360 Modding

Why dont people so zestfully mod Sony consoles?

Is it the lack of standard hard drive? Are they just boring? What?

I suppose it's the PC-like nature of Xbox..then again, not this time around..and it already looks like modders love the 360.

you live under a rock or what? ALOT of ps2's are modded
and since a year or so, you can attach an harddrive and load your games on them

never underestimate the power of the reverseengineer ;)

btw, i see maybe software solutions for the xbx360

cd's will be available to load up the emulator software on xbox360 by microsoft. this means it will be able to load up from CDR executables. maybe a backdoor will be found.

I'm sure a lot of people modchip the PS2 to pirate games.

But it just doesn't seem to have the mod following Xbox does.

Of course, I can see why last gen. But if it repeats this gen, when neither console is more PC-like than the other, you'll have to wonder.

Guden Oden said:
MS was never interested in selling hardware for the sake of it, quite the opposite as they took a financial kick in the goolies each time someone bought a box. What relatively little money they earned back (compared to how much they spent) came in the form of game royalties, and MS is just as aware as everybody else that users with modded consoles are considerably less likely to actually buy their software.

So no, I don't think they're interested in pretending to be against modding, but secretly looking through the fingers and allowing it.

MS was never interested in making money either(on the XBOX). They were interested in increasing market share.

They could've done alot of things to circumvent modding in the later versions of the box, but they couldn't be bothered. They're happy as long as it doesn't become too mainstream.

Bill said:
I'm sure a lot of people modchip the PS2 to pirate games.

But it just doesn't seem to have the mod following Xbox does.

Of course, I can see why last gen. But if it repeats this gen, when neither console is more PC-like than the other, you'll have to wonder.

Cuase it never came with a HDD. Therefore it has no APPS.

XBOX has dozens applications you can install, that's why it's so popular. XBOX Media Centre, free DVD player with progressive scan support, NES emulators, SNES emulators, PSX emulators. Hell, you can stream live radio from your PC over the thing or get a weather forecast if you want.

scooby_dooby said:
MS was never interested in making money either(on the XBOX). They were interested in increasing market share.

They could've done alot of things to circumvent modding in the later versions of the box, but they couldn't be bothered. They're happy as long as it doesn't become too mainstream.

I think you're overestimating MS' friendliness in this particular situation.

It's funny, cause 3 years ago TechTV did entire shows on modding your XBOX, tehy showed XBMC in action, they showed all the cool stuff you could do...

Who owns TechTV? Only the co-founder of MS Paul Allen...

scooby_dooby said:
It's funny, cause 3 years ago TechTV did entire shows on modding your XBOX, tehy showed XBMC in action, they showed all the cool stuff you could do...

Who owns TechTV? Only the co-founder of MS Paul Allen...

:LOL:

And on that note, I'm sad that that show is essentially dead. :cry:

scooby_dooby said:
Cuase it never came with a HDD. Therefore it has no APPS.

XBOX has dozens applications you can install, that's why it's so popular. XBOX Media Centre, free DVD player with progressive scan support, NES emulators, SNES emulators, PSX emulators. Hell, you can stream live radio from your PC over the thing or get a weather forecast if you want.

yes XBX MC is a fable
and with 4 xbox modded we can do a very cheap linux cluster
so the mod have a lot of (computer-like) uses (emulators, multimedia programs, linux, win95, developer kit, etc)

for ps2 is only for pirated games, or I'm wrong?

SynapticSignal said:
for ps2 is only for pirated games, or I'm wrong?

The PS2 also has emulators and media player. And the good thing about it is you don't need to mod your unit to run em (thus not voiding the warranty or what not). The bad; they're not as stable and/or as good as the stuff for Xbox.

.Z

-NakedZ- said:
The PS2 also has emulators and media player. And the good thing about it is you don't need to mod your unit to run em (thus not voiding the warranty or what not). The bad; they're not as stable and/or as good as the stuff for Xbox.

.Z

Can you give a link to the media player thing you mentioned? Pretty please :D

It was lack of a stock HDD that was the reason the PS2 apps never developed to the same level as XBOX. There are apps, they're just not on the same level.

I'm hopin that the mod community really carries over for the X360, despite the lack of a universal HDD.

Back