~3 million PS2s sold during december in US. (PR)

Over 4 million consoles sold through to consumers during the holiday season.

Chalking up a 42 percent year-over-year increase, Sony's PlayStation 2 posted sell-through numbers of over 4 million this holiday season in North America alone. SCEA sold over one million PS2s during November and nearly three million additional units during December.

Sony also said that its online gaming initiative was surpassing expectations, and in the period between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day, gamers spent a whopping 1 million hours playing online titles.

According to NPD FunWorld, 45 million PS2 titles were sold as of November 2002, bringing the software attach rate to 7.7 to 1, dwarfing those of Xbox and GameCube. Aside from the mega-hit Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs has sold over 700,000 copies since its release, making it one of Sony's hottest first-party titles.

Despite the next generation of gaming hardware having arrived, Sony's 32-bit PS One sold nearly 1 million units in the U.S. during the holiday shopping season. Buoyed by its sleek redesign and a rock-bottom price of $49 as well as its library of 1,200 games, the PS One performed very well for SCEA.

gamerfeed.com

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/030109e.pdf

Heh. This puts the Xbox and Gamecube into perspective.

Their fans are always fighting for what's basically table scraps :p

I wonder how many were sold in Europe...

From the PDF:

Europe/PAL territories marked sales of over 3.4 million units, a 27% increase over the same period of the previous year. During the month of December, 2.4 million units were sold, marking a 50% increase over the same month in 2001.

3.4 is during November and December combined.

how many of those are repeat sales for bad PS2s?

I know of 3 that friends and family got that went bad after 1 week of use. drive wont pick up any media.

how many of those are repeat sales for bad PS2s?

I know of 3 that friends and family got that went bad after 1 week of use. drive wont pick up any media.
Well, I know approx ten people (real life people) that never had any problems :\

Anyways, if the significant portion of PS2s broke down and people had to re-purchase new ones (do they really HAVE TO do that btw?) you have to consider how unusually high the 'actual' game tie-in ratio would be then.

As much as I agree that there are some PS2 replacements in those numbers, it's basically irrelevant. Any PS2 replacements would hurt the attach rate. Since we're not seeing this, it's safe to assume that PS2 defects are <5%, probably more likely 1%.

7.7 is a great attach rate after only 3 years on the market. PS2 should easily hit 12 by 2005. Xbox is on an even faster pace, since its attach rate at the 13 month mark is higher than Sony's was at the thirteen month mark. Gamecube is lagging a little, but Nintendo sells so many 1st party titles that it hardly hurts them at all.

marconelly! said:
Anyways, if the significant portion of PS2s broke down and people had to re-purchase new ones (do they really HAVE TO do that btw?) you have to consider how unusually high the 'actual' game tie-in ratio would be then.

Exactly, if the tie-in ratio is already 7.7 to 1; and using a 20% faulty rate, the "true" tie-in rate is approaching nine and a half to one!

And I don't think he'd be advocating that...

EDIT: Sorry Johnney, you beat me to it :)

Ah. I hope all those people I argued with 2 years ago about "who will win the next-gen console wars" are really feeling it right now. I ate a lot of sh*t from them, but it seems they've finally gotten their just desserts. 8)

Kolgar

not really stating anything, but even one of Capcom's guru's blasted Sony for piss poor hardware failures which also happen to show sales.

Say I bought one now (already have one so not blasting Sony) and it went bad, I return it to the store, get another one no cost.

The charts will show that store as having sold 2 not 1.

anyway, maybe I remember a little too much of people keeping the original playstations upside down to play games.

How do we know the failure rate of the PS2 is any worse than the XBOX or Gamecube? How many HDD of the XBOX will fail over the next 5 years is anyone's guess.

jandar said:
not really stating anything, but even one of Capcom's guru's blasted Sony for piss poor hardware failures which also happen to show sales.

Say I bought one now (already have one so not blasting Sony) and it went bad, I return it to the store, get another one no cost.

The charts will show that store as having sold 2 not 1.

anyway, maybe I remember a little too much of people keeping the original playstations upside down to play games.

Read the posts above. Also, you´re talking about Shinji Mikami. He said that in an interview, he was half joking BTW. He was also quite pissed that KH outsold RE and he let it be known in that interview.

According to NPD FunWorld, 45 million PS2 titles were sold as of November 2002, bringing the software attach rate to 7.7 to 1, dwarfing those of Xbox and GameCube.

I'm quite confused by this number. How are they relating 45Million units to get the 7.7 tie in ratio?

If they do it versus installed global base the number should be over 300Million, not 45. If they do it for installed base just inside the US they should be over 100Million. If they are doing run rate tie in then the softwae number would be closer to 65Million global or 30.8Million for the US. The 'as of November' portion is the part that is confusing. That line, the way it is written, implies that they have only sold 45Million softs total.
OK, I just read through the actual Sony release, they don't mention anything about a 7.7 tie in ratio, they simply bring up the 52Million units of software they sold and the 8.5Million units of hardware.

Alright, found the 7.7 attach rate quote at GamerFeed. Seems it is from NPD, that would explain it being so far out of whack with what Sony says. Sony is claiming a run rate tie in of 6.1(52/8.5- which would likely need to be in the ~10-13 range to have a 7.7 lifetime).

The realistic lifetime tie in is almost certainly sub 6, unless Sony soft sales accelerated a lot slower then hardware sales during the holiday season(which would be a true freak of the market). The 7.7 simply appears to be NPD comparing their soft sales numbers v their hard sales numbers. That would seem to indicate that Sony software sells quite a bit better then their hardware at NPD stores(comparing what they claim v Sony's real numbers).

I believe NPD is claiming 7.7 as an atach rate for the whole year (or for the whole lifetime?) and Sony is claiming 6.1 just for the two holiday months.

I believe NPD is claiming 7.7 as an atach rate for the whole year (or for the whole lifetime?) and Sony is claiming 6.1 just for the two holiday months.

Say the PS2 had an installed base of 10 Million and an attach rate of 10. That would indicate that they had sold 100Million titles. If they sold another five million consoles for the holiday period and they had a run rate attach of six then their overall attach rate would fall to 8.7(8.6666).

During the holiday season people buy consoles frequently for those that don't have them, and games for those that do. Tie in rates for Q4 should be at peak levels, not seeing a dramatic decline which would need to take place for them to be having a 6.1 run while being at 7.7 lifetime. It would indicate that PS2 soft sales plummeted for the holiday season in relation to hardware which I don't think anyone would honestly believe. NPD screwed up on this one(it appears quite badly). They attempted to extrapolate global numbers, were far off on those(under by a decent amount), and then tried to extrapolate tie ins(over by a decent amonut).

Something smells fishy about these numbers, in particular the "42%" increase over 2001. For last year's PS2 sales IIRC, was something like 1 million in Nov. and 2 million in Dec. according to NPD. Assuming that NPD only gets something like 60-67% or so of the market last year, that means total 2001 holiday sales for PS2 are about:

3,000,000/.60 = 5,000,000 MAX

3,000,000/.67 ~ 4,477,611 MIN

If I'm right, then PS2 sales fell, not increased, for 2002 over 2001. Of course these could be NPD number too in which case PS2 sales are really up there.:oops:

Time for americans to know that there is a newer and more powerful system around. :D

Back