"Back to the future"

DUALDISASTER

Newcomer
I have a few questions consering the PSP's future:
1.Do you guys believe it is a failed product?
2.Will a killer app make a difference in sells for the hardware?

It seems no matter how hard Sony tries, they can't make their handheld to move. They've come out with great games and they still suffer from the "gamecube effect". What game needs to come out for the handeld to get some recognition it deserves?

psp can be the PC of the pocket format - the device is litaraly a technological candy to the salivating devs (actually i'd say more than the PC was to personal computer devs back then - the PC was just plenty of cpu and mem resources - the psp offers whole paradigm advancements) - it has all those things devs have wet dreams about, and it's both way cheaper and more potent than a pocketpc. sony just need to make it accessible to unlicensed devs. ..which, of course, will never happen.

I have a few questions consering the PSP's future:

It seems no matter how hard Sony tries, they can't make their handheld to move. They've come out with great games and they still suffer from the "gamecube effect". What game needs to come out for the handeld to get some recognition it deserves?

Outside of Japan it does rather well. And in Japan it sells fine. It isn't like it's selling at 360 levels in Japan or something. Actually, if you count worldwide sales I think PSP and X360 are selling pretty close to each other, PSP possibly even a bit better (not sure about PSP/360 sales in EU though, but in JP 360 sells like 5-10k a month, PSP sells 100k... in NA psp sells around ~160k a month, 360 sells ~200k). Does that mean 360 is a failure? What are your arbitrary definitions of success and failure?

I'd also say it has quite a few killer apps as is.

They'll pass gamecube's lifetime sales next year (and Xbox's), so I'm not sure a comparison to GC is necessarily a good one.

I, honestly, don't understand this stigma that PSP has... it's getting a bit old, considering if one puts half an ounce of thought into it, it's pretty obvious that the line of questioning is horribly stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll pass gamecube's lifetime sales next year (and Xbox's), so I'm not sure a comparison to GC is necessarily a good one.

I, honestly, don't understand this stigma that PSP has... it's getting a bit old, considering if one puts half an ounce of thought into it, it's pretty obvious that the line of questioning is horribly stupid.

Well, i was thinking the same thing, but the general public has a nasty habit of claiming PSP has no games. Just visiting a gamesite can be a downer, making one feel as if their purchase was a bad decision. See, gamesarefun.com. I have a lot of fun with my PSP, it's just that there are not many games that are great. And if it is a good game, there's probably a better version on the home consoles...beings it's a port and all.

PSP is looking healthy enough. Lots of great titles out, lots of great titles still coming, and lots of publishers making healthy money. With all the hubbub about how the PSP would be a failed system, even a company like Infrogames (also owns Atari in U.S.) manages to get 23% of its revenue out of PSP sales.

As mentioned, the PSP will probably already have overtaken both the GC and the Xbox by now, and certainly by the end of the year. That kind of install base ensures that support is likely to be profitable for a long time to come. And if you search around, you can definitely find plenty of publishers for whom PSP titles are significant revenue contributers.

You know why a handful of PSP games are making such high revenue?

Because they're some of the only good games, and everyone that gets a PSP buys them!

*dons flame-resistant body suit* :runaway:

Compared to the DS and Sony's initial expectations of the PSP, it definately is a massive failure. From a business point of view the question is, "is Sony making a profit from the PSP?"

No. In the handheld space most people do not want a portable PS2. Sony needs to rethink its strategy.

Well it would depend if it sells at a loss, or whether it is a money-making business right now. If they are making money right now, well the user-base has been expanding quickly. Certainly not as quickly as the DS, but as it gets bigger and bigger the potential for massive titles that sell huge numbers grows, and all it takes is a few successes before devs really get to work on the system IMO.

You know why a handful of PSP games are making such high revenue?

Because they're some of the only good games, and everyone that gets a PSP buys them!

*dons flame-resistant body suit* :runaway:

You do deserve some flaming, you know? ;)

But anyway, the revenue per PSP game is $10 higher than on DS games. So that while the total sales of units on the DS is a lot higher, the PSP still makes 70% of the revenue of the DS sales. Plenty of PSP games have passed the million mark, and there are really plenty of high-ranking PSP games.

Sure, some people complain that those games are available on the console too, but that's typically a complaint from game-nuts who play their DS games at home rather than on the road. Burnout Legends and Tekken are highly popular games on the PSP because people can play them on the road and can play each other over wifi, not because noone has bought those games yet on their consoles. And if it were only a handful of games, then surely you wouldn't expect Infrogrames

What really skews people's perception on the internet is that proper sales data is only (publicly) available for the Japanese market. But in the meantime, the difference between the PSP and the DS, even if, say, there are 20 million PSPs out there and 25 million DS's, isn't actually that big, and both systems are doing a lot better than several current gen consoles. In fact, even the 360 will still have to prove that it can match either handhelds.

Plenty of PSP games have passed the million mark

"Plenty" meaning All 3 of them ?
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PSP&publisher=&sort=Total

Meanwhile :
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=&sort=Total

(take into account that this list is a bit old since Pokemon doesn't appear into it)

But in the meantime, the difference between the PSP and the DS, even if, say, there are 20 million PSPs out there and 25 million DS's, isn't actually that big

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4246950&postcount=175
Comparing shipped vs. sold again, are we ? :rolleyes: I'm sure Sony is enjoying the great software tie-ratio of those PSP sitting on shelves.

Frankly, Arwin, those PSP threads would be much more interesting if you didn't, every single time, try to inject faith-based "data" into them for damage-control purposes.

That's absolutely silly since PSP is doing quite well on its own, with nice HW sales, solid (if a bit disappointing, but not all games have to be million sellers) SW sales for a healthy number of 3rd party devs, boosted Mem Stick sales (also an incentive for people to later get a Sony MS-reading phone or digicam). Only people for whom the PSP numbers are bad news are Sony suits confronted with their bullish quotes from the past, and desperate, bitter fanb0ys who proudly claimed from forum to forum how the PSP was gonna crush the DS in a couple of months and reduce Nintendo to 3rd party, and are now reduced to "but nobody expected Sony to beat Nintendo in the handheld market on their first try".

But anyway, the revenue per PSP game is $10 higher than on DS games.

Link please ? Also is this figure taking dev cost into account ?

Hard to get reliable data, isn't it? Wipeout should be on this list, for instance.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4246950&postcount=175
Comparing shipped vs. sold again, are we ? :rolleyes: I'm sure Sony is enjoying the great software tie-ratio of those PSP sitting on shelves.

Not really. The 20 million shipped figure was of several months ago. I've made the bold assumption that since then, both systems have sold a fair number. If I was doing damage control I would have somehow tried to embezzle that 5 million gap that the DS has made between itself and the PSP - though to be frank, it may well be more than 5 million by now - probably more like 6 million, maybe 7-8 even - shame we don't have any reliable sales outside of Japan, especially Europe. But it's still fairly clear that most of that difference is made in Japan.

Frankly, Arwin, those PSP threads would be much more interesting if you didn't, every single time, try to inject faith-based "data" into them for damage-control purposes.

I'm not doing any damage control, just trying to help people keep a balanced, realistic view. This is necessary because a lot of people seem to lose perspective. Just look at the OP. You seem to agree yourself and other than that, you'll be hard pressed to find quotes from me stating that the PSP would wipe the DS off the market.

Link please ? Also is this figure taking dev cost into account ?

No, it's just the price of the units sold.

Of course, while technical development for PSP games is more expensive, this is offset by publishers being able to recycle more assets.

I'll try to find the link ... It's been a while, but I used it in a previous post so it has to be out there somewhere.

Here: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=801728&postcount=15

(and in that post I see it's 7$, not 10$, but I seem to have remembered the percentages right at least)

since Corwin mentioned pokemon, i got curious and looked it up and...

September 25 - October 1, 2006
1. 820,047 - Pokémon Diamond (DS)
2. 768,687 - Pokémon Pearl (DS)

3. 122,800 - .hack//G.U. Vol. 2 (PS2)
4. 68,755 - Hot Shots Tennis (PS2)
5. 57,508 - New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
6. 45,292 - Kanken (DS)
7. 39,897 - Brain Training 2 (DS)
8. 39,165 - Final Fantasy III (DS)
9. 29,304 - Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI (PS2)
10. 26,287 - Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)

holly poke-batman! did that game just cumulatively sell 1.6M copies in _one_week_? :oops:

Don't you think that's a little extreme?!;)

Dont you think you could stand on your own? You've made a number of these threads about how depressed or whatever over the public thought on the PSP. How about you just go enjoy what you bought and say screw you to everyone else. Seriously, your threads are based on nothing but a worried fan boy type person upset because not everyone thinks the same way you do. The fact is that you should be concerned about what you like and not everyone else.

apropos, Arwin, your remark about wipeout seems to stand - here's what wikipedia has to say on the subject:

Sony PlayStation Portable games that have sold more than one million copies worldwide as of August 2006. [303]

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (3.11 million) [304]
Ridge Racers (1.04 million) [305]
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1.00 million) [306]
Wipeout Pure (1.00 million) [307]

Hard to get reliable data, isn't it? Wipeout should be on this list, for instance.

Well, since you are the one who made the "plenty of PSP games past 1 million" quote in the 1st place, why don't you provide your own set of (hopefully more reliable) data to prove your point ? I provided a link, with which you disagree (btw, the Wikipedia entry provided by Darkblu is currently locked because of controversy and inaccuracies). Yes, all we have are estimations. But those estimations are at least extrapolated from actual data. You can argue about the details of said extrapolation, but before that either show us your own data on those many under the radar PSP Platinum games, or explain us how 4 games (giving you Wipeout) constitute "plenty".

Not really. The 20 million shipped figure was of several months ago. I've made the bold assumption that since then, both systems have sold a fair number.

You are still comparing shipped data (PSP) vs sold data (DS). In August, data gathered from NPD (US actual sales), Media Create (JP actual sales) and Sony PR (4.5 millions PSP actually sold in EU) pointed toward over 4 millions PSP in inventory/retail channel/repair (since Sony's definition of shipped numbers include anything out of the assembly line). There's no way that at its current rate the PSP has sold 4 millions since August (it sold under 150K in US in August, and sells between 25K and 40K a week in Japan). DS sold 278K in August (US), sells over 150K each week in Japan, and last data we got from Europe was 140K a week (may be less now since the DSLite novelty factor probably wore off a bit).

If I was doing damage control I would have somehow tried to embezzle that 5 million gap that the DS has made between itself and the PSP - though to be frank, it may well be more than 5 million by now - probably more like 6 million, maybe 7-8 even - shame we don't have any reliable sales outside of Japan, especially Europe. But it's still fairly clear that most of that difference is made in Japan.

So just because you could make completely outlandish claims, your argument doesn't constitute damage control ? Saying that the PSP has "plenty" of million sellers is an example of damage control in the purest form. Using the gap between PSP "out of factory" numbers and DS sold numbers as some kind of relevant data is another example.

I'm not doing any damage control, just trying to help people keep a balanced, realistic view. This is necessary because a lot of people seem to lose perspective.

And what better way is there to keep perspective than calling 4 games "plenty" ? After all, actual handheld sales figures have a well-known Nintendo-bias, so some matter of "balance" is needed.

you'll be hard pressed to find quotes from me stating that the PSP would wipe the DS off the market.

You know, my comment was not necessary about you. Scrolling through various forums, it's pretty easy to find bullish quotes (and not only by Sony fanb0ys) on how the PSP was gonna crush the DS.

Thanks for the link on better revenue per unit for the PSP, I remember this conversation. Revenue per unit is a bit of a misleading notion, though, since it doesn't take into account development costs and actual sales.

Dont you think you could stand on your own? You've made a number of these threads about how depressed or whatever over the public thought on the PSP. How about you just go enjoy what you bought and say screw you to everyone else. Seriously, your threads are based on nothing but a worried fan boy type person upset because not everyone thinks the same way you do. The fact is that you should be concerned about what you like and not everyone else.

Well it's not that cut and dry. I have to be worried, if the PSP stops selling, there will be no games, and no games results in me having a 250 dollar paper weight. When surfing the web you'll lose perception of what's going on, so i turn to a place where people have a damn clue. It's not being a fanb0y, i don't don't want to support a failing system. Simple as that.

Well it's not that cut and dry. I have to be worried, if the PSP stops selling, there will be no games, and no games results in me having a 250 dollar paper weight. When surfing the web you'll lose perception of what's going on, so i turn to a place where people have a damn clue. It's not being a fanb0y, i don't don't want to support a failing system. Simple as that.

What gives you the idea it's going to stop selling? You seem to have this (irrational) fear of it, yet there isn't any evidence to support your fears. It's silly on your part.

There are far more productive things to waste your time worrying about (not that worrying about stuff in general is very productive to begin with).

Back