24-pin ATX power connector on mobo....

Tompa

Newcomer
Hey,

What's all this about ? can I use a "standard" 20-pin ATX power supply on a motherboard that has this "new" power connector ?? I'm.... :?

I'm not sure about all of them but I've installed an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with one on and the power supply had only a 20 pin connector. It worked fine.

If you buy a new PSU though, get a reputable one with 24 pins ;)

The 20 pin connector and 24 pin connector are identical on the "upper" size. The 24 pin connector has 4 extra pins for additional powers (12V, 5V, and 3.3V each). I think if your motherboard does not need those extra powers, 20 pin connector should work fine. However, as PVR_Extremist said, a good PSU with 24 pin connector is better.

pcchen said:
The 20 pin connector and 24 pin connector are identical on the "upper" size. The 24 pin connector has 4 extra pins for additional powers (12V, 5V, and 3.3V each). I think if your motherboard does not need those extra powers, 20 pin connector should work fine. However, as PVR_Extremist said, a good PSU with 24 pin connector is better.
It has little to do with "needing the extra power"...
Those pins are common if you check with a voltmeter (on the mobo, between the extra power pins and the ones in the 20 pin connector area).
However - better power distributilon, and a little known problem where too much power draw causes heat which leads to oxidation which leads to higher resistance (repeat) until pin failure occurs....These are the things a 24pin connector fix.

Back