Omega Point

alexsok

Regular
I qoute from Wikipedia:
Omega point is reprised by the mathematical physicist Frank J. Tipler to describe a hypothetical cosmological scenario in the far future of the Universe. According to his omega point theory, as the Universe comes to an end in a specific kind of Big Crunch, the computational capacity of the Universe will be accelerating exponentially faster than time runs out. In principle, a simulation run on this Universe-computer can thus continue forever in its own terms, even though the Universe the computer is in lasts only a finite time. The omega point theory assumes that certain cosmological parameters have values that require the universe to eventually contract, and that there will be intelligent civilizations in existence at the appropriate time to exploit the computational capacity of such an environment.

Tipler identifies this asymptotic state of infinite information capacity with God. The implication of this theory for present-day humans is that this ultimate cosmic computer will essentially be able to resurrect ("simulate" might be a more modest verb) everyone who has ever lived, by recreating all possible quantum brain states within the master simulation. This will be manifested as a simulated reality, except without the necessity for physical bodies. From the perspective of the simulated "inhabitant," the Omega Point represents an infinite-duration afterlife, which could take any imaginable form due to its virtual nature.

What do you guys think about this scenario?

Pfft... Even with infinite computational power, i'm sure that the "intelligent civilizations in existence at the appropriate time who will exploit the computational capacity of such an environment" will still make things run at an unstable 30fps...

Sounds like garbage.
Personally I will wait until Chalnoth or Neeyik say something about this before I even start to believe it.

It's not garbage, but it is based on the assumption of a closed universe, which we now believe isn't the case. Infinite computing power allows you to accomplish anything.

Pardon me, but I'm a lot more skeptical about this sort of stuff without having a resident physicist put his/her opinion about the topic first.

I didn't think such a thing was possible at all, but at least now I know why.
Thanks.

It's not garbage, but it is based on the assumption of a closed universe, which we now believe isn't the case. Infinite computing power allows you to accomplish anything.

I read Tipler's book. Interesting if a little "out there." I think he presents the idea fairly: possible under our best understanding of physics, but in the end not that likely (though I don't think he ever comes out and just says that).

The hypothesis does make some very testable predictions... conditions that have to be satisfied for the Omega Point reality to even be possible. As DemoCoder pointed out, the biggest is that the scenario depends on the universe being closed, and that doesn't look to be the case. I think it's a pretty sound usage of science, since the hypothesis is profoundly testable and falsifiable.

Pardon me, but I'm a lot more skeptical about this sort of stuff without having a resident physicist put his/her opinion about the topic first.

Frank Tipler is one of the foremost physicists there is. Sure, physicists can become crackpots, but atleast you can check their math, and no one has refuted Tipler's math.

You can criticize the handwaving on engineering aspects (he only shows infinite energy and computation as being theoretically possible, but does not explain how one could engineer anything to work in that environment), but I think his reasoning on the energy diverging is sound.

Back