New site

Well, I did make sure to capture viewport data, rather than the size of the application window border, but you're probably right; the data there might not be perfect.
Didn't intend to come off as overly negative, and your data may be better than I gave them credit for (although most web statistics are only usable by marketeers and others less interested in reality than they are in pretty pie-charts; self selection effects tend to run rampant). It's mostly the assumption part. For instance, my normal viewport tend to be large enough for the page to look as intended, yet 'normal web usage' (i.e. opening my bookmarks) will break it. Navigational elements shift position, margins squeeze together and impair readability, I may have to scroll (horizontally!) to keep navigating the site, and I have to spend a couple of seconds 'relearning' the page before I continue reading...

All minor (and certainly fixable) flaws, but exactly the kind that impair web usability. A key to successful web-navigation is pages that are instinctively 'experienced' rather than read when it comes to the common elements, and right now the design fail at that. One other thing to look at in that regard is, for instance, the location and distinctiveness of the navigational tool for multipage content. Any departure from 'the conventional way of doing things' should be undertaken with care.
Regardless, I still think we made the right minwidth choices for the long haul.
IM(NS)HO, you're wrong on that one. Take your 90%, for example: Alienating 10% of your users 100% of the time by design is a really, really poor move in and of itself, but that number may just as easily be interpreted as annoying 100% of your users 10% of the time, which may be even worse.
And yes, a few tweaks here and there and we should be mostly alright.
Oh, I'm certain. :cool:

[Insert mandatory no one ever reads the frontpage content anyway joke here] :devilish:

[maven];946202 said:
Being the egomaniac that I am, I was unable to find the results (not the call for entries) for the B3D / ATI DX9 Shader Competition...
I like the logo, not sure if it's actually new, though... ;)

If that doesn't show up in a few weeks, give a holler.

Hmm, small bug? Cant seem to stay logged on once broweser closes and i restart FF.

Im going through forum.b3 to get to the forum.
You haven't accidentally set the cookie policy for B3D to be "remember for session" rather than permanent, have you?

Hmm, small bug? Cant seem to stay logged on once broweser closes and i restart FF.

Im going through forum.b3 to get to the forum.
You haven't accidentally set the cookie policy for forum.beyond3d to be "remember for session" rather than permanent, have you?

Overall it looks nice, but needs some getting used to. In general, I feel there should be more spacing/contrast between elements, but a tiny bit less line spacing.

For example, the headings in the left column are hard to see because they start at the same indentation level as the bulletpointed links and have the same line spacing. They almost look like visited links. Make them stand out! The same goes for the "Featured Content" block, there's hardly any padding between that and the first news article.

"More news in this category" – which category? The heading colors should be explained somewhere.

Why does the right column have the heading "RSS Feeds" when there are no RSS feeds (at least not for the user)? That block should be set apart from the rest so the content column flow is more obvious.

For the articles, I'd prefer to have page navigation at the top as well. And I don't particularly like the image viewer window, but at least they are just normal links that can be opened in a new tab.

I very much like it, it looks great. Has a very current look.

My only nit pick is how the left is the latest news item then down, and then the right continues that list. Instead I think it should follow a more traditional reading flow. Right now it feels like its on two pages instead of one if you were to compare it to say a book.

The old format was much more utalitarian and to the point. This new site layout frankly sucks. The text spacing is odd, there is overall less text but more in-your-face ads.

IM(NS)HO, you're wrong on that one. Take your 90%, for example: Alienating 10% of your users 100% of the time by design is a really, really poor move in and of itself, but that number may just as easily be interpreted as annoying 100% of your users 10% of the time, which may be even worse.

Great work... but I have to agree with this one. There is entirely way too much room left open and unused on the right-hand side of the front page.

I have to agree with softwareguy256, the new layout is too bright and colourfull the old layout looked more professional imho

what no one has mentioned (maybe it wasnt part of the upgrade) is the console faq
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=22121

this is a work of pure genuis im not sure who wrote it but i salute them, its genius i guess lies in its subtleness "Use only one question or exclamation mark, damn!" I was taken in at first because people who are that pedantic do exist...
i think it was the hairdo jokes that gave it away especially when followed with "Note that even the slightest "tongue in cheek" remarks can also be deleted"

anyway it made me smile...
good work whoever wrote it...

"LOL, ROFL cannot be really spelled out, but they can be easily replaced by a always appreciated "heh heh!" or the crowd favorite "ha ha!"." = Pure Class.......

I currently only see one ad (top banner) but I assume there will be one more in the top-right column. If this is the case, it's fine by me (Rys, please consider my emailed suggestion regarding the top banner ad placement/position).

Feel free to drop me that said mail :)

The old format was much more utalitarian and to the point. This new site layout frankly sucks. The text spacing is odd, there is overall less text but more in-your-face ads.

I don't have an issue with the ads, but the rest of the front page layout simply looks bizarre to me. I really can't work out what goes where any more.

EDIT: Having said that, the new logo and navigation bar are very nice, and moving to a decent CMS will definitely be a big improvement, so it isn't all bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go to beyond3d.com I get the apache web page that just says:

Great Success !
Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server

etc...etc...

What happened to the site?

When I go to beyond3d.com I get the apache web page that just says:

Great Success !
Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server

etc...etc...

What happened to the site?

Temporary oopsie at that url. Try the "www." in front for now.

I really liked the old layout a lot better. It just seems unprofessional and disorganized. Some changes need to made for sure. I'm finding it quite difficult to navigate, far more difficult then it needs to be anyway. Regardless I'm afraid beyond 3d just lost some credibility, as it stands it looks like one of the spam sites you randomly get redirected too when you type in hoogle.com -_-

Back