2012 Olympics go to....

From a completely different point of view (mine, that is): London is DAMN expensive. Paris is too, but London is untouchable from this point of view. I think I'll set for watching 2012 O.G. on TV.

Crisidelm said:
From a completely different point of view (mine, that is): London is DAMN expensive. Paris is too, but London is untouchable from this point of view. I think I'll set for watching 2012 O.G. on TV.

London is impossibly expensive, let me tell you. Sometimes it's so pointlessly expensive i just have to laugh.

london-boy said:
Crisidelm said:

London is impossibly expensive, let me tell you. Sometimes it's so pointlessly expensive i just have to laugh.
That must mean you all are incredible wealthy, right? ;)

epic

epicstruggle said:
london-boy said:
Crisidelm said:

That must mean you all are incredible wealthy, right? ;)

epic

No it means that everything is impossibly expensive. Though our wages are higher than most other countries, the prices for goods are still too high.

Diplo said:
Well, I'm sure London-Boy won't be too cheerful once he sees his Council Tax bills for the next decade :)

you non-Londoners, just drop it eh? :p

I'm for one happy to pay £20 a year for 6 years to pay for this if it revitalises the east end and gives us top quality sporting facilities (Crystal Palace is a joke, the running track in the park in Bromley where I live is almost as good) and brings us the Olympic's.

The IOC TOLD us to make a London bid after we tried to keep you provincials happy with small town Birmingham/Manc U bids 8)

Plus it's een a horrible day in town.

I agree that the London centric attitude of the UK government is quite pathetic at times. Most notably the national Football stadium. In the last few years I've had to travel to London to see my team in the FA Cup Final. The very idea of having a national stadium paid for by the entire country sitting at the very bottom of the country is laughable. Why should it be in London? Because the transport system is clogged up? Because people going to watch Football matches all want to go to a art gallery afterwards?.. The national Football stadium should be in the center of the country so that fans of all teams have to travel the most equal distance possible. When Wembley was knocked down I, and most of the rest of the country, celebrated. Then I heard, against all logic, that it was just going to be replaced by another bloody stadium in London. Making the next 100+ FA and League cup games effectively home games for any London based team as usual and the next however many England home games basically for Londoners only.. I have no allegiance to Birmingham or Manchester over London. So nobody can say I am bitter and just hate London when I say this. But either Birmingham or Manchester should have gotten the national Football stadium and its an absolutely disgrace of the highest magnitude that London got it.

Sorry if that's slightly off topic.

That I agree with as Football and the FA Cup, internation fixtures are a national thing. But something of the order of magnitude of the Olympics needs to be in London to get International favour. The Olympics in Atlanta was an example of a smaller city not quite coping (congested transport etc etc.).

In one of the documentaries about the winning London bid, the bid team asked the IOC how they could improve their bid in light of the previous failures of Birmingham and Manchester. They were told in no uncertain terms not to come back unless the bid was for London. The IOC was just not interested in any other location in the UK.

Back