaaaayyy

Full news:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-26-watch-a-nfs-trailer-get-free-cars

Criterion will release three cars for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit as a Christmas gift for fans, but only after the game's launch trailer is viewed one million times.

Three super car convertibles: the Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible; Lamborghini Murciélago LP 650-4 Roadster; and the Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible Final Edition, will be sent down the virtual pipes as a holiday gift only if the launch trailer gets the views the Guildford studio demands.

What launch trailer? The one below. At the time of writing it had just over 141,000 views on YouTube.

Time to get clicking.

"We're thrilled to see that a lot of you are loving Hot Pursuit as much as we are," Criterion wrote on its website.

This is an advert. Click next to continue.
PreviousNextView all â–¸ 1/4

"We all knew that Autolog was something special, but you guys are proving that it's going to change racing games forever.

"We actually feel sort of guilty for ruining so many friendships over the last week – with over three million challenges exchanged already, it's clear that all is fair when it comes to the Speedwall. So now we have a challenge for all of you!"

You have until the 12th December to push the launch trailer over the million mark. There it is below.

Hot Pursuit launched earlier this month to rave reviews. Tom awarded it 9/10 for Eurogamer.

p.s. I think it's a very nice gesture from EA

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I watched the video, even though I generally don't care for driving games.
Many thanks, NRP. You have been really friendly , and from here I think we could start to develop a weird friendship through your visiting to that video.

But well, then reality kicks in and one realizes that this is the Internet.... :cry: Anyway, it was a really courteous gesture. I love people like you. This is not the most particularly enlightening message here, sure, but it sums up my feelings quite well.

Thanks

I clicked play, and then saw it was just a trailer so stopped watching. Does it only count if you watch it to the end? I might well play it while doing something else!

I clicked play, and then saw it was just a trailer so stopped watching. Does it only count if you watch it to the end? I might well play it while doing something else!
I'm not sure how Youtube counting system works but I think clicking on it will count as a visualization.

By the way, Shifty, you are a kindred spirit. Thank you for being awesome and understanding. Seriously, you are, always. Well, you know my opinion on that if you had read between the lines. I appreciate your reaching out to me. It really means a lot.

What's wrong with it being a trailer? I wonder.... The game is just awesome, and the video shows why pretty well.

And with no changes in their counting system in these years, it seems unlikely your kind of brief view isn't going to count. If it makes you feel better, then watch it from the beginning to the end though.

I bought the new NFS and to be honest, Blur multiplayer is infinitely more fun. I'll give single player to NFS though, but multiplayer it's not even close. Blur was absolute chaos in multiplayer, sheer raw fun whereas NFS is incredibly tame in comparison. I realize it's hard for 8 cars to compete with 20 when it comes to mayhem, but still it's not even in the same league to me. Also there is an interesting phenomenon in NFS online where people are very quiet. Playing Blur online was always a party, it was madness, entertaining, and you never knew who you would meet and the things they would say. It was easily the best multi player experience I had had in ages both in game play and in the people involved. NFS on the other hand is....quiet. Not much talking going on at all. It's really eerie, and without the human interaction it feels like a single player game even though you are actually online.

I'm still playing the game and trying to get into it, but Blur has really spoiled me at this point. Don't know how much longer I will keep NFS for though, I see ebay in it's near future.

I bought the new NFS and to be honest, Blur multiplayer is infinitely more fun. I'll give single player to NFS though, but multiplayer it's not even close. Blur was absolute chaos in multiplayer, sheer raw fun whereas NFS is incredibly tame in comparison. I realize it's hard for 8 cars to compete with 20 when it comes to mayhem, but still it's not even in the same league to me. Also there is an interesting phenomenon in NFS online where people are very quiet. Playing Blur online was always a party, it was madness, entertaining, and you never knew who you would meet and the things they would say. It was easily the best multi player experience I had had in ages both in game play and in the people involved. NFS on the other hand is....quiet. Not much talking going on at all. It's really eerie, and without the human interaction it feels like a single player game even though you are actually online.

I'm still playing the game and trying to get into it, but Blur has really spoiled me at this point. Don't know how much longer I will keep NFS for though, I see ebay in it's near future.
Maybe my car whooshed past you and you didn't notice me. xDDD But perhaps we might coincide someday online, so why not keeping the games?

I have sold some games I had and once I did I always felt kind of guilty so I decided to not sell my games anymore, except if a particular game is just horrible. Judging from the Youtube video stats, a lot of people who play that game don't speak english as their first language. Besides that, you can always have fun in silence.

If you would like to submit your findings about when regular players talk more or less depending on the game, you mind would be dazzled at the amount of time and games you'd have to play to reach conclusions.

Looks to me if you were placed in a non talkative environment for extensive periods of time, you couldn't stand it. But if the game is like Need for Speed I don't care about that. In fact there are times when if people talk they are just annoying kids saying weird things.

I recently bought a popular online-only game and I didn't hear anyone talking, in a game where team play was really basic, and people managed to do just fine.

I picked up the game on Black Friday. I haven't played it online yet, but I'm really enjoying the SP experience. I love the sense of speed in the game.

I ordered Blur on Amazon a while back, but haven't received it yet. Is it compatible with the X360 wheel?

One helluva nice looking game for sure, but the ridiculous rubberband-AI makes it a definite no-buy for me. You can drive as flawlessly as you want, the outcome of every race is decided in the last 5 miles regardless.

I picked up the game on Black Friday. I haven't played it online yet, but I'm really enjoying the SP experience. I love the sense of speed in the game.

I ordered Blur on Amazon a while back, but haven't received it yet. Is it compatible with the X360 wheel?
Yes, it is. They officially support the Microsoft wheel but any other X360 wheel should work too. I have the MS wheel since 2007, and I'm not sure if there's a new version of it, but it works great.

One helluva nice looking game for sure, but the ridiculous rubberband-AI makes it a definite no-buy for me. You can drive as flawlessly as you want, the outcome of every race is decided in the last 5 miles regardless.
Yes, I agree the game looks simply stunningly beautiful. I didn't hear a lot of people say they didn't like the AI thing. Personally, it doesn't really bother me.

My only gripe about the game is that it isn't like Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit, with the addition of turbo and some other changes, it feels more like a Burnout game, which are great games but not like NFS3: HP.

The original was a masterpiece, so I didn't get my hopes up too much since I heard about the new Hot Pursuit. Need for Speed 3 was closer to PGR series, I think. Besides that, it was the peak of the series, in my opinion, along with Need for Speed 1 -second best- and NFS Porsche.

NFS3 was a semi-sim, with excellent physics and great graphics for its time. It looked astonishing using an 3D Monster card.

I also remember editing the individual files of the cars using Wordpad :oops::smile:, changing the weight of the vehicles and so on. My favourite car was the Ferrari 355.

In fact, I recall changing the F355's weight to just 200 Kilograms, which meant great acceleration --although it was nearly uncontrollable. Then I edited it again, leaving it at 500 Kg. The handling was way better, plus the acceleration times -from 0 to 100 Km/h- were lightning fast too, though not as much as before.

Good memories. Sometimes I kind of wish I were stuck retrogaming since most games I liked beyond measure are old games.

Fortunately though, cars and sports games are better than ever technically and gameplay wise nowadays, especially the later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back