Playstation 3 and linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
Ok so suppose I wanted to try linux on my PS3 just for fun. Where do I start? Will it cost me anything? (more than an empty cd/dvd)

Will it let me keep all the data I already have on my ps3 or will it require some kind of formatting? Are there many distributions? Does any of them have Beryl on it?

What are among some of the key applications I could use on Linux with PS3? Any games?

Ok so suppose I wanted to try linux on my PS3 just for fun. Where do I start? Will it cost me anything? (more than an empty cd/dvd)

No it will not cost you anything unless you want to pay for it from a vendor. So far I know of Yellow Dog and Ubuntu being run on Ps3 but there are more but I can't remember then distributions.

Will it let me keep all the data I already have on my ps3 or will it require some kind of formatting? Are there many distributions? Does any of them have Beryl on it?

No it won't keep your data, when you format it from the XMB you will have to clear the entire drive.

What are among some of the key applications I could use on Linux with PS3? Any games?

Just the usual apps that you would use, internet, email, basic image viewing and manipulation etc. As for games yes there are some but they are just what are available for Linux so there is a wide amount there. With no 3D acceleration though your options are limited.

Ok. So suppose I have linux on my PS3 and I turn the power on and have my Resistance: Fall of man disc in the drive. What happens? (is there any way to still play ps3 games if I installed linux on the PS3?)

Oh and suppose I tried the linux and wanted to get rid of it and go back to the standard PS3 software, is that possible?

Suppose you use the search function and find this here ;-)

Use that thread for your questions, some answer in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back