Lost Finale

Mummy

Regular
Lost Finale - Ownage

Just finished watching last two episodes, well wow... pretty cool...
at end, at least some parts of it finally make sense, even though there are still many questions left open...

Lost is just one of the best tv serie i've seen so far.. what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't quite get how the girlfriend/ex-fiance was involved in the Dharma project.

Was she involved in it? If not, why was she looking for this electromagnetic anamoly?

I'm guessing Locke and Eco aren't necessarily gone (or even Desmond). I'm also sure we'll see more of Michael and Walt.

RussSchultz said:
I didn't quite get how the girlfriend/ex-fiance was involved in the Dharma project.

Was she involved in it? If not, why was she looking for this electromagnetic anamoly?

I'm guessing Locke and Eco aren't necessarily gone (or even Desmond). I'm also sure we'll see more of Michael and Walt.
****Theories and Spoilers****

HIGHLIGHT
Her dad is probably associated with Alvar Hanso, head of the Dharma Initiative. Or maybe the man she married had access. She probably picked up a few details of the project, like it's existance and purpose, but didn't have enough to find out more. I also have a feeling her dad is somehow behind getting Desmond to race and made it so he got stuck on the island.

She said with money you can find anyone so she probably funded some university research project under the guise of an EM research with a benefit of getting the first call. She's now probably going to send in the A-Team to find Desmond.

RussSchultz said:
Dunno, Desmond seemed acting like he knows hes gonna die in a few moments. Hope Locke`s still alive tough.

Anyone actually buying that "magnetfield ripping a plane in half"-stuff though? Does seem stupid to me, if that were the case everyone carrying a watch wouldve lost his hand for sure. I mean the the fiction-level of Lost appears to be lower than X-Men, no flying people and no Magneto.

Npl said:
Dunno, Desmond seemed acting like he knows hes gonna die in a few moments. Hope Locke`s still alive tough.

Anyone actually buying that "magnetfield ripping a plane in half"-stuff though? Does seem stupid to me, if that were the case everyone carrying a watch wouldve lost his hand for sure. I mean the the fiction-level of Lost appears to be lower than X-Men, no flying people and no Magneto.
Maybe it was a powerful beam of EM that sliced through the plane, breaking it up?

EM? You mean EMP?
If I would be more knowledgeable in physics I could ground my disbelief better, but AFAIK EMP is a short, but intense impulse which kills electronics, but lacks the power to deal out more "physical" damage.
The way the planecrash was explained in the last episode was that a intense Magnetic Field did build up and at that time the plane crashed (or atleast the same day). Now if you rip apart a plane 1000s of meters above the ground you sure need a HECK of a magnetic field. I bet enough to drive any metallic thing(say handcuffs, rings and watches) through flesh&bones.

The healing effects of the island are a big question.

Enough to keep Rose/Locke healthy, possibly enough to keep Jack's dad living after alcohol poisoning (no doubt a major revelation in season 3 or 4) but not enough to save Shannon? Not enough to save the officer that was holding Kate?

Seriously though, there are about 10 major plot questions and it hurts to think about them all.

One thing that's a good sign is that Locke's story has not been completely fleshed out yet. When Shannon/Boone were killed off, we had basically known all that there was to know. Their connection to Jack, their connection to each other. We still don't know why Locke is/was handicapped, or how he became so serious about wilderness survival... the former being something that people have been waiting for since that plot thread was introduced early in season one. It's also a popular theory that Locke's father is the real "Sawyer" that James Ford was trying to track down and kill before Flight 815.

Even beyond the plot development, there are a lot of possibilities. For example, Charlie being an Other... Claire being Jack's half-sister (the reason Christian was hanging out in Australia of all places in the last Ana Lucia flashback episode) ... etc. Michael and Walt will be back, BTW. I'm pretty sure that the "Others" still need him.

Npl said:
EM? You mean EMP?
No, electromagnetism.

The way the planecrash was explained in the last episode was that a intense Magnetic Field did build up and at that time the plane crashed (or atleast the same day). Now if you rip apart a plane 1000s of meters above the ground you sure need a HECK of a magnetic field. I bet enough to drive any metallic thing(say handcuffs, rings and watches) through flesh&bones.
Assume its a beam of magnetism, rather than a blanket field.

I wouldn't expect Lost to be hard science fiction. I give a pass on somewhat bogus physics. As long as the show eventually resolves with a consistent plot in a universe of consistent rules, I have no problem with it.

RussSchultz said:
Assume its a beam of magnetism, rather than a blanket field.
Just to point out the semi-obvious ... for that to be possible there have to be mono-poles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its impossible to get rid of the plot 'questions' with an uber organization like Hanso and EM alone. There needs to be a supernatural element

Explain the 'seeing in the past' visions Locke had, or the bizarre character coincidences (like Echo and his brother), or Walts 'abilities'.

ok, is the season 2 the end. Tell me now I don't want to be exposed to spoilers by reading this thread longer than needed!"!!!

rabidrabbit said:
ok, is the season 2 the end. Tell me now I don't want to be exposed to spoilers by reading this thread longer than needed!"!!!

The writers are geared up for 6 seasons if need be. There will be a season 3, you can be sure about that.

I was going to open a new thread on the real Lost finale, but this one was already here so why not just post on here...

So, Lost finally ended. Any thoughts? Personally i friggin loved it.

Just to recap ...

The valenzettie equation didn't matter. The button didn't matter. Dharma didn't matter. Basically the entirety of the plot was thought up during the last 2 seasons, everything else was LOL randum ... nice storytelling.

The climax of the plot was deus ex machina (Jack making a wild guess and getting lucky). Then they wrapped everything up with a happily ever after in the after life (and of course half a season of filler where the dead people can learn moral lessons so they can stop being the assholes they all were, well except all the others besides ben ... they can all stay assholes and stay on the island as whispers I guess, strange only ben was worth saving ... whatever).

I like happy endings as much as the next guy, but pulling in religion in the last minute so you can make the happy ending happy for everyone ... gag.

Just to recap ...

The valenzettie equation didn't matter. The button didn't matter. Dharma didn't matter. Basically the entirety of the plot was thought up during the last 2 seasons, everything else was LOL randum ... nice storytelling.

Of course they mattered. How else would they drag this on for 6 seasons???:LOL:
No really, i think everything had its purpose and of course there were a lot of fillers in the last 6 years, but that's true about every single TV show out there - some that dragged on for a lot longer than 6 seasons!
Well, i 'got it' and loved it.

Back