Intel: Conroe in July

JustPassingBy said:
Does this include the extreme edition? Or will that follow later(and if so, how later)?
The XE comes first, then the lower priced models thereafer according to xbitlabs.

The launch of the desktop Conroe processors may happen in July, but the date hasn’t been selected yet, and the possibilities vary between the first and third weeks of July. As always, the first independent benchmarks will be conducted with the Conroe XE processors, and the more affordable models will start shipping later. By the way, this is where the frequency potential of the upcoming top-of-the-line Conroe processors gains more importance and actuality. Some sources claim that the currently emerging Conroe samples feature A1 core revision, while by the launch day they may acquire B0 core stepping.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060428155928.html

I'm looking forward to this processor (and im an AMD guy). According to members with engineering samples at XtremeSystems forums, it can hit 4Ghz on air. Not to mention at 2.66Ghz it clobbers FX60 @ 3.4Ghz. Just imagine it at a modest 3.3-3.5ghz clockspeed. Then SSE4 instructions being put into applications later.

$300 too for that model. AMD will eventually come with a competiting product (when they hit 65nm, and probably not until they get a new architecture), but for anyone needing an upgrade rather quickly, the Conroe is the answer. I'm looking to buy a new base setup around September this year. And I dont believe AMD's solution Q1'07 will fully compete. (It's not a new architecture). This would be my first Intel chip, besides a P1 33Mhz. Intel is coming hard now that AMD has been beating them with a stick. Low prices are good for all. :smile:

Rur0ni said:
but for anyone needing an upgrade rather quickly, the Conroe is the answer. I'm looking to buy a new base setup around September this year.
Now I don't think that's true. The cost of the CPU alone isn't the full cost of an upgrade if you're going to Conroe: you also have to factor in the new motherboard, and potentially memory.

Rur0ni said:
The XE comes first, then the lower priced models thereafer according to xbitlabs.

I'm looking forward to this processor (and im an AMD guy). According to members with engineering samples at XtremeSystems forums, it can hit 4Ghz on air. Not to mention at 2.66Ghz it clobbers FX60 @ 3.4Ghz. Just imagine it at a modest 3.3-3.5ghz clockspeed. Then SSE4 instructions being put into applications later.

$300 too for that model. AMD will eventually come with a competiting product (when they hit 65nm, and probably not until they get a new architecture), but for anyone needing an upgrade rather quickly, the Conroe is the answer. I'm looking to buy a new base setup around September this year. And I dont believe AMD's solution Q1'07 will fully compete. (It's not a new architecture). This would be my first Intel chip, besides a P1 33Mhz. Intel is coming hard now that AMD has been beating them with a stick. Low prices are good for all. :smile:

I would take the seemingly "common" 4gig OC comments with severe skepticism. ES chips are usually fully unlocked and easily overclockable so the tester can run the chip at many speeds, they dont represent retail products. And there is no 2.66 or one near those speeds at stock for $300. Processors are as follows.

E6700 $529, 2.67GHz 4MB shared Cache 1066FSB
E6600 $315, 2.40GHz .....^
E6400 $240, 2.13GHz 2MB shared Cache 1066FSB
E6300 $210, 1.86GHz .....^

And the key disadvantage intel has, and will have when conroe launches, is the lack of an upgradable processor roadmap. Like the current 939, AM2 940 will be something that AMD will be using for quite awhile. Motherboards arent really expensive but they cant exactly be replaced trouble free on the fly either. In intels case, if they release improvements or new chips, say quad core in a year, or improvements to the chip architecture itself with a new FSB, the chances are very good you'll need a new motherboard (even if you dont really like 925X vs 925XE). Where as an AMD user will get much more out of AM2. I'm no preacher of AMD hardware, Intel makes good products, and i continue to suggest them for those that ask, and i too will problably be buying a conroe based system in the fall to replace this X2, but that is a fact of how each companies operate. Avid upgraders who want to put all their eggs in one basket will problably be better off seeking a home in AM2.

Last edited by a moderator:
SugarCoat said:
And the key disadvantage intel has, and will have when conroe launches, is the lack of an upgradable processor roadmap. Like the current 939, AM2 940 will be something that AMD will be using for quite awhile.

yes, for people like me on a slow upgrade cycle (or actually not that slow, but late), still on socket A or 478, I like the upgrade route of socket Am2. my next major upgrade will probably be a sempron on that new socket. and maybe, much later a dual core 65nm K8L.

I guess I'd go with geforce 6100/6150 or equivalent motherboard then, DDR2's added bandwith should be useful for integrated graphics, and it would ease financially the transition from AGP to PCIe, maybe roughly on par with my geforce 4 or better, and with SM 3.0 and at last 4x RGMS for my games.

this is my perspective of a guy without a lot of money, whereas on forums and particularly this one it's pretty much always about the high end.. sempron are the highest bang for the buck now, a 1.6ghz 256K one at 75 euros that clocks at 2.4ghz, that's great.
and with two 512MB half-decent DDR2 800 sticks, I'd get 12.8GB/s bandwith. which you'd get with Intel if they had a 1600FSB. that would allow decent integrated graphics! (and nice upgrade path to geforce 8600GT and such)

/edit: but GPU bandwith should be limited by hypertransport. anyway, we'll see. integrated geforce 6 could be nice on intel too, but that's not planned?

Last edited by a moderator:
well whnever my fx60 is stumbling in games, i'll go for the next fastest rig on the block i guess. after vista/dx10 and all that is sorted.

i think i'll probably get some bang from my dual 64bit cores by then. at least i hope i don't end up CPU bound before that happens.

then i'd know there was a conspiracy! everyone's against me.

Rur0ni said:

I too am an AMD guy who's planning to go Conroe later this year. However that 2.66Ghz Conroe clobbering a 3.4Ghz FX60 seems a little extreme. I've seen the benchmarks where it clobbers a 2.8Ghz FX60 but a 3.4Ghz clockspeed I would limagine would close that gap - especially on Skt AM2.

I could be wrong of course (in fact considering im getting one, I want to be wrong!). Do you have source for the info?

As soon as I can find an application I use that benefits from a faster processor than the P-M and Sempron I have now, I'll think about buying a faster one.

I couldn't wait until Conroe or AM2 was out and replaced my P4 northwood last month with a simple 3800+ X2. I bet I'm not the only one buying into S939 at the moment either, for 2 reasons:

1. I don't believe Conroe systems will get here (Europe) until at least September in serious quantities for prices to compete with A64 X2s.
2. Buying 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM is still EXPENSIVE. Certainly in contrast to 2GB of DDR-400 RAM. That will change when both Conroe and AM2 need it, but that will also take until the Autumn.

So I'm enjoying my nice stable x64 XP install and playing with my VMWare x64 guests without real regrets just yet. The only thing I'll probably regret is not having Intel VT in a good dual core x64 CPU, but since I've yet to see any Conroe x64 benchmarks I still don't know whether it would be good enough on that score.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to the x64 performance of Conroe?

skazz said:
The only thing I'll probably regret is not having Intel VT in a good dual core x64 CPU, but since I've yet to see any Conroe x64 benchmarks I still don't know whether it would be good enough on that score.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to the x64 performance of Conroe?
Noone says how fast is Conroe under x64, probably not slower :)
As for VT - right now K8 offers everything you need under Vmware, pacifica&VT will add some speed enhancements...

Back