20.02 million Sony PSP units sold!

Sounds cool, IF true. I am sort of sceptical at this point however, sites make up rumors all the time these days.

A lot of that could just be 'best guesses' following what you'd expect, such as slimmer, cheaper model. The only standout feature is 8GB embedded Flash. For 8GB Flash to become cost effective in only a year seems unlikely unless there's some new tech coming out. Plus why use embedded memory if you already have a flash port? Why not do a deal to supply a 4 GB MemStick instead?

What do you guys think will be the duration of a product cycle in Handhelds now that PSP is there? 5 years like Home Consoles?

i'd be glad to see a redesign of the psp addressing the ultra-flimsy umd drive. i could not believe sony made the original. re the 8GB of flash - that could be an upgrade to flash0/flash1 - and if the volume is indeed as much as 8GB, possibly with some user storage space too.

What do you guys think will be the duration of a product cycle in Handhelds now that PSP is there? 5 years like Home Consoles?

Impossible to tell. I do however expect that the lifecycle of Sony's handhelds will be somehow linked to that of the Playstation consoles. Say that the PSP coincides with the last five years of the PS2s lifespan, then the next PSP may do the same. However, the next PSP might come a bit earlier, especially while handheld technology is still moving so incredibly fast, and they will be keen to learn from their first effort.

A lot of course depends on publishers and investment. If software sales become a real dissapointment in the future, that might incite an earlier release for a next PSP, though a redesigned PSP may also cover the meantime.

Very hard to predict, in other words.

I don't find the UMD drive to be particularly flimsy, by the way. The MiniDisc, on the other hand, yikes.

darkblu said:
re the 8GB of flash - that could be an upgrade to flash0/flash1 - and if the volume is indeed as much as 8GB, possibly with some user storage space too.
The thing is, fixed storage doesn't make much sense unless it comes a lot cheaper then removable, and it should still NOT by some chance replace the MS slot. I'd be fine if a new revision came out as a SKU with included removable large storage ~4-8GB (like PS3 or 360 premium).

At any rate what I'd like redesign adressing first is the screen (refresh and protection), I'm fine with the rest of the device as is - well ok, I'd like different color choice too...

I'd like different color choice too...

pink20psp20image0003qk6.jpg

Regarding the lifespan of the PSP1 platform: people tend to replace their portables with newer models more frequently than their home gear, so Sony will probably have a new platform ready to go within four years or less of the first.

Back