1080p DLP

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
Looks like DLP's are first with the 1080p consumer TV products...

Costco looks like it has quite a variety already.

The Samsung 56" DLP looks quite affordable at $2'899 - I just hope it is not £2'899 when it gets to the UK.

EDIT: Thanks to AVForums for the headsup.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a number of LCD pannels that already have the native display at 1920x1080. Getting them to accept a true 1080p single has been the challange :)

Tahir2 said:
Thanks for the correction.. I meant to say consumer level and cheap 1080p ;)

Well techincally there are some at the consumer level. JVC has a nice one (40 or 42) that is about $3,000 or less. The sharp 45" seems to be closer to the $3,500 range still. Then there is a Westinghouse 37" thats 1080p native res that is "cheap" by all accounts (meaning its not very expensive but does not have that great of a picture..you get what you pay for). Still did not mean to split hairs. Yes I realize that prices here in the states != the rest of the world and did not mean to steal your thunder, so I will just STFU now :)

Note that the chips on all current 1080p DLPs are actually 960x1080, which is hardly any more mirors than full 720p DLPs. Granted the wobbulation does make for an effectively higher resolution than the number of mirros on DLPs chips like the 1080p one, but I haven't checked any out in person yet so I can't comment on the visable difference.

Heh, it just means that each mirror on the chip is wobbled back and forth to display two pixels, opposed to a non-wobulated DLPs that have a mirror for every pixel. 720p DLPs come in both flavors, and the majorty of people including myself find the non-wobulated ones notably sharper. But again, I have no clue on how that compares with the new 1080p DLPs as I have yet to see one in action.

Tahir2 said:
Right kyleb and you are going to explain what wobulation is ain't ya? :) Please!
really simplistic answer: the mirror that bounces the light to the screen wobels 1/2 pixel(?) so that we double the resolution. A 960x1080 chip will end up giving you a resolution of 1920x1080.

epic

Ti released info on their new chip that will no longer need to wobulate to get full 1080p onto the screen. That coupled with LED tech will mean that dlp's is going to be a plasma killer. ;)

epic

epicstruggle said:
really simplistic answer: the mirror that bounces the light to the screen wobels 1/2 pixel(?) so that we double the resolution. A 960x1080 chip will end up giving you a resolution of 1920x1080.

epic

In a perverse sense, it's almost like "interlacing" in the horizontal direction. ;)

epicstruggle said:
Ti released info on their new chip that will no longer need to wobulate to get full 1080p onto the screen. That coupled with LED tech will mean that dlp's is going to be a plasma killer. ;)

epic
Unless something can be done about the low optimal viewing angles, I don't see any rear projection technology killing plasmas.

kyleb said:
Heh, it just means that each mirror on the chip is wobbled back and forth to display two pixels, opposed to a non-wobulated DLPs that have a mirror for every pixel.
Not sure if you just said it wrong, but that's not exactly how it happens. The whole mirror array moves, likely with a piezo, so that the array moves by one half pixel. The mirrors are diagonally oriented, so if you call each screen position (i,j), then during one cycle (1/120th of a second) only pixels with even i+j are displayed, then during the next cycle pixels with odd i+j are displayed. At any one time, though, all pixels of the chip are being used, and there is overlap between the two cycles.

The best description I've seen is from a guy on AVS forum. He did some simulations in Matlab or something. They're very well done, showing how wobulation can even make a picture look a bit better sometimes. Another guy also has a good explanation.

kyleb said:
Unless something can be done about the low optimal viewing angles, I don't see any rear projection technology killing plasmas.
I think we just need a manufacturer that is willing to sacrifice brightness for viewing angle. Microdisplay RP has much better viewing angles than CRT RP because there's a lot more light to play with, so they can use a more diffuse screen. Someone just needs to make a screen with an even more diffuse screen, and not make it diffuse so poorly in the vertical direction.

The problem is that brightness sells, so viewing angle is a lower priority for these manufacturers.

epicstruggle said:
Don't know about it killing plasmas, because the thinnest DLP has only been made around 7 inches thin for a 50". People like thin.

However, I think the new laser LED DLP chips will take over all projection technology. DLP only needs a single chip, and the LEDs mean there are no rainbows (colour cycle speed is 48x refresh rate). Nothing else is fast enough for single chip other than a bulky electron gun. Furthermore, it's always reflecting light so it doesn't get hot. I hear the SXRD TVs are having serious problems with colour uniformity, and I'm sure absorbing all the light from a 120W bulb during dark scenes can't be good. Digital theatre projectors will have much higher light requirements too.

As for wobulation, I don't think it's that bad, especially if the price is much lower. But the full resolution TI chip looks nice.

BTW, Tahir2, the 1080p Samsungs have been around since last July. Also, the Sony SXRD is generally seen as the cream of the crop (though a bit costlier).

BTW, Tahir2, the 1080p Samsungs have been around since last July. Also, the Sony SXRD is generally seen as the cream of the crop (though a bit costlier).

In the UK we wont receive them until probably Summer 2006. We are a bit behind the times when it comes to A/V equipment.

Tahir2 said:
In the UK we wont receive them until probably Summer 2006. We are a bit behind the times when it comes to A/V equipment.

It should be noted though that most of these 1080p sets can't actually take a 1080p input through HDMI, just upconvert either 720p or 1080i signals.

ERP said:
It should be noted though that most of these 1080p sets can't actually take a 1080p input through HDMI, just upconvert either 720p or 1080i signals.

That is the luck of the early adopter. One of the advantages of getting AV equipment late is that other people can beta test before we run into the same problems.

Back