R580+

It seems strange that a similar design can't get higher than 650MHz, even when reduced to 80nm (if that is indeed the case with R580+).
This could be yet another explanation for the 3 week delay we've been hearing about lately.

you are totally wrong....:smile:

wait the r580+ isn't on .90 and is on .80 and its still the same size as the .90 r580? That doesn't sound right. Anyone have chip sizes? What makes it even more wierd is you're saying a .90 g80 with 500 mill tranis is the same size?

Trumphsiao I know most of your info is accurate but unless our info is way off the mark don't see that happening :LOL:

It seems strange that a similar design can't get higher than 650MHz, even when reduced to 80nm (if that is indeed the case with R580+).
This could be yet another explanation for the 3 week delay we've been hearing about lately.

Depends on the process they used, if they did indeed go to .80 and if they used a power conserving process it could be. But too many if's ;)

wait the r580+ isn't on .90 and is on .80 and its still the same size as the .90 r580? That doesn't sound right.
I wonder why, when I measure the die size of the R580+ on a board lying on my desk, that it's exactly the same size as the R580 on another board. Maybe because it's 90nm and the same damn chip? ;)

R580+ isn't marked as such, either. It says R580 on the die and you tell by looking at the revision code.

Reactions: Geo
Sounds like it's the same R580 chip just a new spin, and slightly revised board/cooler combined with GDDR4 that gives R580 room to flex it's muscles.

Please Keep G80 rumors in it's thread. This should be for the R580+.

I guess having waited at least a year on all the various chips/cards can get to me. At least with the tech-launch of the R580+ in a couple of weeks we can at least put this thread to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
BRiT is becoming the "G80/R580+/R600 rumormongering separation Nazi" of 3Dtech. :LOL: Posts moved.

Read Rys´s last post, then read my post again.

Maybe he saw this NV slide, it says 80nm.

060814_nv795079gs_02.jpg

I wonder who fooled the green boys. :LOL:

Maybe he saw this NV slide, it says 80nm.

060814_nv795079gs_02.jpg

I wonder who fooled the green boys. :LOL:

If they thought on 80nm, then it's good, i think.
Always assume the worst case scenario, so you won't be (too) surprised later.

Either way, until ATI say's so, R580+ could be 80nm or 90nm, it really doesn't matter that much.
So far, most preformance changes are related to GDDR4 speed increases.

Well seems like this card will be the thing to get while the R6XX and G8X are still not out. I think I will wait for the new gen and price drop since I can't care less about Vista and DX10. I will be moving to Linux when that happens.

One thing I don't understand is why the G71 are selling so well for single card customers, is nVidia marketing so good?

More like ATi marketing is so poor. I've always wondered how Nvidia's products manage to enjoy such high ASP's in comparison to their equal or superior ATi counterparts.

More like ATi marketing is so poor. I've always wondered how Nvidia's products manage to enjoy such high ASP's in comparison to their equal or superior ATi counterparts.

Huh? Nvidia is basically ATi's equal or superior at every price range.

There's a little image qaulity issue but most people dont care very much about that, since it's not something a layperson would even notice.

7900GTX is pretty comparable to a X1900/50 XTX. Same in SLI configs.

In most catagories NV arguably has the lead. 7900GT beats a X1900GT most of the time, especially when vendor overclocked as most NV cards sold are.

And to me where ATI really messed up, is they have nothing even CLOSE to the 7600 GT at $130 now. I mean they're not even trying to compete at that segment any more. Which is probably the most popular segment too boot. X1800 GTO was I guess the competition, but ATI's architecture missteps are such that the die size is huge for that part, including a 256 bit bus, so it cant compete on price, or even performance anyway, 7600GT is faster most of the time.

ATI has some nice new parts that put the perfomance pressure on NV in the 199-299 segments (again lacking the crucial $130 part though), but guess what, the 7950GT and GS will counter or exceed those in a couple weeks. All the while NV has the advantage of so much smaller die sizes the profit differences aren't even close.

And as well, NV cards use less power, which is probably easily as or more important to the average user than the small IQ issues that favor ATI. Electric bills aren't cheap these days, besides heat etc issues.

And I haven't touched on the 7950GX2, which like the 7600GT ATI doesn't have any real answer to at all.

Nope..not seeing any equal or superior ATI parts selling at lower ASP's here..by and large..

I will agree NV is generally more popular though, but if ATI was generally significantly faster, which they aren't, people would throw their NV preferences out the window. And with double size dies, there's not much excuse for ATI not being a hell of a lot faster than NV. But they simply aren't.

Too me marketing is usually one of the most overrated factors in business success. I've never seen an Nvidia commercial. The only IHV marketing I can think of at all right now is ATI's ever present Ruby chick. That's it. Cant think of any NV marketing at all. Dont even know what this marketing is..is it banner ads? Dont recall seeing any banner ads for ATI/NV either.
________
Sunset Boulevard Residence

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope..not seeing any equal or superior ATI parts selling at lower ASP's here..by and large..

The 7900GTX is averaging $450+, the X1900XT is averaging < $400. (Sourced from pricewatch.com)

Too me marketing is usually one of the most overrated factors in business success. I've never seen an Nvidia commercial. The only IHV marketing I can think of at all right now is ATI's ever present Ruby chick. That's it. Cant think of any NV marketing at all. Dont even know what this marketing is..is it banner ads? Dont recall seeing any banner ads for ATI/NV either.

If you think marketing = TV commercial when it comes to 3D hardware I must say you're not really in a position to comment on it. Nvidia is everywhere in the gaming community - magazines, games, competitions, trade shows. They do everything bigger and better. It's not about ad banners - it's about presence in the community(not a reference to shilling :smile: ) and selling the advantages of your products and technology. Have you visited SLIZone or Nzone ? Have you seen the ATi counterpart? It's a joke.

I will agree NV is generally more popular though, but if ATI was generally significantly faster, which they aren't, people would throw their NV preferences out the window. And with double size dies, there's not much excuse for ATI not being a hell of a lot faster than NV. But they simply aren't.

You are being contridictor in these two paragraphs, without nV's marketing machine nV wouldn't be more popular.

Keep in mind it took 2 years for ATi to make a dent with the fx fiasco, marketing had a lot to do with that, what really got nV was ATi's marketing with Valve, that hurt big time, a game that wasn't released for another year and half? Marketing is huge for business, its not just TV ads, as Triny is saying nV cater's to thier consumer much better then ATi does.

Back