New site

Yikes, its been a while since I visited the site and I had to double check the URL. Im not really digging this new look to be honest. It seems very ad based, where its hard to tell whats an ad and whats a normal link. Lack of clear border isnt helping that situation IMO.

RSS feeds text and below (forum posts??) are kinda in an odd place as well, They sorta throw off the dual news post format you guys are going for.

I think you guys should play around with adding borders to seperate news posts from both each other and the ad's if possible. Just IMO really.

Also why cant you guys make the site scale more? Im running 1920 and have plenty of room left on the sides, I really dislike it when sites add that artifical window to fit content in. Might wanna look into making it scale properly for all resolutions.

Gelanin said:
I just sort of feel i cant easily see "what is what" on the frontpage, with no borders/backgroud colors etc.
This will change in due time.
The site style is still far from definitive. We have just launched with the most basic configuration.

With that said, folks who like simplicity, fear not, the definitive site style won't be cluttered or anything of the sort. It will just be easier to read and navigate for the end user.
I'm quoting myself, which is of poor ettiquete, I know, but I do it for great justice. ;)

I'll repeat just in case, the current site style is far from finished, so fear not, folks, eventually, it won't stay like this for long.
Having said that, don't hesitate to point out what you'd like to see implemented and or changed, since construtive criticism is always something positive.

I was just looking at http://www.fudzilla.com and noticed the dinky page layout controls in the top right corner, which work well. I think that kind of control over font size and page layout would work well here, too.

Jawed

the new looks "hurts" my eyes.
It's your prerogative to think so, of course, and it is very much to be expected that some people have that opinion, since the design is not final at all. The fundamental idea behind the layout and the navigation bar are really the only two things that are, AFAIK, final.

I'm curious, though - what specific point annoys you most in the current design?

Fixed. I had it hard coded in the hosts file because the b3d DNS servers where dropping packets from completely valid ip address because they didn't bother updating their bogon filters.

I rarely ever touch the main page...but I find this new look to be overly-bubbly and bright, and the lack of clear strong borders around the individual sections is rather annoying. I don't know, just too 'happy' looking for me :p

Brain dump!

I can see how such a strong blue might be too prevalent, especially for furtive on-the-job sneaks (remember the commotion over the first blue rep lights? :)). Is changing it to grey (a softer color and a tie-in with the old site) on the nav bar an option, leaving the new insignia that same blue (and further offsetting it)?

I also prefer my site nav tools on the right side, though you might want to keep it on the left for the same reason I want it on the right: my eye goes to it more naturally, maybe b/c of the scroll bar, and the news layout is no stranger to scrolling.

I assume you want a prominent place for the latest, "featured" article, and so you put the RSS Feeds + forum + H.tv box right next to it as an easy complement (size-wise, anyway)? Can you offset the article more by placing it in a colored box? You might even want to swap the blue in the nav bar for that feature article box, as the latter's more important, anyway.

I think news items are going to be lined up L-R, then top-bottom, which is a lot better for page flow. Still, I really think you need to shrink title sizes and bump main text size up a point or two. Have you considered going to a three-column news bit format--perhaps allowing for three articles to be highlighted, too--by replacing the leftmost "Latest [Item]" with mouse-over drop-downs on the nav bar? It's prominent enough already, and doesn't seem too hidden for our interweb-savvy audience.

Should that RSS button (the orange wave) line up in the nav bar or next to the honkin' "RSS Feeds" non-link?

I've got more suggestions--yeah, I'm the "helpful" type--but a .png might be more concise. Still, it's not bad, and at least it's got people talking about the front page again. :p Seriously, I'm sure you're still tweaking, and if it's reducing overhead, then it's a good move.

And a note for the good DR: I don't always see all the ad spots populated (latest Firefox), though I'm guessing you expect some initial bubbles.

Like the logo (might be old;)), dislike the redesign.
Messy (if you need to assault us with lots of text, atleast have the latest news larger so we can see if anything has changed with a quick look), bad colours (everything on a white background? ick!), stock graphics (gradient menu-bar with logo. double-ick!)

Probably stuff others've said and luckily I only come here for the forums, but I mostly just came here to whine about beyond3d.com still pointing to the old IP. Update your DNS! Requiring www. is so archaic. (no, I will not start using f.b3d.com. I have to sort through enough sites to find the forum I'm looking for already)
</whine>

It's your prerogative to think so, of course, and it is very much to be expected that some people have that opinion, since the design is not final at all. The fundamental idea behind the layout and the navigation bar are really the only two things that are, AFAIK, final.

I'm just being honest, as I think Beyond3D is the place for facts and truth, not "fanboyism" in any way ;)

I'm curious, though - what specific point annoys you most in the current design?

The layout - Looks like TheInq...it's not as "easy" to read as the old one, it looks messy/garbled.
The colors - Those are what "hurt" my eyes, those "sissy" colors combined with the new layout.

Only thing I like is the top logo and the top menubar...the rest look kinda "frontpage with bad colors" to me IMHO.

I don't have a problem with different colored news headlines, but would some of you prefer the same color for all headlines and maybe a pic for an identifier (or using something specific rather than "more news in this category")? Not sure if either's possible, just a thought vis-a-vis this minor color insurrection. :p

I don't have a problem with different colored news headlines, but would some of you prefer the same color for all headlines and maybe a pic for an identifier (or using something specific rather than "more news in this category")? Not sure if either's possible, just a thought vis-a-vis this minor color insurrection. :p
:runaway: Yes! I didnt want to admit that it actually took me a minute to figure out the different colors. :oops:

A uniform headline color would be better.

epic

I like the new layout, it does need a few adjustments :

1) Agree with others that a single title colour is needed - I'm getting a bad case of 'information overload' recognising news posts on the front news page!

2) The main text (quite a light shade of gray comparted to say the forum or previous B3D) it needs to be darker for higher contrast (i.e easy reading).

3) I really miss the 'title page names' on the navigation drop-down list box (page 1, page 2, page 3, etc is no use when I want to jump straight to say the 'ROPs section' of a article).

Was it just me or was beyond3d as a whole, including the forums, unavailable for the past few hours?
If so, welcome back, you were missed!
After the first round of tweaking, the front page already looks friendlier and clearer. Or maybe it hasn't changed at all and I'm just getting used to it ;)

Back