Inq. Reader blasts Beyond3D. World Explodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. If a reporter ultimately joins with Nvidia, it is not out of the question that the person was reporting with a bias towards Nvidia. Same could be true with Dave Baumann too. This is no different than when Tony Snow jumped from foxnews to the Bush administation, and we cannot easily dismiss the idea that the person was biased in his reporting up to that point.
Everyone is biased by their prior experiences, but the article isn't claiming Dave was biased. It's claiming he was a "covert PR shill". Determining that a reporter had acted as a covert PR mouthpiece just because the reporter eventually became employed by said company is one of the weakest pieces of circumstantial evidence I've ever seen. So the "cognitive leap" is like jumping the grand canyon in my opinion.

Everyone is biased by their prior experiences, but the article isn't claiming Dave was biased. It's claiming he was a "covert PR shill". Determining that a reporter had acted as a covert PR mouthpiece just because the reporter eventually became employed by said company is one of the weakest pieces of circumstantial evidence I've ever seen. So the "cognitive leap" is like jumping the grand canyon in my opinion.

I guess that depends on how you define "PR shill." If it just means biased reporting, then it could be valid.

So, there's no fact, no fuss and no problem, right? Which means this thread (which won't explode, right?) is another one ridiculing stuff emanating out of Inq's fart hole, right?

Now there I'd tend to disagree with you, but respectfully at least. ;)

Closing it would be dismissing it, but it would be seen by some as a fascist thing to do to stop people from bad talking. Just blowing the charges out of the water for the ridiculusness they represent seems a much better/funner/more entertaining idea.

IMHO, of course.

Closing it would be dismissing it, but it would be seen by some as a fascist thing to do to stop people from bad talking.
Closing this thread can only be seen as fascist if this had anything to do with Rys, which isn't the case, hence my second sentence (which many can fail to grasp its true meaning -- hierarchy, history -- which is understandable).

I just don't really wish to see the current B3D to be dragged into this kind of thing. Even if Dave was some "covert ATI PR shill" (which I definitely don't think so, not in those terms), it still has nothing to do with the current B3D. I think Geo's conduct in the forums since he joined B3D is evidence of Rys' trust in Geo's integrity. Any attempts by anyone now (not 2005, before Rys took over and asked Geo to join him) to plant seeds of distrusting thoughts in Geo's integrity would be doing exactly the same with Rys.

This thread is based on nonsense IOW.

What if someone on B3D staff was Geo's source?

They weren't, so it's a moot point. :p

That is correct. Not ATI and not B3D staff. And that's as far as I go. Go grill Hanners on who his source was, since we never talked about it before hand and there he was on the thread within minutes saying he'd heard the same things . . . well, I don't really mean 'go grill Hanners' so much as I mean it turns out it was floating around in the background; I'm just the guy who pointed at it in public first.

Edit: deleted. Not sure now after a re-read.

Look okay I'll help settle this argument ATI can give me free hardware and i'll make pro ATI statements and we can be down with it and just admit posts created by me on b3d are baised.

Okay dave are you the persson I have to give my address to? your marketing right?

Hmm, Interesting. Im sure some want this and wish this would fly under the radar.
Discussing it serves no useful purpose. B3D is in new hands following Wavey's excellent stewardship, and thus I'd appreciate everyone moving on from gripes of old. The other thread on the subject was locked, and this one isn't for discussing it either.

I agree with weeds - this whole episode seems quite macihavellian. But I can appreciate why current staff would not want this dredged up. I think everybody will have formed their opinion on the whole thing by now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back