Inq. Reader blasts Beyond3D. World Explodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave could be? Dave could be?! Thaaaaanks.
Well for part of it, however this guy:
An item of interest is that the individual who "broke" this story had received free ATI hardware in the past. In effect, the pot called the kettle black, generated a large stink, and then quietly acknowledged his own receipt of payola from the ATI side!
This guy I can't figure out....

This guy I can't figure out....

If we're to take him literally, then anyone who knows the story, which is roughly the entire tuned-in graphics community, defined broadly, knows that I broke that story. Surely anyone who already knows enough to say it happened on these forums knows it, as Mr. Steele appears to know. So that's slander on me to say I was receiving payola from ATI from before the story broke and thus this payola was likely to be the motive for my doing so.

" Reader blasts Beyond3D."

I dont blame him - terrible place you'd never catch me there

Get back to where you belong!! :D

ATI didn't bribe Geo with hardware, but with promises of nocturnal Ruby visits. Sad to say, Geo in his middle-aged excitement failed to remember that Ruby is not, in fact, a real woman. The rest is sordid history.

I was going to say, what did ATi ever give you?

Hence the slander. If ATI had been giving me hardware prior to Dec 1, 2005, then at least Mr. Steele could argue that he's engaging in a matter of opinion in the way he's characterized it as "payola". I might not find that a compelling argument, and neither might a jury, but it is an arguement. But that no IHV, AIB, etc had ever given me a blessed thing before that thread was posted, nor had I had any private discussions with such (i.e. they couldn't have promised me riches for later in exchange for my involvement), makes it slander. He also says I "quietly acknowledged" later that I had accepted the alleged payola that resulted in that thread. Ghu only knows what that's about.

Sue 'em, it'll be a fun web event. Teach 'em all about Geo's Rule... ;)

Oh, it'd be a circus alright. :LOL: I have no interest in this thing continuing to be regurgitated by such as Mr. Steele. It was concluded to my satisfaction a year ago. Let it go; move on.

Yeah, but you came over during the FX days...didn't you?

Hell, everyone here probably sounded like an ATi fanthingy to you at that point in time. ;) :LOL:

Yeah, but you came over during the FX days...didn't you?

Hell, everyone here probably sounded like an ATi fanthingy to you at that point in time. ;) :LOL:

Yeah I came over just after the FX I think - I learned nearly everything I know about it from WaltC :LOL: Went from a geforce4 to R300 without so much as blinking in the direction of NV30.

Yeah I came over just after the FX I think - I learned nearly everything I know about it from WaltC :LOL: Went from a geforce4 to R300 without so much as blinking in the direction of NV30.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Waste of talent running a website when you're blessed with such a "graphics brain". :LOL: No offence to the rest of the B3D staff of course.

A former Extremetech writer or editor joined Nvidia's marketing department so does that mean Extremetech was covertly pushing Nvidia at the time. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

I disagree. If a reporter ultimately joins with Nvidia, it is not out of the question that the person was reporting with a bias towards Nvidia. Same could be true with Dave Baumann too. This is no different than when Tony Snow jumped from foxnews to the Bush administation, and we cannot easily dismiss the idea that the person was biased in his reporting up to that point.

Bias really isnt as much of an issue as communication. Having an open line of communication with an IHV can mean alot. About 5 months ago I was offered a job in Nvidia's devtech department ((TWIMP program)) which I had to turn down for personal reasons. Which I hope to later take them up on. However it's not so much about bias but having that line of communication and an open relationship with an IHV. It's obvious dave has always had good communicative relationship with ATI. And theres nothing wrong with that. Relationships eventually develop and become job opportunity's under the right circumstance. I have seen it for myself as its even happened to me... And others who I have been friends with in this industry...

Of course what would a shill topic be without flaming? ChrisRay is a heartless and soulless shill who would sell his opinion for a dollars worth of gasoline and a donut. :p

Everybody is Biased in a sense, the goal for any reporter is to not show his bias in any article or review.

Now we see a lot of those biases in web reviews and everybody can point the sites out that would eat donkey droppings before writing something negative about their prefered partners.

This site is more enthausiastic about possible and theoratical performance than winning certain benchmarks.
I think most senior members here are an epitome of inpartiality, thanks for the sig. Chris

Everybody is Biased in a sense, the goal for any reporter is to not show his bias in any article or review.
Hopefully the goal would be to be as unbiased as possible, and be upfront and clear about the biases that exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back