[360] Mass Effect

I played Kotor. They also made Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, correct? Anyway, I think the dialogue is a little more concise than in Kotor. Kotor was way too long winded for my taste, and you always had your teammates running up to nag you about their personal history. Still, it isn't mind blowing stuff in Mass Effect, but I think it's suitable and gives you just enough options to make it add something positive to the game.

Yeah, that's essentially it. Bioware has always been very solid, but they were never as inspired as, say, Black Isle or any of the companies that broke off from them. On the other hand, Bioware was also a lot more technically talented -- imagine, an RPG that didn't have a dozen broken quests and crash to desktop errors. One thing I sort of miss in ME is how you CAN'T interact with your teammates if you're not on the ship. Any other time and you get a one line response. Not even for a 'What do you think about this?'.

I highly doubt I'll hit 60 before the game is done, but I'm trying to pretty much do everything as I go. So far I've completed every secondary quest I've had before I've continued in the main story.

It's not possible on a single playthrough. You're locked to level 50 on your first playthrough. By hitting 50, you unlock levels 51-60. Nothing exciting, just more points, and a better chance to get the spectre X weapons.

I'm right at the end. Part way through the last part of the story. I'm pretty sure I completed all of the secondary missions with the exception of the ones where you have to find all the badges and deposits.

It's definitely more entertaining if you act like a jerk. I kind of split on the paragon and renegade, but I was still mostly paragon. Most of the characters that I didn't find annoying I was pretty nice to, or if it seemed advantageous to be nice, I'd be nice. Anyone I didn't like would get the asshole treatment.

I read some complaints that it didn't live up tot he hype, but I didn't follow the hype, so overall it seemed pretty solid and enjoyable to me. Not one of my all-time favourites, but I'd say it is a really good game and definitely worth playing. Looking forward to a sequel. Just hope they massively improve the mako missions.

It's definitely more entertaining if you act like a jerk. I kind of split on the paragon and renegade, but I was still mostly paragon. Most of the characters that I didn't find annoying I was pretty nice to, or if it seemed advantageous to be nice, I'd be nice. Anyone I didn't like would get the asshole treatment.

It is, though on a few occasions acting like an asshole can make you lose mission opportunities. A few times I'd choose the 'stop bothering me' option and, surprise, they stopped bothering me, haha.

I read some complaints that it didn't live up tot he hype, but I didn't follow the hype, so overall it seemed pretty solid and enjoyable to me. Not one of my all-time favourites, but I'd say it is a really good game and definitely worth playing. Looking forward to a sequel. Just hope they massively improve the mako missions.

I agree. It's a solid game, pretty fun, it's just a typical (post-KOTOR) Bioware game... there's always the promise of playing in a fleshed out world/galaxy, but in the end you end up running through a handful of several really, really small cities/worlds. I just don't think it's one of the best games ever, nor of this generation and I'm not even sure if it was one of the 5 best games of 2007.

Once the install to HDD option kicks in on the 360, this will get replayed again. So far, this have been in my top 3 of games played this generation, so far.
Being an achievement whore I'm already on the 3rd playthrough (on insane). Due to my first playthough being "blind" I think I'll need to do it 4.5 times in total! Not getting board with it yet (although it is intersperced with frequent bouts of Civilization Revolution).

Being an achievement whore I'm already on the 3rd playthrough (on insane). Due to my first playthough being "blind" I think I'll need to do it 4.5 times in total! Not getting board with it yet (although it is intersperced with frequent bouts of Civilization Revolution).

Yeah I have a quite a few achievements left also thus the urge to do another playthough or two. I did the mistake of advancing too far in the story so a lot of the side quests couldn't be completed since I had to return to central space station without being on the wanted list :(

I'm weird with acheivements. It depends on the game. Some are well done and appeal to me and thus I'll go after them but others just are not very inspiring.

I think I was able to get most of the interesting achievements on my first play. All that's left are the ones about numbers of kills, level 60, insane difficulty and the ones where you complete with certain party members. Not really the stuff that would warrant another play through for me. I'm not much of an achievement whore, so most of my games I finish about half of the achievements.

I think I was able to get most of the interesting achievements on my first play. All that's left are the ones about numbers of kills, level 60, insane difficulty and the ones where you complete with certain party members. Not really the stuff that would warrant another play through for me. I'm not much of an achievement whore, so most of my games I finish about half of the achievements.

The interesting part of the achievements is that you get bonuses to subsequent characters. So you can have, say, the pistol skill on whatever the tech/biotics class is called, or a biotic power on a soldier.

Just finished the game ... I missed the level 50 achievement by what must have been less than a thousand exp. What a pissoff.

Cool game though. Didn't try the DLC. Maybe I'll go back to it after I've played something else.

Just finished the game ... I missed the level 50 achievement by what must have been less than a thousand exp. What a pissoff.

Cool game though. Didn't try the DLC. Maybe I'll go back to it after I've played something else.

You can get the achievement if you if you start a new campaign use the same character. (you'll start at level 49 with all the gear etc)

You can get the achievement if you if you start a new campaign use the same character. (you'll start at level 49 with all the gear etc)

Wait, I start at the beginning at level 49? That means I could sweep through the game doing only the main plot because I already did completionist thing.

Just curious as to how many endings there are? One for paragon and one for renegade, or a few for each? Please tag spoilers for those who haven't played.

Yes you can just farm achievements.

Cool. I think I'll play through and just do all the main story, important stuff. Maybe even twice more. It should be pretty quick. Not sure I can handle the insane difficulty though, but I'll do hardcore. I'll do once as renegade and then once again as paragon and make sure I pick all the choices I want in preparation for the sequel.

Cool. I think I'll play through and just do all the main story, important stuff. Maybe even twice more. It should be pretty quick. Not sure I can handle the insane difficulty though, but I'll do hardcore. I'll do once as renegade and then once again as paragon and make sure I pick all the choices I want in preparation for the sequel.
So far I've been playing the "insane" difficulty and its not too insane. I'm on the cusp of level 60 (going from 59->60 requires 160,000 XP points!) with Kaiden and Liara - these two just go nuts using their biotic abilities, flinging any enemies around at this level (it gets a bit silly when you are outside - the enemies can end up off the radar quite easily). The enemies generally have more health, but if you aquire the best weapons then you can just continually shoot with high damage weapons and no worries about overheating.

According to Gamereactor, Mass Effect 2 could be coming out on the PS3 six months after the Xbox 360 version ships.

The game will be made by the same team that worked on the bible and the release date will be TBA 2010

Rumors that BioWare will develop Mass Effect for the PS3 have been doing the rounds for some time now. There is a new rumor on the prowl; the rumor indicates that the next iteration of Mass Effect will be coming out on the PS3. At this point it is a tossup as anything is possible with BioWare currently being owned by EA.

Gamereactor indicates that the source was taken from Gamespot just a few days ago before the information was taken down suddenly.

The Mass Effect on the PS3 rumor has resurfaced a number of times in the past, to be shot down by BioWare. However, with EA taking over the Mass Effect franchise, the chances are good that this series will most likely go multiplatform.

Reports also indicate that EA may have spent close to a billion dollars in acquiring BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios after paying out to the stockholders and the bonuses to key employees. With Mass Effect selling only two million units on the Xbox 360, it makes sense the publisher will want to look at different avenues to make good on its investment.

However, if this is indeed the case, I am curious as to how EA and BioWare plans on brining the PS3 players up to speed in regards to the story. How will PS3 owners even know what the Reapers are without playing Mass Effect 1?

Mass Effect is definitely a great game with an involving story and arguably has one of the best dialog tree seen to date. This game should definitely be made available to as many people possible, as it really is underappreciated in terms of sales. As always we will update you with any new developments in the story.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/10/15/mass-effect-2-on-ps3-rumor-resurfac es/

Just let there be a ME2!

Good for PS3 owners. Hopefully they get part 1 at some point also. It's my favorite game of this gen so far. I just want a sequel damnit :(

Anybody know where to pick up a copy cheap? (New, that is)?

I can't believe they didn't make a demo for this game. For me, it's one of those - no demo, no buy. Not at full price anyway. I'm just not sure I like the genre.

Just let there be a ME2!

Good for PS3 owners. Hopefully they get part 1 at some point also. It's my favorite game of this gen so far. I just want a sequel damnit :(

I am playing the PC version but... are you supposed to get so little for wares sold?

I mean sure simple guns, rifles and sniper but 12-25 credits!? :???:

Kinda makes me confused how I will be able to buy those 20k+ credit stuffs ever...

I am playing the PC version but... are you supposed to get so little for wares sold?

I mean sure simple guns, rifles and sniper but 12-25 credits!? :???:

Kinda makes me confused how I will be able to buy those 20k+ credit stuffs ever...

Prices go up and you collect a LOT of vendor trash. The 250 item limit runs out very fast indeed.

Back