Revolution is officially called...*drumroll*

All of this is effectively the E3-period, yipchunyu. We're seeing news and announcements all over the place.

This was in the press release Nintendo sent out. Nothing really new, but thought some my like to read it:

The Cool Look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it's displayed vertically or horizontally.

Backward Compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCubeâ„¢ generation. But there's more...

The Secret Weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES).

Easy Expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

Two Disc Formats, One Slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The Specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Wii's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The Stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless Freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of Design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

As for other connotations, "ii" apparently means "good" in Japan.

MightyHedgehog said:
At least, there's a new derogatory term for N-bots: Wiiners.

Oh god :LOL: Some people will delight in this.

Oh sure, the name is great for Japan - but why put this out in the UK release? They need to pull a NES vs Famicom thing here, and rebadge it for foreign territories.

xbdestroya said:
I mean, did Nintendo corporate run this by Nintendo of America (or any other English-speaking execs) before giving the go-ahead? Because this is crazy. Revolution is so much better.
Well, anything else would have been better, it seems that they wanted to go with a simple, yet invented, word (Marketing honchos love these in France). But it seems that the name wasn't created by an Anglophone person.

Well, at least in French it doesn't sound as awkward as it does in English. Wii/Oui stands for yes, so...

Although it will ultimately not have much of an effect on my ultimate decision whether to purchase one, hearing the name makes me want one a lot less than I did when I saw the controller...

Someone, somewhere, was probably paid an awful lot of money to come up with that.

Rys said:

My thoughts exactly. Speaking as a Brit, it's the most stupid fucking name I have ever heard.

Gholbine said:
Still, it's just a name.

In all seriousness, it's a nail as far as the UK market is concerned. I don't think many kids are going to want wee for Christmas. Wee is so synonymous with urine here that it will be pretty much impossible for any Brit to view any pertinent marketing with a straight face. The official page is hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol--yeah this one is going to go into the HBS stupid name case study for sure. Someone at Ninty deserves a golden shower for this one.

MrWibble said:
Although it will ultimately not have much of an effect on my ultimate decision whether to purchase one, hearing the name makes me want one a lot less than I did when I saw the controller...

Someone, somewhere, was probably paid an awful lot of money to come up with that.

Oh sure, I'm still getting one - but then again I'm a full grown adult confident in his masculinity. If Nintendo wanted to bring the impressionable teenage demographic back into their fold and shake the 'kiddy' imagery, this was not a good first step towards accomplishing that.

erm... I just don't think that's a good name for a console system. they can come up with something more marketable than that...

I don't think it'll last as a name. Like those many other brands that got renamed for international territories, car names and cleaning products and the like. The marketting chumps that came up with this should be sacked too. Monosyllabic names are asking for trouble somewhere in the world.

The UK contingent at Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for letting this pass. I really wouldnt' be surprised if it's rebranded here - the backlash will be ridiculous.

What's that under the television? It's my Wii.

I can see the size issue for Nintendo suddenly working to it's disadvantage. ;)

"What a small Wii!"

Back