ps3 and spdif

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
does the ps3 have a spdif output? either coaxial or toslink.

so that I could connect one to my receiver.

thx....

If you had looked at all the pictures you would have noticed it has toslink output (optical S/PDIF) ;)

Of course. I wouldnt be surprised of most of the first releases for PS3 are DVDs, just like a lot of early PS2 releases were CD.

so no blue-ray for those first releases? will sony provide a free upgrade later on?

Skyring meant the initial releases might be in DVD format, but the PS3 itself is capable of playing DVD and Blueray from get go. There will be no upgrades to enable any new formats. (then again, weren't all Japanese launch titles in BR?)

PS3 can support SPDIF via optical, but it can also support Dolby True HD/DTS Master through HDMI. No idea how SACD playback will be handled. I hope it's via HDMI.

Of course. I wouldnt be surprised of most of the first releases for PS3 are DVDs, just like a lot of early PS2 releases were CD.
I'd be very surprised. All PS3 games (the physically distributed ones, anyway) will be on BD-ROM.

Dean

I'd be very surprised. All PS3 games (the physically distributed ones, anyway) will be on BD-ROM.

Dean

Interesting. Seems extremely stupid, but interesting. There is no doubt still a premium on such discs, so why the heck use them when you do not need to? I highly doubt all of the games are going to be using more space than DVD provides them.

Interesting. Seems extremely stupid, but interesting. There is no doubt still a premium on such discs, so why the heck use them when you do not need to? I highly doubt all of the games are going to be using more space than DVD provides them.
piracy perhaps? making the media format visable in ther eyes of consumers as well

piracy perhaps? making the media format visable in ther eyes of consumers as well

Piracy.... maybe. They would need a mighty ego for that to be it though. If they seriously think they've come up with some method that will prevent BD-Roms from making it onto the net then they're insane. The only thing that will even slow it down is the lack of any cheap Blu-Ray device.

The media format is the only one that I can think of that makes any sense. Since the push for Blu-Ray with PS3 is very important.

Sony said there releaseing ALL games on BD-ROMS to stop piracy :)

Piracy.... maybe. They would need a mighty ego for that to be it though. If they seriously think they've come up with some method that will prevent BD-Roms from making it onto the net then they're insane. The only thing that will even slow it down is the lack of any cheap Blu-Ray device.

The media format is the only one that I can think of that makes any sense. Since the push for Blu-Ray with PS3 is very important.

1 SKU for all regions, all languages. For some publishers, that's probably incentive enough.

Yep. There was actually some discussion because you can see on the back of the bluray how much space is being used and speculation from there that some games could easily have fit on a DVD disc.

I think though that a lot of people also forget that the PS3 can probably read data more smoothly of BD discs using the blue laser than from a DVD disc using the red laser. The DVD player AFAIK is only ranked as an 8x player, which means the BD player should be faster, especially as apparently using the second layer on a DVD also generally comes with a speed premium.

I don't know the details of this though. But it does make sense.

Dean, I thought some EA games were shipping on DVD-ROM, but everyone else is shipping on BD-ROM.
Not sure that's correct. AFAIK, all titles without exception ship on BD-ROM. Although i believe you can play DVD-ROM authored titles on test/debug kits (this is as a convenience to devs).

Dean

Back