PS3 for me

I've decided on getting a PS3. Finally. Yes its been a long time in the wings but now it's happening. The only thing I need to do now is order/go buy one. Seeing as there are two editions for a short while now with Slim and unsold old PS3s I'd love to hear from upgrade users to Slim. Reading online there is a slight speed advantage which may be related to a new hard drive and some difference in noise characteristics as well as some features. The new sound output functionality and TV sync over HDMI seems like a plus but this new edition lacks Linux support. In all then there is very little other then looks that concern me in my choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me the older fat one is the better looking one. Some may disagree, which is alright but not what I started this thread for. No, what concerns me is a few niggling questions I hoped I could crowdsource an answer to, from you guys and gals, my favorites!

A, I will go out on a limb with a stupid first question regarding firmware. I gather that firmware is specifically tuned to support all SKUs and by now every ounce of performance has been eked from whatever hardware exists in the old ones. Or has it? Will Sony continue to tweak and upgrade code for the old SKUs as they will with the Slim or just focus all their attention on the new boy on the block? Am I mixing firmware tweaks up with GameOS development?

B, Are there any reasons for me, really, to go for a new Slim according to you despite a preference leaning towards the Old one? Different/better user experience with software/hardware?

I'm all ears, and hope the Old version doesn't run out before my choice is made :oops:

I've got a classic PS3 and no intention to upgrade.

But is Linux support really important for you? Because frankly, most any old PC is a superior Linux platform. Heck, even running it inside a VM on Windows is probably more useful. Unless you actually intend to play around with Cell development, I guess.

If I were buying right now I'd get a slim in a heartbeat.

From what I've heard, some Slims have a fan that's completely silent whereas others have the louder fan. I have one with the louder fan and it's comparable to my sister's 80GB fat and her 40GB fat that was stolen. I think there's a higher chance you'll get a very quiet Slim, or at the very worst, one that is comparable to the fat. The fat isn't loud by any means either, though. The Slim also runs a tad cooler and uses slightly less power.
On the negative side, the Slim (not all, but most) create a fairly loud popping sound once in a while due to the plastic expanding/contracting from heat/cooling.

Reliability is still unknown for the Slims, but so far there have been virtually no problems. It may be a tad more reliable because it runs slightly cooler. But if you really prefer the look of the fat, and you're not interested in HDMI CEC, Bitstreaming of HD audio etc., then there's nothing wrong with the current 80GB fat models. But just curious... have you actually seen one in person? They look much better in person.

For me, if I changed my 60GB for a Slim, I would save a fair bit on the electricity bill. I have the launch unit that uses twice the power of the Slim.

From what I've heard the Slim is a lot quieter, but when it does spin up it may have a slightly more annoying sound (higher pitch). But this is all from hearsay - I haven't worked with the Slim.

Other advantages of the Slim are more sound output options (Bitstream) where the fat is limited to LPCM formats, and as you know the CEC / Bravia-sync thing.

The only advantage I see in my old launch unit is that it has 4 ports and various memory card slots. I kinda like having those and typically have 3 items connected to my PS3 through USB. But obviously a little adapter solves that issue nicely.

I'd say that unless you are absolutely certain you want to do Cell development, you're probably better off with the Slim.

I heard a Slim over Christmas and it wasn't any quieter than my Fat (UK 40GB), seemed to me. It was also a bit larger than I thought it'd be (forgot it was even a Slim until I went to eject the disc, the PS3 positioned in the dark under the TV). The buttons did feel cheap compared to the futurisitc touch-points on the Fat, but a straightforward press-the-button-off feature is nice.

Regards firnwares eeking performance, the devs can get so close to the metal that's not an issue with consoles. It's not like PC drivers where a later driver can improve game performance. RSX will be processing at RSX's speed in all games, and that won't change with firmwares. There'll be no performance advantage to the Slim that you have to worry about.

Myself, I'd say if you see a good deal on a Fat, it may well be worth it. Although that doesn't factor in reliability. Maybe a Slim will work for longer?

I don't really care for the Linux part other than out of novelty value (read: won't be used) and not for the CEC or Bitstreaming... the last two mostly because I don't know exactly how I'll benefit from them. The PS3 will be around for quite a while in my house mostly because I see a value in its Blu-Ray drive so perhaps those features will come in handy later?

The firmware question wasn't exactly tuned towards gaming performance as such, that will be the same across the board I gather since anything else would cause an uproar. But looking at the speedups gathered overtime in the XMB and read-write for loads in game data both on the Old and recently on the Slim through firmware updates it is more or less just a curiosity if it will continue to improve across the board or only for the Slim from now on, seeing as it's the main SKU. Any update to the GameOS and XMB code would be a plus on all platforms I imagine. However (I'm a complete noob in this area; Heck, i don't even know if it's a valid question) if speedups also come from firmware based hardware tweaks Sony could have already tweaked their Old SKUs to perfection or, if not, just stop developing them in favor of Slim.

Again, I don't even know if it's a valid question, just something floating in my head at the moment. Also, I just love this forum. I don't ever think I've been somewhere with so much concentrated awesomeness. Hope you all have a good new years.

PS.
How is the build quality of the Slim? I haven't been able to see one personally yet, but the heat expansion cracking sounds like a possible issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the negative side, the Slim (not all, but most) create a fairly loud popping sound once in a while due to the plastic expanding/contracting from heat/cooling.
I've been hearing that too and it did spook me at first but since it was described as common my mind is now in rest.
I would go for the original PS3 with glossy piano finish personally, mainly due to better look, more features and touch sensor. Of course the Slim has its advantages but that's just me.

I'm desperately trying to see if there is anyone selling the PS3 SKU without chrome or piano black, but it seems that SKU is rather old and my chances are negligible, unless I buy second hand (Do not want). What do you find, personally, to be better with the Slim? I'm interested in everyones point of view on this :)

I don't have a Slim. Since you want to use it as a Blu-ray player as well, HDMI-CEC may come in handy later.

We've got 10 slims and 20 various phats running at work. At idle they're both fairly similar on noise output, although so far the phats tend to get more noisier over time quicker as they have more ventilation ports that ingest more dust over time that increases the noise output. Playing blu-rays or games the Phats on average tend to get noisier (as they're typically running hotter and have more ventilation, ergo more noise leakage).

I personally have a 60GB launch unit that has all the bells and whistles (PS2 hardware compatibility, memory card slots, SACD playback, 4 USB ports, upgraded to 500GB HDD), and a 40GB phat (for linux hacking) and I love it. However if I were to be buying into the PS3 today, I'd go with a slim, especially if I was going to be using it as a blu-ray player (HDMI-CEC support).

I've decided on getting a PS3. Finally. Yes its been a long time in the wings but now it's happening. The only thing I need to do now is order/go buy one. Seeing as there are two editions for a short while now with Slim and unsold old PS3s I'd love to hear from upgrade users to Slim. Reading online there is a slight speed advantage which may be related to a new hard drive and some difference in noise characteristics as well as some features. The new sound output functionality and TV sync over HDMI seems like a plus but this new edition lacks Linux support. In all then there is very little other then looks that concern me in my choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me the older fat one is the better looking one. Some may disagree, which is alright but not what I started this thread for. No, what concerns me is a few niggling questions I hoped I could crowdsource an answer to, from you guys and gals, my favorites!

A, I will go out on a limb with a stupid first question regarding firmware. I gather that firmware is specifically tuned to support all SKUs and by now every ounce of performance has been eked from whatever hardware exists in the old ones. Or has it? Will Sony continue to tweak and upgrade code for the old SKUs as they will with the Slim or just focus all their attention on the new boy on the block? Am I mixing firmware tweaks up with GameOS development?

B, Are there any reasons for me, really, to go for a new Slim according to you despite a preference leaning towards the Old one? Different/better user experience with software/hardware?

I'm all ears, and hope the Old version doesn't run out before my choice is made :oops:

Well. I have both and I think whatever you buy will give you identical satisfaction.

I installed Linux on my Fat PS3 but I didnt use it almost at all. Its absence in slim will not be felt really. If you are a casual user who never used linux before the experience is not that seamless to really make you use it often. You have to "switch" boot ups whenever you want to use Linux or the PS3 OS tplay games. Also Linux on the PS3 isnt as well optimized and perfectly implemented as when you use it on a normal computer but it is functional. If you want of course to use a computer and gaming console through one device in your living room, a good user friendly Linux version (there are many PS3 optimized Linux's to find) a Fat PS3 will serve you. But the majority of people dont see much reason to use it in their PS3's especially when gaming occupies almost completely their time and they own a PC that does is work already well and better.

About your questions, since the differences between the two consoles are very very few and the hardware is in essence identical, I cant see how Sony can utilize more the capabilities of one version over the other through future firmwares. Both users will continue to experience identical upgraded features with very minor differences if they ever exist.

Apart from the few differences you mentioned in some features between the two like Linux or Bravia Sync or sound, personally I d choose slim because it is more environmental friendly and less costly in terms of power consumption than the original. The fat one is very power hungry. Think about the environment and your pocket in the long term ;)

I recently upgraded to the Slim and while I thought my old PS3 was more aesthetically pleasing when looking at the units side by side. I've become more appreciative of the PS3 Slim look. Sitting in my entertainment center, the PS3 Slim almost hides itself with its smaller form factor and matte black color with only its two backlit buttons giving it away especially in lowlight situations.

Other than the added HDMI-CEC support and lack of additional USBs/linux/Memory cards slots, there isn't much difference between the two. I wouldn't have bought a Slim if my original hadn't failed and haven't missed my Phat since I bought my Slim. In the end, if you're aren't biased by the obvious differences between the two, then its a no lose proposition in terms of which one to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sent letters to two online stores to see if they have any Old PS3s without chrome on them in stock, if not I'm definetly going with the Slim :yep2:

I went from an OG 60 fat, to 40 fat, to slim. Out of the 3, I prefer the slim the best by a good margin. Not only is it a lot quieter, it generates a lot less heat. I even prefer the looks of the slim over the fat. I've controlled it with Bravia Link, and it works great. Only downside is the popping/creaking/cracking sounds that happen during warmup and cooldown.

I used to have an 80GB fat w/PS2 backwards compatibility. Now I have 2 slims (1 at my place, 1 at my g/f's).

Aesthetically, I prefer the piano black finish of the old PS3 but the slim is much easier to fit into tight places.

As for heat/power/noise hands-down the slim is better here. The fan of the fat PS3 would ramp up under heavy use (many games, folding@home, Blu-ray playback) whereas I have yet to hear the fan on either slim, both of which are left folding 24x7. Heat output is way down too, of course. The exhaust from the fat would be noticeably hot under heavy load whereas the slim's exhaust is somewhere around ambient temp.

The backwards compatibility of the old PS3 was nice (when it worked) but since I have a PS2 at both places I just use it when I want to play an old PS2 game.

All-in-all I'd say there's no reason to get an old PS3 at this point unless you can find a backwards compatible model which you can then turn around and sell for a profit.

I have an original 60Gb edition upgraded to 500Gb and a couple of months ago I bought a Slim as a replacement and upgraded that to 500Gb.

The fat was a far more imposing beast but the slim has a certain menace to it as it sits in the corner. I much prefer the matte finish, the glossy fat was just a dust and fingerprint magnet!

One thing that lets the slim down is the lack of USB ports, you only get two. I have a PlayTV box, external 1Tb HD, PS Eye, and two controllers. On the fat that wouldn't have been a problem as you have four ports. I had to invest in a USB extender to add enough ports to cope with the extras.

There is a noticeable difference in noise level between the two units when they are in use, the fat is the noisier of the two. The only thing is that the BD drive is noisier when seeking on disc and practically silent when just reading. Makes some games a bit noisier.

The slim uses far less power than the fat, but also seems to get a bit hotter over time. But the lower power consumption make the slim worth it as I live off the grid (solar and wind power only).

I'd vote slim!

It's an about half hour after midnight over here in Sweden now so I'd just want wish everyone a pleasant new decade of technological marvels and social development for the good of all.

With that out of the way; The PS3 works well over a hdmi -> dvi connector for PC screens right?

Back