[360] Ilomilo : Photosurrealistic rendering

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Just seen this on Eurogamer. By going with minimal content, the quality can be ramped up, and the results are stunningly convincing.
Edit: Not quite so convincing in 720p, but still looks great. A sort of Mario Galaxy vibe with LBP scraps construction.

A game in this art or rendering style would probably get Shifty wet and all since he's the littlebigmod but it's just not hardcore nuf for me. Nice graphics though.

I don't see anything wrong with 720p footage.
The jaggies and polygon edges are much more prominent in high quality feeds, detracting a little from the sense of realism. But it's still very pretty. The DOF works very well as the critters are supposed to look small.

A game in this art or rendering style would probably get Shifty wet and all since he's the littlebigmod ...
Not quite. ;) I want to see developers pushing the edge on making something look real and solid as if it were filmed rather than constructed from numbers. By cutting back on the content, they could do this, but it'd need games developed with that in mind. LBP's irradiance slicing method is probably the best lighting this gen, but needed the game to be a 2.5D sidescroller to implement it. Something like pool/snooker should look photorealistic this gen. I applaud the developers of Ilomilo for going for that filmed look rather than something like Banjo Threeie which is clearly a computer game made of patchwork.

Can someone please explain me something:

I look at this game, and it immediately reminds me of LBP?!
Is this related to the art?
Or is this related to the realistic lightning/graphics approach they chose?
Why do these games look so similar to me?

OK, that is seriously cool. :) Hopefully there isn't any time limit or anything like that. The game just looks so cute and relaxing and non-stress inducing. Be nice to have a little puzzler platformer where time isn't the enemy and you can take your time to try to think through the puzzles. :)

Regards,
SB

Not quite. ;) I want to see developers pushing the edge on making something look real and solid as if it were filmed rather than constructed from numbers. By cutting back on the content, they could do this, but it'd need games developed with that in mind. LBP's irradiance slicing method is probably the best lighting this gen, but needed the game to be a 2.5D sidescroller to implement it. Something like pool/snooker should look photorealistic this gen. I applaud the developers of Ilomilo for going for that filmed look rather than something like Banjo Threeie which is clearly a computer game made of patchwork.
Maybe LBP 2 will surprise you at E3;). I sure hope they could use some form of pseudo raytracing for snooker on current gen consoles too.

LBP's lighting is exceptional. Anyone using SSAO and baked AO is going to be at a visual disadvantage. This does far better than most though.

FYI Ilimilo is also a Android/Windows Phone techdemo/game devloped to showcase Qualcomm's SnapDragon/MSM7227 (both have the AMDZ430 GPU) and from what I saw during MWC at Qualcomm's booth it looks nearly indentical to the console version (it was running in WVGA). Now I wonder if it will also be comercialy available on Windows Phone 7 (now that they have Xbox Live integration).

FYI Ilimilo is also a Android/Windows Phone techdemo/game devloped to showcase Qualcomm's SnapDragon/MSM7227 (both have the AMDZ430 GPU) and from what I saw during MWC at Qualcomm's booth it looks nearly indentical to the console version (it was running in WVGA). Now I wonder if it will also be comercialy available on Windows Phone 7 (now that they have Xbox Live integration).

Youtube confirms your accusations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkb_kDbrRE&fmt=22

Back