How will next generation power affect gameplay?

g35er

Newcomer
As with almost every new hardware generation, the focus has mostly been in better looking visuals. But how will the extra horsepower of the next generation affect actual gameplay? What can be done in the next generation that could not have been done in the current gen? A couple of ideas:

1. HUD-less systems. With Fight Night 3 360, the graphics have the clarity to show enough body and facial cues of the opponent's condition that the hud isn't needed. The devs claimed PS2/Xbox couldn't handle this.
2. More advanced physics. The next generation is suppose to be capable of calculating more advanced floating point intensive physics which can directly affect gameplay, such as dodging debris, etc. Supposedly, the current gen doesn't have the power to handle more advanced physics w/o significantly impacting framerate.
3. More realistic use of light to support better stealth gameplay. Hiding in shadows and camoflauging can be a real part of the game. Can the current generation do this?

g35er said:
3. More realistic use of light to support better stealth gameplay. Hiding in shadows and camoflauging can be a real part of the game. Can the current generation do this?

Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid 3.

I think it's going to simply be another generation of feature creep. Nothing terribly new, but a further refinement of what's already being done.

Maybe it's just me, but asking developers to make games to take advantage of hardware is a rather cruel and backwards thing to do. Graphics is the main exception here. I can understand asking the developer to come up with at least passing graphical quality for the host platform. But gameplay? That seems to miss the point.

This reminds me of the interview Gamespy had with Dennis Dyack recently. He was saying that games are going to stop being classified by the gameplay type and start being classified by their content type. For instance, Halo 3 would be sci-fi instead of an FPS. I think this is more the direction we should be looking than thinking about what we can do with power.

I mean, I've heard "we couldn't even think about doing this 2 years ago" for a LONG time, but it's not like gaming is far and away better than it was 10 years ago.

ninzel said:
I think it's going to simply be another generation of feature creep. Nothing terribly new, but a further refinement of what's already being done.

Well we haven't really had any real big changes in gameplay since the switch from 2d to 3d, but but hopefully, the extra horsepower isn't just about better graphics and the same gameplay. Too optimistic? If you play the same game, and only have better presentation (graphics and sound), then you'll quickly realize it's just surface changes and you'll wise up--"hey, it's just the same game in a prettier package." Quite frankly, as good as FN3 360 looks, I could probably live with FN3 Xbox/PS2 if it was only a difference of graphics.

Well for starters more power means more immersion without things popping up from LOD. Sharper visurals to see things clearer like ledges. Better A.i.. Larger levels could help loading screen for breaking the flow. More memory for more and better animations.

More power can always be good (new features,better AI, physics...), as long as it does not limit the game it seems that this next gen (at least at the begining) will be more the second than the first.

Better graphics and higher resolutions bring better visibility in racing and shooting games. Also the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter developers claimed they're able to make more use of smoke grenades to affect gameplay and show video of a teammate's perspective in the Cross com. Both of these are a drain on rendering horsepower. These examples go along with ninzel's evolutionary comment.

I have an Xbox 360, but not an Xbox so some of these things might not be new to others, but Xbox live has a big affect on my enjoyment of games and it's not just the online play. This is complementary to good gameplay. I love how I can check my friend's status at any time during a game and how leaderboards are shown after each race in PGR3. Expanding the "high score" list off of my system and onto the internet gives me something to strive for which keeps me playing.

I mean, I've heard "we couldn't even think about doing this 2 years ago" for a LONG time, but it's not like gaming is far and away better than it was 10 years ago.

Boot up a first gen PS1 title or even a Dreamcast title and all of a sudden you realise how far things have come since then, I found them amlost unplayable. You don't really notice how refined most titles are until to jump back a few years and realise the diffrence.

Back