Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

ok, that's weediculous. if ninty actually keep that name i'll place them in my MS bin. not because i won't enjoy the console but becasue it takes marketting stupidity of MS proportions to come up with something as dumb as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revolution was excellent and was,somewhat,appropriate for the console.

This "wii" is the worst name for a console ever,IMO,it's almost offensive.

To remedy this, I think all Nintendo need to do is change the pronunciation from 'We' to 'Why' or 'Whyee'. Okay, that's still pretty rubbish, but they get to keep they i filled logo and the symbolism of the i's seems important to them. The meaning of 'we' as in 'us' could be lost as it's not international.

wii.jpg

ad2a879a44ba234d3515f452dbd06f27.gif

Fredi

Last edited by a moderator:
anything from Revolution, Rev, Revo, RS, N5, Go, or even i-i, would have been better.

I even like The Nintendo Magic Stick better. I'm confused with Nintendo.

Kaplan said the criticism was not unexpected, given Wii's uniqueness.

"I think people have to look back and let it settle in," she said. "I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named – or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

The Wii will make its public debut a little less than two weeks from now at E3 (the Electronic Entertainment Expo), the annual trade show of the video game industry. At that same show, Sony (Research) will unveil more details about the PlayStation 3 and Microsoft (Research) will talk about its future plans for the Xbox 360.

So why announce the name now and not at the show?

By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it's like to play the games begin to come in.

Also, said Kaplan, "We want people to understand our approach before we get to E3. [Also], it's really noisy at E3 and I don't think we would have had the chance to explain how we came to the name."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/commentary/game_over/nintendo/index.htm

:(

Fredi

They announced the name now to give gamers time to get over it so they can focus on the system and games at E3. Seriously. NoA must have begged to be allowed to do that.

Also, said Kaplan, "We want people to understand our approach before we get to E3. [Also], it's really noisy at E3 and I don't think we would have had the chance to explain how we came to the name."

edit - beaten

Reuters...

A key feature of the Wii is its one-handed controller... that allow players to control the [Wii] by wielding it like a sword, waving it like a conductor's baton, or swinging it like a baseball bat.

It seems they don't really understand why the name Wii is stupid. Comparing it to google, iPod, and Napster seems to make that apparent. Wii is a single syllable sound thats used in a lot of langauges for various things... don't they tell you in marketing school (or whereever these clowns got educated) that single syllable names are generally dangerous?

I think they'd struggle to find any unintentional meanings behind Google, or iPod (maybe Napster, but that was named by some college kid, iirc).

I'm amazed.

I'm sorry but i just do not understand Nintendo. Do they really think that bad publicity is still publicity and this will help them sell more? If it works, they're geniuses.

Now all teenagers in the english-speaking world will make fun of this name, making jokes about "going to play with their wii"... I expect Golden Shower jokes to spring up every second for the next 5 years...

As i said, if this works, and they get so sell a lot with this name with all jokes attached to it, they really are geniuses.

Exactly. The name isn't that important as long as it doesn't mean anything adverse. Calling it the Nintendo Glollick would be stupid, but not bad.

What is extra daft is they knowingly named it something that was going to be problemativ, and then announce the name early to get over the initial embarrassment. If you knew people were going to have a problem with the name, why choose that name?

I kinda agree with london-boy except that they'd be called Giiniuses.
But seriously, what would be a good name for Nindy's new toy ? Revo, Wand, Chopstick ? :)

MrWibble said:
"Wii". Pronounced "we". Which is much the same as "wee".

Someone did remember to tell Nintendo that "wee" is a marginally more polite way of saying "piss" in the UK, right?

OMG, I almost fell of the chair while reading this! :LOL:

Cheers Phil

Don't they have english speaking people at Nintendo?

Hey, we're laughing at this, but for all we know, Xbox might mean ass in Japanese. Might explain why it sold so little, not many japanese gamers would want to tell their friends they're playing with their ass instead of playstation...

Back