2006: Battle for the Living Room

The design looks quirky and un-PC like but how is that going to fit in the entertainment center?

It clashes not only in shape but in color with other AV components.

The thing is a server? How much storage are we talking about and price?

Price

wco81 said:
The design looks quirky and un-PC like but how is that going to fit in the entertainment center?

The thing is a server? How much storage are we talking about and price?

It is bad value if it is more than $300.

wco81 said:

According to the release it can sit sdieways and i'm sure it will come in other styles besides white.

PC under $300

xbdestroya said:
Wow, well I don't know about that. ;)

I mean how much are you used to getting in a PC for $300?

For living room I think Xbox360 with hard-drive is best value for $399. I dont think people will sit in living room to type reports, probably only multimedia so I feel this is current standard. Maybe Revolution will be less than $300 with hard-drive so that maybe also good standard. Then PS3 will come with Blu-Ray probably <$500 with hard-drive, so I feel for sytem like that >$300 is not good value. I feel Media Center type PC is bad value for living room multimedia unit when console has same or more multimedia function with easy for everyone OS for maybe $250-500.

Yeah but the 360 needs a Media Center computer likethis one to be fully effective as a media device. You don't *have* to have this thing in your living room - you could shove it into the bedroom and let the 360 do the talking on the TV.

I mean it's looks aside, we have to know how much it costs before we judge it's value, even if just as a high-end computer.

Shifty Geezer said:
My breif experience with CONNECT, which I used as the only service I could find that would sell single tracks of the rare album I wanted (iTunes has an inferior range, at least for my tastes) lasted 24 hours, and I won't go near it again until it's had a severe overhaul.

Connect has been the only Sony product I've been completely disatisfied with -- it needs a major overhaul. It's comforting and disturbing that I'm not the only one who's had horrible experience with Connect (in the same way -- trying to find a track that nobody else had). Are Sony/BMG responsible for Connect? Because that would explain a lot (seemingly the worst thing Sony has its name on, by miles). It's a shame that they can't get a music service out that is worth a damn (hell, a service that actually works would be nice), especially considering how much music Sony controls.

The EU division responsible for CONNECT in Europe is the local (to me) Weybridge Sony HQ...
15.2 Sony United Kingdom Ltd, of which CONNECT forms part, is a company incorporated in England and Wales (company number: 2422874). The physical address below is the registered office of Sony United Kingdom Ltd and the address to which any formal notice from you to CONNECT under or in connection with these Terms must be sent. Sony United Kingdom Ltd, The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0XW, United Kingdom.
This is the address I referred to when I contacted Trading Standards about CONNECT selling broken tracks to people without telling them they're broken, so it'd better be right!

xbdestroya said:
Yeah but the 360 needs a Media Center computer like this one to be fully effective as a media device. You don't *have* to have this thing in your living room - you could shove it into the bedroom and let the 360 do the talking on the TV.

I mean it's looks aside, we have to know how much it costs before we judge it's value, even if just as a high-end computer.

Yes, I'll reserve my comments about the look too but I have a question. Since I don't have an XB360, how good/bad is the media quality when XB360 talks to the Media PC wirelessly ?

This year should be interesting as "smart" living room devices enter the market. It brings more awareness to the masses. However to "ignite" the market, we will need someone who can go beyond awareness: Generate a "Must have" urge to plug a media unit to their living rooms.

My options are:

* Unknown (simple) Apple box -- Haven't been to the cinemas for months due to my infant. If Apple can solve the VoD problem economically, I might get it and cancel HBO. HBO's VoD is too limited, Netflix has good deals but it's still a hassle for me.

* PS 3 -- Using HD and next-gen gaming as draw. No brainer really if it does what it says and is "affordable" enough.

* Smarter HD TV -- I will be buying a new TV. Will cell-based ones offer anything new/better ? If so, it might be a viable stop-gap solution before the real winners emerge.

* Xbox 360 + Media PC -- Next-gen gaming (but a little underwhelmed now... DAMN ). I have postponed my purchase decision until I can compare the offerings when the above 2 are launched. I also dislike the idea of having to buy a Media PC for my living room functions. Why not just any PC for storage ? I have 2 others lying around somewhere, plus a desktop-replacement laptop.

* Media PC -- Not with that look. My wife will kill me. But the machine is powerful indeed !

* Controller -- If everything else tanked, I might just get one to mourn 2006. Logitech sold a load of these last year. I have heard very good things about it. There will be improved ones coming out this year.

patsu said:
PS 3 -- Using HD and next-gen gaming as draw. No brainer really if it does what it says and is "affordable" enough.
Still not sure what others expect the PS3 to be doing in this regards. If all it does is play Blu-ray movies and things downloaded off the internet, then it's still not quite matching the media center feature set--namely the DVR functionality.
Why not just any PC for storage ? I have 2 others lying around somewhere, plus a desktop-replacement laptop.
I think many people go this route. You can certainly use it right now for the simpler media, such as music and photos. Media Center is needed for video playback and I know people have found the Media Center edition of XP online and installed it, along with a tuner card. They then use an extender to get it into the living room

The reason why MS does not support this is that the hardware tends to be very finicky.

.Sis

Well things are getting interesting! For the media center PC camp, here's an odd value proposition: TV's with built-in media extender features.

And the name behind these sets? HP.

HP_lcd_WMC.jpg

...No less than eight new HDTV sets fill up the HP lineup for CES 2006. Three 720p LCD sets that range from 32- to 37-inches also offer integrated Windows Media Connect. Unlike similar new sets like the ones from ED Digital, the SLC3760N includes 802.11a/b/g for streaming media, and has a response time of 6 or less milliseconds for dropping that oh-so-annoying ghosting...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/hp-hdtv-lineup-announced-one-with-wifi/

Sis said:
Still not sure what others expect the PS3 to be doing in this regards. If all it does is play Blu-ray movies and things downloaded off the internet, then it's still not quite matching the media center feature set--namely the DVR functionality.

No, I'm just assuming a hi-end DVD and also BD player now that they are coming out (I assume I can get BD content from Blockbuster after that).

DVR is a bonus for me since you'll probably need to buy a hard disk to take full advantage of it even if the functionality is present in PS3 (or a Media PC like XB360). I'll save my money for the HD TV (so my better half won't complain about so many purchases). The thing is I have been living without DVR all these years, so I can wait... but the king of the living room: my TV is aging and if I buy a new one I will have to get a HD.

[I spoke about using existing PCs for media functions...]

Sis said:
I think many people go this route. You can certainly use it right now for the simpler media, such as music and photos. Media Center is needed for video playback and I know people have found the Media Center edition of XP online and installed it, along with a tuner card. They then use an extender to get it into the living room

The reason why MS does not support this is that the hardware tends to be very finicky.

Right... this is a void. In fact, if there is an easy way to get any video on a box now, I might even postpone the PS 3 (and Xbox 360) purchase since launch games are usually meh. That's why it's so important to get the needs right. A lot of coming attractions are fighting for my wallet share and it's so easy to find excuses/reasons not to buy. These are just my personal priorities but I'm sure most consumer will go through their own decision process before commiting. Congrats to those who have decided.

I'm not familiar with Google's living room strategy, perhaps they can:
* Push an advertiser-subsidized box cheaply (like newspaper model)
* Offer searches on TV, blazingly fast, instant on, voice activated
* Provide extremely relevant, regional searches (like plumbers, contractors, cater, restaurants in my area with user comments)
* Small physically, and does not interfere with my TV viewing

Then we're talking :D

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Well things are getting interesting! For the media center PC camp, here's an odd value proposition: TV's with built-in media extender features.

And the name behind these sets? HP.

HP_lcd_WMC.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/04/hp-hdtv-lineup-announced-one-with-wifi/

Ah yes ! Finally no more Media PC form factor and the bad idea of "paying for another box". How much and who's servicing these things ? I was just mumbling to myself why no one does something like this when answering .sis's post.

EDIT: Oh wait... it is still an Extender only... and when I buy a XBox 360 eventually, I'll have the same functionality. I'll pass then :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Regards Google's plans, what about this...
It was a beautiful few hours there, but David Krane, Google's Director of Corporate Communications, is putting the smackdown on that rumor from the LA Times that they're working on a Google PC. He says that they're happy working with their current PC partners and that they "see no need to enter this market."
[Thanks to everyone who sent this one in]
http://engadget.com/2006/01/04/google-pr-head-says-no-google-pc/

Back