[360, PS3] RAGE Discussion

dont know if its been mentioned but having a 50-60gig game is really a good piracy deterent measure especally with ISP's in the US going down the metered download limit path.

in Australia my 55gig a month plan with some other stuff tacked on the side costs me $110 a month, it will be cheaper to go out and buy the game. assuming your using USENET thats a 1:7 loss from encoding so that puts it in 58-68 gig range. Also i only get about 12Mbit so with real world overheads about 1200-1300K/sec so thats only around 15 hours but some one stuck on a 1.5mbit connection is around 125 hours.

maybe they should delibrately bloat it even bigger :D:LOL:

dont know if its been mentioned but having a 50-60gig game is really a good piracy deterent measure especally with ISP's in the US going down the metered download limit path.

Most of the download limits have been rebuffed with the high profile loss of Time Warner's plans to institute limits due to congressional pressure.

Also, screenshots marked as being from the XBOX 360 version:

First pic looks nice! No AO though, but I'm nitpicking. I'm seeing some kinda of moire-ish pattern on pic 4, just above the middle car, I wonder what's causing that, over compression perhaps? The vertex count looks relatively low, so I wonder if they will be able to get 2xmsaa on the 360 version at 60fps.

itsmydamnation said:
dont know if its been mentioned but having a 50-60gig game is really a good piracy deterent measure especally with ISP's in the US going down the metered download limit path

Not much of a deterrent alas, people routinely download blu-ray torrents now so a 50gb download won't stop them. Isp's only send you a warning if you are an egregious bandwidth offender, mostly those seeding lots of torrents, it won't affect most people.

I see ID still sucks at skin-shaders. Why do their character models always look like wax figures? They are doing wonders with textures and baked-in lighting, but it still seems like they don't put much effort into material shaders.

I see ID still sucks at skin-shaders. Why do their character models always look like wax figures? They are doing wonders with textures and baked-in lighting, but it still seems like they don't put much effort into material shaders.

Skin shaders is ok atm, however I am the only person who gets a low poly vibe from some models.

Sure I understand and shaders are supposed to makeup/disguise the poly and be more effecient but sometimes they just seemed to be modeled with unfortunate topology that cant be hidden with some angles?

Still loving the animation so far though.

I think the game looks amazing. And all that on the 360! I want to see the maxed out PC version :cool:

First pic looks nice! No AO though, but I'm nitpicking.

Since the lighting is completely static anyway (the environment seems kind of as well), I'm thinking they'll just have tons of baked in contact shadows like K2 for example. Overall though the actual lighting seems very impressive so far, in my opinion.

I agree about the low polys, if you freeze frame one of the zombies close up, it looks terrible from both a poly and texture point of view (blurry!). But IMHO, there's far too much shadowing on some of the model's faces. Also, the terrain in some spots shows obvious low-poly edges. Maybe this trailer is not shot from a PC version?

The scene with the urinal with water flowing looks particularly bad (why isn't it mega-textured?) and the guy's shirt (and the fat guy at the end's face) seem to show that classic 'normal map shadows' look, while the brightly lit regions have way too much specular, with over-exposed forearms on some characters looking like phong-shaded plastic.

I think the game looks amazing. And all that on the 360! I want to see the maxed out PC version :cool:

Since the lighting is completely static anyway (the environment seems kind of as well), I'm thinking they'll just have tons of baked in contact shadows like K2 for example. Overall though the actual lighting seems very impressive so far, in my opinion.

Where is it said that it's the 360 version?

I agree about the low polys, if you freeze frame one of the zombies close up, it looks terrible from both a poly and texture point of view (blurry!). But IMHO, there's far too much shadowing on some of the model's faces. Also, the terrain in some spots shows obvious low-poly edges. Maybe this trailer is not shot from a PC version?

The scene with the urinal with water flowing looks particularly bad (why isn't it mega-textured?) and the guy's shirt (and the fat guy at the end's face) seem to show that classic 'normal map shadows' look, while the brightly lit regions have way too much specular, with over-exposed forearms on some characters looking like phong-shaded plastic.

2hf3voo.jpg

2ajt3s1.jpg

Yet look at the handle of the mug in the second pic! Distribution of poly budget seems to favour scenery. And faces.

The scenery does look superb. It reminds me of the Motorstorm E3 '05 previs. Megatexture looks ideal for racers.

Yet look at the handle of the mug in the second pic! Distribution of poly budget seems to favour scenery. And faces.

The scenery does look superb. It reminds me of the Motorstorm E3 '05 previs. Megatexture looks ideal for racers.

Doesn't look that good :)

Looks cool, I like it's style. Before I used to think the faces were really impressive, but now I think they need to sort out their skin shaders.

Back