"Some sort of ATI graphics card"

Whoa Doomtrooper. that answered my question nicely.

Wonder why ATI doesn't bring the third team in, tho. (1 ATI, 2 ArtX/Flipper, 3 IBM/FireGL). OK, I don't wonder.

Doomtrooper said:
While this is logical, anything (sheesh, anything) to back this up? I'd like to believe... But if ya provide nothing, I'll be relegated to a Martox/Bibtoys fan, irretrievably lost :LOL:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1463&p=2

Here Anand interviewed Dave Orton, ATI'S president..

Q:NVIDIA seems to have 3 or 4 design teams in order to order to have a new generation out roughly every year. How many design teams does ATI have?

A. With the addition of the ArtX team that was working on the Flipper chip for Nintendo, we now have 2 full design teams working concurrently on advanced, high performance designs, plus additional teams working on transferring these technologies into mainstream and integrated graphics products

Thanks Doom, didnt wanna have to search for the interview again.

John Reynolds said:
Let that company's PR and marketing dept. do their own jobs and keep your site relegated to the fun stuff.

It's just a simple case of monkey see, monkey do and following in suite *with* one's favorite IHV.

It's just a difference in methodology for marketing. Plain and simple. You can sell a "product" in one of three ways:
1) Highlight the capabilities and assets of the product in question.
2) Detriment and post derrogatory assessment of the competition.
3) Do a combination of both.

You see it in politics. While one candidate is advertising "I'm Pro-this, and Pro-That.. and I'll cut your taxes by X% if I'm elected!" the other candidate is advertising "The other guy takes bribes. He also was seen at such-and-such event and voted NO against blah blah initiative!"

The latter has always been NVIDIA's marketing angle. From the days of extreme competition with 3dfx, their marketing angle was always of #2 from above. Even their own FAQS started every question with "The 3DFX product is inferior because of XYZ ..." From "No HW T&L" to "No 32 bit color on the Voodoo3" to "Requires outdated technology" to "the card is too large" to "poorly implemented multi-chip design" to more modern slideshow and muck-raking against the Kyro... not to mention providing tools to websites to exploit "Quack" with ATI. They have always taken this angle of marketing their products so their fansites are simple following by example.

You really cant fault followers that are simply doing as they have seen. The change has to happen at a higher level before any significant paradigm shift can occur in the marketplace.

And when was the last time you saw some of the undead wandering around to compare them to?

Pffft every day here at work before 5 PM. Usally more on Monday and fewer on Friday :)

OK, getting OT, but....

No..."perSON" wouldn't cut it. Sexist as well. HuMAN? Same problem. We want to convey the meaning of a "human", without any sexist connotaions. Start with

So starting with "FanBoy"...replace Boy with Human...

"Fan-Human."....

Now we have to replace "Man" with "person"...

"Fan-Hu-Person"....

And finally, replace "Son" with "offspring"...

"Fan-Hu-per-offspring."

Yeah...most of us laugh and kid about this stuff. :) I used to, until I went to Rutgers University. The Douglass College Governing Association (Douglass college is an all-woman's college within Rutgers University) actually SUCCEEDED in getting the Univeristy to pass and enact a bylaw which OFFICIALLY banned the use of the word "Freshman" from ALL official Rutgers University correspondence, on the grounds that it was sexist. That's right, ever since 1989, Rutgers University no longer regognizes or uses the term "Freshman"...they use "First-Year-Student."

There's a general rule in political correctness...the more "politically correct" term you use...the more syllables you need. :rolleyes:

Ty said:
Why not just "fan"? :)

Bah, that just sounds too innocuous. It has to be at least somewhat derogatory.

How about FanTurd? That's a good name! Reminds me of what my Mom calls my younger brothers...and me on occasion :)

I (as a Swede) must object to the use of the word "f-n" since it's one of the most common profanities in swedish. It's a call for this guy/gal/entity => :devilish: but is normally used the same way as you use the name of his/her/its home. (Which means at 2-3 random locations in each sentence.)

Basic, what about words that work the other way around? For instance the word "fart" (meaning "speed" in swedish) ? ;)

For anyone interested, check out how to curse in swedish ! :eek:

Regards / ushac

DaveBaumann said:
From Gamespots Doom preview:

Doom was apparently shown running on a 2.2Ghz system using some sort of ATI graphics card. It's scheduled for release sometime next year.

Any guesses as to 'what' sort of ATi graphics card? Obviously Radeon 8500 would be an obvious choice but then you'd think they would have picked that up.

I really hope it was an 8500 for it means that my Ti200 will run it ;)

ATI press release mention next product, so R300.

See ATI website

quote :

"- Id Software™ has chosen ATI's next generation graphics architecture as the platform for previewing their unbelievably realistic and much anticipated DOOM III™ at this year's E3 Expo."

ushac said:
Basic, what about words that work the other way around? For instance the word "fart" (meaning "speed" in swedish) ? ;)

Yeah, or why not "prick" (meaning "dot" in Swedish). :)
Very commonly use by mistake of Swedes, especially when talking about our Swedish letters ä and ö ("a with two dots", "o with two dots"), even our Swedish state minister made that mistake. There were some people that kept refering to him as Goran (his name is Göran), so after a while he would correct them saying "No, my name is Göran, with two pricks." :D

Back