[360] Splinter Cell: Conviction

I actually like that build.
I remember them mentioning that they developed some new features [back then it was new] which allowed fluidity in the physical interaction that Sam does with the environment. ie. if you pick up an object then Sam will be picking up that object instead of just swinging his hands near that object resulting in him grabbing the object automatically.

I think that gameplay would have turned off equal number of fans though. It was different from standard stealth too. Imagine AC in Splinter Cell universe, pretty strange I would say!

Surely it will but still where is my stun/knock out button ? lol
They completely removed it from the game , its all about kill kill kill.

Yeah, afaics you can't even grab the guards or move the bodies once they're dead. This game really seems like a step back from previous entries. No night or thermal vision also sucks.

No night or thermal vision also sucks.
Instead you have a wall hack mode [sonar] :LOL:

Also do sonar goggles actually exist ? lol How can one "see" sound..??
This is the very first time that a Tom Clancy game is using fictional equipments that don't exist for real.
Moreover a sonar goggle displays moving objects in real time, that too with a single pulse going through multiple many walls :) ...How did Clancy even allowed this ? [He's never directly involved in any game but he makes sure that every game that has his name, features equipments that exist in real life be it prototype or anything else].

Also I find it odd that the goggles still have three optical lens, eventhough there's just no use for the third one...its just a tack on concession to keep hardcore fans appeased without any real thought put into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow the demo seems to be REALLY unflattering. C'mon Ubi, the rest of the game is much better looking (and probably plays better) than this :(

Instead you have a wall hack mode [sonar] :LOL:

Also do sonar goggles actually exist ? lol How can one "see" sound..??
This is the very first time that a Tom Clancy game is using fictional equipments that don't exist for real.
without any real thought put into it.
I have no idea how well sonar can penetrate walls in real life but as a gameplay mechanic, I like it better than the old night-vision/thermal goggles. You can see the enemies at anytime but only when you're standing still, so it's a fair compromise.

Moreover a sonar goggle displays moving objects in real time, that too with a single pulse going through multiple many walls :) ...How did Clancy even allowed this ? [He's never directly involved in any game but he makes sure that every game that has his name, features equipments that exist in real life be it prototype or anything else].
Also I find it odd that the goggles still have three optical lens, eventhough there's just no use for the third one...its just a tack on concession to keep hardcore fans appeased
Oh he's probably not involved with anything in this game. He was really pissed off in the first game just because they showed Third Echelon operating out of a V-22 Osprey aircraft. He probably cares more about realism than anything.

Surely it will but still where is my stun/knock out button ? lol
They completely removed it from the game , its all about kill kill kill.
Yeah but you also have to get closer to the enemies now to take them out and the AI seems to be much more aggressive. This time you have to use stealth just figure out the best time/angle to engage the enemies from and that honestly feels a lot less linear and boring than the type of trial&error stealth in the last games. You can't really rely on gadgets and shooting out lights nearly as much now.

The one real complaint I have about the demo is that your handgun ammo is unlimited. But I guess that's because of the lethal CQB kills.

Had a chance to play the demo & have to say I was more impressed than I thought I would given the comments here. I bought all the previous SC games, finished them all except the last one. It was such a turn off being a double agent & playing in the light. This one might end up being the same, but the demo has me optimistic. The hand holding was kind of a turn off, but not too bad. Understandable in a demo or tutorial. From the game settings it looks like you will be able to turn off the waypoint indicator & tutorial notifications. That's a plus. The Mark & Execute was kinda of neat too. You don't have to use it though, if you're a good enough spy you should be able to deal with them without resorting to it. Just wished the demo gave you a little more gameplay meat. Looking forward to the game, but I don't think I'll buy it day one. Probably won't buy it new either. I'll wait for more non-spoiler observations first.

Tommy McClain

813762250_7Sg8T-L.jpg

:LOL:

I'm willing to try the demo (silver account here) as previous Sc didn't tilt with me.
The fact that it's a bit of a departure from previous games could be a good thing for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the reaction be if ubisoft worded the demo differently.
Something like Gameplay mechanic demo. It seems a lot of people get the wrong impression of this game because of the demo. Because its a small 5~10 min sample that has to explain all the mechanics people think that the game holds your hands every time.

What for impact does split screen has on graphics?
If i think about it. It shouldn't affect singleplayer graphics.

yeah I think a lot of people assume that they full game is just a 20 hour demo or something. With every video showing all the multiple paths and ways to outsmart the AI, plus the co-op mode, it's logical that they watered down the gameplay for the demo.

does this game actually have split-screen though?

yeah I think a lot of people assume that they full game is just a 20 hour demo or something. With every video showing all the multiple paths and ways to outsmart the AI, plus the co-op mode, it's logical that they watered down the gameplay for the demo.

Like I said, there may be ways & multiple paths...infact I never complained about that part anyways. What I complained about was the lack of actions such as picking up & hiding bodies, no knock out option its always kill etc etc & the jerky animations. [I always liked to finish the game without killing anyone]

yes the game has splitscreen ubisoft already released a screenshot.
http://www.thekoalition.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/spliter-cell-conviction-split-screen.jpg

Personally, I enjoyed the demo. I'm not a fan of full stealth and the prior version haven't appealed to me due to that. However, I enjoyed the gameplay presented to me and the addition of co-op is always a nice plus. I'd say the gameplay is a mixture of Rainbox Six with traditional stealth.

I'm holding onto my pre order unless reviews are poor.

Well the demo seems to have sparked sales as the game has shot up the Amazon sales charts recently (though a few bucks off didn't hurt).

The graphics look excellent, sub HD or not. I will give it a shot soon.

Like I said, there may be ways & multiple paths...infact I never complained about that part anyways. What I complained about was the lack of actions such as picking up & hiding bodies, no knock out option its always kill etc etc & the jerky animations. [I always liked to finish the game without killing anyone]

Seriously? no choke outs?? :devilish:

yeah, but I think when you restrict what a player can do by that much in a stealth game, as in no kills and no getting detected, it can be pretty satisfying when you do everything right but there's not that many ways to actually do it right. My problem with the last SC games is that they seemed to reward level memorization more than experimentation.

It's a tired argument but the last SC games really did feel like there was too much trial&error. I'd at least like to see how this change in the series turns out before I decide on it though.

My problem with the last SC games is that they seemed to reward level memorization more than experimentation.
I know you made that post quite a days ago but I had a chance to play the game today & I wanted to let you know that the level memorization in SCC is multiplied by x10 compared to old games since there are areas in the game where you just have to do what the game wants you do do. Its not a bad game by any means but I'll tell you that its the worst in the series if you asked me.(its still the most hyped, & hence ++ scores)

Apart from the things I once mentioned before here, the things that turn me off in this game are stuff like the Black & white filter...it'll be in action everytime even when you don't have any enemies to engage in the current area. And your inability to lure the enemies with things like whistling & picking up small objects & throwing. But none gets close to the level of disappointment the animations bring in with this game, if you have played previous games then you'll know that Sam performs every action on his own be it opening a window,switching off a light etc etc...here if you press A for opening a window the window will get opened by itself, if you decided to switch off a light then the light will get switched off by itself...there are no animations for small things like these.Even the movement while Sam's hanging is just very fast & doesn't feels natural .

I'll mention one specific case about unpolished animations, I was monkeying across a pipe that went along the beam of the room & it happened to be a T shaped pipe and the worst thing that happened there is that instead of Sam being blocked by the neck of "T" while navigating the pipe, he just clipped through it & went through the object. :p

These kind of things are very disappointing considering older games did it much better while running on a much inferior hardware.

:´- (

Played the demo...way to *bleep* up a franchise Ubi !

What can I say ? Everything about this game is bad. You don't have ANY other option beside killing your enemy wtf ? even avoiding them won't work since they are essentially in a corridor & you have to go through that corridor to get to the other area...where's my multiple route approach Ubi ? You can't market you game as a stealth game if you don't give your players the option to stun/blackout your enemy or totally avoid them. Another stupid thing is the human shield wtf why do I have to HOLD B to have the shield protect me ? How do you expect me to even aim with right stick if my right thumb is busy pressing B ?

The AI is just BAD...they'll just do one single action for 6-7 seconds until then move on to another action & then do the earlier action once again. The animation too didn't felt as fluid as Chaos Theory or Double Agent...it feels so unnatural & stiff. And there are some actions like portable EMP where Sam doesn't even executes any animation at all, you just press the button & the EMP launches...this is 2010 FFS I want animation for everything my character does.Whats more..even the graphics are passable, Double Agent & Chaos Theory looked so much better.

Sorry Ubi but you just lost a customer, cause the game is anything but Splinter Cell.

I haven't played this game, but I enjoyed the first three games on PC, and I'm soooooo disappointed because of all the comments that I've read about it. Hence, I completely agree with you (except for all the swearwords :p).

It's like... a tale that I'm going to tell.

A kindhearted granny discovered a new recipe for an apple pie. She said "Oh, dear, I will cook this delicious pie for my grandchildren". Her grandchildren enjoyed her pies so much that they could eat them again and again.

One day, some new neighbours arrived to the neighbourhood... (since caps are not allowed, I will bold the following) and the shitty granny stoped caring about her grandchildren and started modifiying her apple pie recipe to the point that it didn't even contain apple, although she still said that it was apple pie!!!!!

Lame comparison? I don't care, this is how I feel. :mad:

Depressing... :cry:

Back