Xbox 360 controller D-pad that bad?

rabidrabbit said:
Did any xbox games really use the pressure sensitivity function of the face buttons? (I didn't know they were pressure sensitive, I thought only DS2 had them).
The shoulder triggers are still pressure sensitive, right?

Personally, I can't live with a D-pad that is not precise. As I use it primarily for selecting in the menus, it must have exact NESW directions.
The old Logitech wireless I had fro PS2 I gave away because games like Final Fantasy X, Dark Chronicle, SSX... where the D-pad is either extensively used for navigating menus or setting up moves during gameplay, were unplayable to the point of frustration.
I don't like to use the analog sticks for menu navigation because they are slower.
I think DOAXBV

By far the crappiest D-Pad I've ever used. Not that it matters, since you rarely need to use it. I can't imagine playing a fighting game on the Xbox 360, that would be pretty annoying IMO.

Gholbine said:
By far the crappiest D-Pad I've ever used. Not that it matters, since you rarely need to use it. I can't imagine playing a fighting game on the Xbox 360, that would be pretty annoying IMO.
i don't know why they don't jus let you use the thumbstick for fighting games as well, joysticks work fine in arcades.

it's a crappy d-pad, but the thumbstick is better for pretty much anything anyways, even for menu's in the dashboard the thumbstick is faster and easier to use to browse menu's, so you rarely ever use the d-pad.

Gholbine said:
What really bugs me is that you must use the D-Pad to browse menus in the FFXI beta. It's painful.
no doubt. that whole demo is a perfect example of why devs should not be in charge of their own online interfaces. What a terrible piece of software, complete crap, everything from the navigation to the sign-in process is terrible. And forcing you to use the d-pad just tops it all off.

Not precise enough and too slow. Most serious fighter enthusiasts use digital arcade sticks (japanese style with a square base). If you play a game like Virtua Fighter, you'll understand why.

scooby_dooby said:
i don't know why they don't jus let you use the thumbstick for fighting games as well, joysticks work fine in arcades.

just depends on the moves really, some moves would be much easier on the thumbstick, some on the d-pad.

anything where you have to do semi-circles, or 360's will be easier with the joystick, anything where you have to do double-taps would be faster on the d-pad.

i dunno, joystick worked fine for street fighter :D

Controller

AlphaWolf said:
nothing wrong with it as far as I am concerned, I like it better than the ps2 one, but everyone has their own preferences I've certainly experienced no problems like in that thread with either of mine.

I do not like original Xbox controller, is very very silly design (for many buyers), but Xbox360 controller is best for me, better than PS2 and GameCube.

I actually have an issue with my right analog stick, where if I push it to the right and then stop, it'll often keep on registering like I'm still pushing right really slowly. It hasn't really been a big deal until lately, when I got into the later levels in Marble blast where I have to move the camera around a lot, and it keeps taking the liberty of rotating right as I'm in the middle of whatever craziness I'm trying to do.

i have that problem with my left analog on the original x-box. made getting golds in the flying school in san andreas a real pain.

Doubt it. It's too slow because there's too much travel and the accuracy is an issue because it's analog. Especially in situations where you have to buffer the more complex moves to successfully pull them off, you would not have time to switch positions from the d-pad to the stick.

There's no comparison between an analog thumbstick on a gamepad and a digital arcade stick.

scooby_dooby said:
just depends on the moves really, some moves would be much easier on the thumbstick, some on the d-pad.

anything where you have to do semi-circles, or 360's will be easier with the joystick, anything where you have to do double-taps would be faster on the d-pad.

i dunno, joystick worked fine for street fighter :D

I smell a recall (I hope). There are just to many people with the exact same problems, something needs to be done about this. This is unacceptible.

chroniceyestrain said:
I smell a recall (I hope). There are just to many people with the exact same problems, something needs to be done about this. This is unacceptible.

heh I seriously doubt there will be any recall.

It could be better. Even browsing the blades is a bit of an adventure with the D-pad.

I'm not sure what's needed for improvement though. A slight off-axis placement? More resistance?

Back