X-Men 3

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen a high-profile movie before it has been rated in IMDB - didn't realize that it was actually a world premiere today.

So just to use this opportunity to brag: It was goooood.

Unfortunately, I heard that there is something extra after the end credits but I missed it (had to leave pronto). If someone goes to see it, I wouldn't mind hearing what it was...

What was so good about it? How does it compare to the first 2? How did the balance the comic/realism balance, and how does the story, acting, and character progression feel compared to the other movies?

It just felt right. I didn't like the first one that much, it felt like an introduction that it actually was. X2 was great in a similar way as this one - the action is more intense, and the superpowers really are superpowers (almost too much in the third, actually, but they rule on big screen - if I saw this one from a small tv for the first time, I might not be that impressed).

Character development - well, there's not much of it really... Storm gets more room this time, but the scenes are centered at the usual suspects. Wolverine still pretty much leads the action. A good thing is that some key characters are played out unexpectedly so that the others get a little more screen time.

I'm almost a total stranger to X comics, so I can't comment on that, but these movies are my favorites in the superhero genre.

One additional thing: When the movie was starting, I realized I had managed to not see a single trailer or other advertizing beforehand, without even trying; I think the movie's effect on me got a boost from that fact. This is something I want to exercise more. Trailers just suck nowadays, giving all the one-liners and biggest kabooms out too soon while still being predictable and boring (please, don't always hire that same deep-voiced dork for saying 'This Summer, an adventure begins' and other equally stupid crap). The same thing happened to me with the first Matrix, I knew nothing about it beforehand - and boy, did it hit me in the head back then...

Ok, I am going to post some possible spoilers...

What did you think about Rogue's decision?

And Cyclops.....whoa.

And the last 30 seconds after the credits helps us verify that X-Men 3 may not be the last movie in the series.

Sonic said:

And Cyclops.....whoa.

I think script writers already have their finger on reset button for both of these, if they are doing a fourth movie... At least for Rogue, if you extrapolate from the last scene before the end credits.

Blitzkrieg said:
Good to hear it is good, do they still have major characters like Gambit missing tho?

There were some new characters introduced, but mainly for boosting the action sequences, they don't have much dialog lines. Except for one brilliantly-cast star, who couldn't have been left without dialog...

The amount of characters is already at the upper limit for a 100-minute movie, I think.

there is a next x-men movie for sure..... magneto did move the iron chess piece at the end.

but x-men with out xavier, jean, scot.... how weird

dskneo said:
I don't know what you're talking about since I haven't seen the movie yet, but that was quite a common occurence in the comic book and actually some of the better arcs for it. (IMHO and all that)

dskneo said:
but x-men with out xav.....
I guess you missed the little "hint" at the end of the movie after the credits.....

Really good action movie BTW...I wasn't expecting it to be this cool...

Last edited by a moderator:
dskneo said:
there is a next x-men movie for sure..... magneto did move the iron chess piece at the end.

wait wait wait... of all the people they could have gotten rid of, Storm is still around? :|

John Reynolds said:
Who says Xavier is out? Someone didn't sit through the credits. :p
god dammit johny.... i wont pay again just to see the ending! speak already! lol what was there?

Sonic said:
Ok, I am going to post some possible spoilers...

Well, given Magneto at the end, I get the feeling the "cure" isn't permanent, just like the boy's powers :) So maybe she'll get a little nookie and then whoops!

As for me, I would have liked the movie sooo much more if during that scene where Mystique got shot, she didn't react much, but instead stood there and said, "What? What?"

dskneo said:
god dammit johny.... i wont pay again just to see the ending! speak already! lol what was there?

SPOILER!

SPOILER

Don't say I didn't warn you!

AFAICR (it's only about 15 seconds long) :

Credits cut to the same view of the hospital room as we saw in Xavier's ethics lesson. The man with no higher brain function is on life support. We can't see his face properly because of his respirator and other equipment around the head of the bed.

Camera cuts to right side of the bed, looking over the mans face in the foreground (which we still can't see properly), up towards the equipment on the left side of the bed, and the wall on that side of the room.

Dr Moira MaTaggert walks to the left side of the bed and starts checking against her clipboard.

The man's head turns slightly toward the doctor, and weakly says "Moira...." in what is unmistakably Xavier's voice.

Dr MacTaggert looks at the man stunned and aghast, and says "Charles...?".

Scene cuts to black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back