25 000 000 Firefox downloads

trinibwoy said:
Hmmm didn't think firefox had such a strong following. Reasons I stick with IE:

1. At work we target IE when developing our web applications so no point in using firefox.
2. At home I have zero issues with popups/spyware on IE due to the points outlined by ANova above.

and now imagine if beyond3d was "IE targetted" and lost some 40% of visitors....
persionally, i think that when you develop anything for the net, you need to test in at least 2 browsers....and more the better....

after all, if you are developing some kind of business aplication like webshop, you are losing part of the customers..... some Mac users, Linux bunch and now more and more Firefox users....for me that kind of developing is wrong. dont take this personal or anything, but if i dont want to use IE and come to "IE targetted" web site....what am i supposed to do?....

trinibwoy said:
1. At work we target IE when developing our web applications so no point in using firefox.
Why not simply target W3C standards then it would work on all browsers on all platforms?

Diplo said:
trinibwoy said:
Why not simply target W3C standards then it would work on all browsers on all platforms?

heh. same line of thinking here.
thumb.gif

silence said:
after all, if you are developing some kind of business aplication like webshop, you are losing part of the customers..... some Mac users, Linux bunch and now more and more Firefox users....for me that kind of developing is wrong. dont take this personal or anything, but if i dont want to use IE and come to "IE targetted" web site....what am i supposed to do?....

Actually, it's quite possible that their company is developing a web-software to some other company whose policy is to use IE only. I know my company was in a such spot some time ago. I tested the software with Firefox but that was just my personal bonus to the work :)

Miksu said:
Actually, it's quite possible that their company is developing a web-software to some other company whose policy is to use IE only. I know my company was in a such spot some time ago. I tested the software with Firefox but that was just my personal bonus to the work :)

heh, anyway, with numbers Firefox is gaining and with more and more mainstream media covering it, my guess is that some and i hope all will think twice about "IE only" policy.

when IE held 95% of market, that might have been wise, but if FF can sustain this growth, then they will have to rethink....about using W3C standards. ;)

silence said:
acctually....i put that sig after flared discussion where someone was praising Opera so much and had Opera link in the sig, so i put this one for fun.

That I can understand. I actually did the same thing not too long ago. Over at neowin there was this thread some 10 pages long filled with people praising Firefox and condemning IE. All of them had those "Get Firefox" sigs. Anyway, I decided to add a Get Internet Explorer sig done in the exact fashion of theirs to stir up some trouble. It was quite hilarious. :LOL:

silence said:
trinibwoy said:
Hmmm didn't think firefox had such a strong following. Reasons I stick with IE:

2. At home I have zero issues with popups/spyware on IE due to the points outlined by ANova above.

and now imagine if beyond3d was "IE targetted" and lost some 40% of visitors....
persionally, i think that when you develop anything for the net, you need to test in at least 2 browsers....and more the better....

Beyond3D is a public website. Our web-applications are built for in-house use by other IT teams and operations and business departments. We have a few client-facing websites (public access) but I'm not involved with those so I don't know what those teams do.

Every single machine in the company is configured with the standard XP/IE/Office setup. Guess I should have made that clear :) Why would they budget development time and $$$ to support browsers that we do not use?

Diplo said:
trinibwoy said:

Very simple. W3C standards evolve at a phenomenally faster rate than browsers. Also, there is no single browser that implements every detail of any W3C web standard. Some W3C approaches are a pain to code for also. Compare the W3C DOM to that of IE - IE's is better IMO.

trinibwoy said:
Beyond3D is a public website. Our web-applications are built for in-house use by other IT teams and operations and business departments. We have a few client-facing websites (public access) but I'm not involved with those so I don't know what those teams do.

Every single machine in the company is configured with the standard XP/IE/Office setup. Guess I should have made that clear :) Why would they budget development time and $$$ to support browsers that we do not use?

thats different. i have no problem with that. what i do arent such aplications, so i stumble upon "IE only" websites done by amateurs too often....sad thing is, they prolly didnt even know what they were doing....
they tried it in IE and worked and "voila"....new useless website for anyone who doesnt use IE to browse web.

intranets are completly different story and i can see advantages of IE there.... it is part of Win and there are many things you can do in ASP.NET and other technologies for such systems....

as i said....if they want it, go for it :D
it would be waste of money and time to make it work with anything else then what is needed inside....

if i got job like that i wouldnt worry either.....IE all the way baby then. ;)

trinibwoy said:
Very simple. W3C standards evolve at a phenomenally faster rate than browsers. Also, there is no single browser that implements every detail of any W3C web standard. Some W3C approaches are a pain to code for also. Compare the W3C DOM to that of IE - IE's is better IMO.

dunno for DOM, but i know its pain to try to switch from table to CSS only design.... every single browser renders it different, not to mention different version of IE.... :?

trinibwoy said:

Opt-in. Chicken and egg. "We can't switch, because all our stuff is XP/IE/Office only. So we only target that, and our management hopes Bill Gates won't come up with a very expensive licensing plan to keep it all working. And removing spyware is THE full-time job of the IT department. But we have no choice, really."

I use IE. Am waiting for IE 7. I have seen and used Firefox. After installing SP2 and disabling security center and the darn firewall...I have had 0...note 0 spyware on my machine in the past hmm..lets see...5 months since I bought and reinstalled the OS on my new machine. I think it is a matter of how good you are at using IE. Yes there are holes and the biggest one is ActiveX but the browser now prompts and asks you if you want to install a certai Active X control or not so thats nice. I think the design for IE is just right for me. Very simple. Now only if it had tabbed browsing and RSS and a host of other plugins that would be cool. Hope IE 7 has that...beta coming out this summer. Firefox is great no doubt but not revolutionary as people claim or pretend it to be. meh my 2 cents.

DiGuru said:
Opt-in. Chicken and egg. "We can't switch, because all our stuff is XP/IE/Office only. So we only target that, and our management hopes Bill Gates won't come up with a very expensive licensing plan to keep it all working. And removing spyware is THE full-time job of the IT department. But we have no choice, really."

Surprisingly naive. Technology is a tool leveraged by businesses to make them more effective. Using the coolest new browser or regarding Microsoft as the big bad wolf does not provide any competitive advantage.

I'd be interested in how you would go about Microsoft proofing a large, global company with thousands of systems.

Back