2012 Olympics go to....

The busses in manchester are awesome to be fair, the trams are... a sideshow, but they exist. Take for example the commonwealth swimming pool buildings on oxford rd, which isnt too far from picadilly. It's still not a short walk, the bus routes are confusing, and the buildings are FUGLY. Its not cohesive. Picadilly has Virgin trains everywhere, but they're pants and take crappy lines. Something like the east coast mainline (Leeds>London) is much more beneficial.

sytaylor said:
Diplo said:
Of all the possible places in the UK to host the olympics then London is the worst possible location and has terrible transport infrastructure. Manchester or Birmingham would have been far better choices and easier to get to for majority of the UK population.

CHAVCHESTER?!!

EWW... No way, manchester is plain disgusting. I hate that place, my history with it is one of a duel, a bit like homer simpson vs new york...

Ok so my ex lives there.

Imagine the mascotte of a possible Manchester Olympics. Little girl with greasy hair, trackie bottoms and ManU top. Cigarette in her hand. Optional 5 children, all had before she was 18.

Diplo said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I guess today's result shows that Manchester and Birmingham were not good enough to beat the other world cities, and that London was.
Nah, it's more to do with the fact that the Government and media never backs anything outside London. It's just a selfish attitude, pure and simple. Whether it's a national football stadium or Millennium dome, it always has to be London, regardless of how difficult it is to travel to for the majority of UK residents; how expensive it is to build (land in London is vastly overpriced). Live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland? Tough. Live in North? Tough.

The fact is Manchester Commonwealth Games were a huge success and there is already in place a lot of infrastructure. Manchester also is bang in middle of UK, has good transport system (with pollution-free tram system, good rail links, major airport etc.) But politicians think the world revolves around London. Same with Millennium Stadium in Cardiff - it proved a great national stadium but, no, they had to rebuild Wembley 'cos it's in London, regardless of price or sanity. Of course, when it comes to paying the billions it will cost you can bet it's the general populous who will have to cough up, regardless of the fact that all the long-term benefits will go to London (already over-inflated, over-populated and comparatively over-prosperous)

Someone sounds bitter that he will have to go to London for the olympics... ;)

Really, can you blame the system? Target something for a ~8million population all in one city, or target the country?

It's the way it is because for some reason, the UK culture made it like that. Having one immense city, and a few other smaller ones. Other countres like Italy, France, Spain can focus on a plethora of different cities without estrangine the rest of the population, because the population itself is distributed more... normally...

london-boy said:
Imagine the mascotte of a possible Manchester Olympics. Little girl with greasy hair, trackie bottoms and ManU top. Cigarette in her hand. Optional 5 children, all had before she was 18.

What's the London mascot going to be? Some cabbie who hates "them darkies"?

sytaylor said:
The busses in manchester are awesome to be fair, the trams are... a sideshow, but they exist. Take for example the commonwealth swimming pool buildings on oxford rd, which isnt too far from picadilly. It's still not a short walk, the bus routes are confusing, and the buildings are FUGLY. Its not cohesive. Picadilly has Virgin trains everywhere, but they're pants and take crappy lines. Something like the east coast mainline (Leeds>London) is much more beneficial.

eh? whats wrong with the trams?
of course the joke about the trams was that in the first plans they should have been extended out to the city-of-manchester stadium for the olympics in 2000.. but the didnt even get there for the games in 2002 :(.

during the games the buses ran different routes iirc. they added a number of extra circulars round the event sites , not exactly rocket science ;)..

as for the buildings,, i assume you mean the 60's ones which are being removed ( partly thanks to the ira) rather than the victorian ones ;)

nutball said:
london-boy said:

What's the London mascot going to be? Some cabbie who hates "them darkies"?

Saskia.

london-boy said:
sytaylor said:
Diplo said:
Of all the possible places in the UK to host the olympics then London is the worst possible location and has terrible transport infrastructure. Manchester or Birmingham would have been far better choices and easier to get to for majority of the UK population.

CHAVCHESTER?!!

EWW... No way, manchester is plain disgusting. I hate that place, my history with it is one of a duel, a bit like homer simpson vs new york...

Ok so my ex lives there.

No it would be a man city top, you forgot the bloodflow restricting tight baseball cap, huge hoop earings, pram and cheap foundation.

london-boy said:
You're out of your mind!!

I mean, i live in London, and as much as i hate the transport, it's one effective motherf... I'm so used to it that all other cities just make me go "why is everything so far from everything else!" because their transport just isn't good enough, though train or busses might be "on time".

We all hate London, but we all love it too. It's ridiculous to think we could have the Olympics in the UK but not in London.

All other cities eh? You haven't been to NY. Best Metro/Subway/Railway system in the world, hands down. ;)

Natoma said:
london-boy said:

I mean, i live in London, and as much as i hate the transport, it's one effective motherf... I'm so used to it that all other cities just make me go "why is everything so far from everything else!" because their transport just isn't good enough, though train or busses might be "on time".

We all hate London, but we all love it too. It's ridiculous to think we could have the Olympics in the UK but not in London.

All other cities eh? You haven't been to NY. Best Metro/Subway/Railway system in the world, hands down. ;)

If you don't die in the meantime of course.

london-boy said:
Natoma said:
london-boy said:

:oops: :arrow: :rolleyes: :arrow: :? :arrow: :rolleyes: :arrow: 8) :arrow: :LOL: :LOL:

epic
ps used up my emotion quote for the week. :(

All other cities eh? You haven't been to NY. Best Metro/Subway/Railway system in the world, hands down.
but smells like piss in the summer much like france and they both lost

Diplo said:
Of course, when it comes to paying the billions it will cost you can bet it's the general populous who will have to cough up, regardless of the fact that all the long-term benefits will go to London (already over-inflated, over-populated and comparatively over-prosperous)

Londoners get the least benefit from the money they pay. Most of that goes to subsidise other places in the UK. We've been complaining about it for years.

jvd said:
All other cities eh? You haven't been to NY. Best Metro/Subway/Railway system in the world, hands down.
but smells like piss in the summer much like france and they both lost

I keep telling you jvd. That's not the subway. That's your upper lip. ;)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Diplo said:
Of course, when it comes to paying the billions it will cost you can bet it's the general populous who will have to cough up, regardless of the fact that all the long-term benefits will go to London (already over-inflated, over-populated and comparatively over-prosperous)

Londoners get the least benefit from the money they pay. Most of that goes to subsidise other places in the UK. We've been complaining about it for years.

Thank you.

london-boy said:
Natoma said:
london-boy said:

Again, you haven't been to NY. ;)

Natoma said:
london-boy said:
Natoma said:
london-boy said:

Again, you haven't been to NY. ;)

I wouldn't come back alive!!! ;) Besides now i have Amsterdam to worry about

do you people not watch the news,

Manchester is the most cheerful city in the UK :D - people in Manchester are the most likely to say hello when you walk by and think about the good things of the day rather than the bad.

Well, I'm sure London-Boy won't be too cheerful once he sees his Council Tax bills for the next decade :)

Apparently paris lost by 4 votes a day after chirac said that the UK had the worst food in the world after finland. And there were 2 finnish judges. :p

epic

epicstruggle said:
Apparently paris lost by 4 votes a day after chirac said that the UK had the worst food in the world after finland. And there were 2 finnish judges. :p

epic

After the dinner i prepare last night, i'd argue that point. Though i'm Italian... Still in the UK!!! :LOL:

Apparently the olympics will cost each and every one of us a bit less than £300 over the next 7 years. If we think that interest rates and tax would go up anyway and be used for nothing that will improve our lives, i'd take the Olympics any day.

Back