NVIDIA Q4 & FY Results Thread

Some more chicken-bone stirring here, perhaps?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_quad_sli/page3.asp

Instead you should expect the first Quad SLI cards to ship with upcoming GeForce GPUs that haven’t been announced yet.

and

You see, while NVIDIA’s board partners will be selling Quad SLI cards to the retail and e-tail markets, they’ve warned us that they expect that many of their Quad SLI cards will go into system builders PCs, especially at first.

Can I just declare sig-victory for my wild-eyed flyer now and move on to something else? :LOL:

geo said:
Can I just declare sig-victory for my wild-eyed flyer now and move on to something else? :LOL:

Yeah, I think that is as close to "confirmed" that you'll see for a while. I'm confused by this whole quad-SLI thing though. Why the jump from dual-board straight to dual-boards-with-dual-chips. Isn't there a single-board-with-dual-chips stepping stone somewhere in there?

From the above article:

FS said:
We only need to make two assumptions. Any acquisition deal must:

1. Be beneficial to NVIDIA.
2. Be beneficial to the company being acquired.

Point 1: No kiddin'.
Point 2: Say what? From who's perspective...?

stevem said:
Point 1: No kiddin'.
Point 2: Say what? From who's perspective...?

It is easier (cheaper) to buy a company if it would like to buy from you. In some cases it is even impossible to buy a company if it doesn’t want this.

Demirug said:
It is easier (cheaper) to buy a company if it would like to buy from you. In some cases it is even impossible to buy a company if it doesn’t want this.

Since Matrox is not a publicly traded company, it is completely impossible to buy it out if it doesn't want to be bought. Buying out a company isn't a "takeover" as depicted in some movies - it is usually mutually beneficial (to upper management at least, the peons at the acquired firm often get the shaft).

I doubt you will have to buy an entire system to get your Quad SLi because I doubt Asus will just sit there with their hands down the front of their pants whilst that happens.

They are going to be champing at the bit. Gigabyte will be likewise and all the little fish will not want to be behind as well because they are the "me to and better" folk.

Mariner said:
I wonder what the actual number of these boards actually used in SLI is? Have there been any polls at sites such as NVNews which give some kind of indication of the ratio of SLI capable boards used in SLI to those used as single cards? Personally, I'd still be surprised if more than a couple of hundred thousand* of those 9 million SLI-capable chips were actually used in an SLI system.[/SIZE]
I used to run these polls every six months, and my successor has continued the trend. You'll have to register to see them, but I'll summarise the latest one. For SLI-capable parts, there's an 8:1 ratio against using them in SLI. For CF, it's 17:1. I'd guess multi-card penetration is much higher than average amongst denizens of a hardware forum too.
trinibwoy said:
Why the jump from dual-board straight to dual-boards-with-dual-chips. Isn't there a single-board-with-dual-chips stepping stone somewhere in there?
Asus and Gigabyte do the dual-chip-board thing, but there's very little point to it with SLI there. The next step has to be better than SLI, and it's either through dual-chip boards in SLI or through quad-SLI.

Demirug said:
The point of my comment was the puerile absolute that acquisition is necessarily a positive outcome for the firm being acquired.
triniboy said:
...it is usually mutually beneficial (to upper management at least, the peons at the acquired firm often get the shaft).
That's listing only two of the stakeholders. Corporate, stockholder (where appropriate), employee, fiduciary, regulator, government and consumer interests do not always intersect...

geo said:

you changed your sig so often, you'd probably pay nV to produce a board like that if it wasn't out by may...

neliz said:
you changed your sig so often, you'd probably pay nV to produce a board like that if it wasn't out by may...

I did not! :LOL: All I added was "or cores", and have been using it since October after the ring-bus sig was old hat from R520 announcement.

geo said:
I did not! :LOL: All I added was "or cores", and have been using it since October after the ring-bus sig was old hat from R520 announcement.

Would you be dissapointed if a card like that still loses to the 1900xt in FEAR?

neliz said:
Would you be dissapointed if a card like that still loses to the 1900xt in FEAR?

I would think hardcore FEAR players would be, anyways! Personally, with a new x1800xlaiw riding my pcie slot, I don't expect to be looking for a new card until NV50/G80/R600.

As a community enthusiast, I'd certainly be disappointed if such a dual-gpu card lost to X1900xt across a broad range of current games --but I'm not expecting that either.

Back