Halo 3 Ready?

Laa-Yosh said:
This is more than unlikely. Halo is their number one franchise, their BFG, their ultimate weapon, and they would have to be plain stupid to ruin it with a less then spectacular game. Common sense may not always work about the X360 and Microsoft, but they're just not that stupid...
I wouldn't be so hasty to look at it that way. Like you said, Halo is the BFG and I think they feel they may need one to combat the PS3. Halo is unusual in that it is a a game (or series) that actually lives up to the hype and performs. However, I don't think anyone feels that Halo has ever been perfect. I definitely wouldn't put it past Microsoft to use Halo in a contigency plan to thwart the PS3, timing its launch for this very purpose. Furthermore, I think Halo has the financial backing for this kind of thing that other games may not have.

I am not saying this will release a half completed game. I am saying that it may be possible that it is "finished," but it will continue to be worked on to increase its polish (probably mostly in terms of graphics) for as long as they can, but if the PS3 comes out of left field, I don't think they will hesitate to pull the trigger and launch the game. A slightliy "duller" Halo 3 than possible would be better than no Halo at all when the war begins. There is always Halo 4 for exploiting the full potential of the Xbox 360.

wireframe said:
I am saying that it may be possible that it is "finished," but it will continue to be worked on to increase its polish (probably mostly in terms of graphics) for as long as they can, but if the PS3 comes out of left field, I don't think they will hesitate to pull the trigger and launch the game.
What do you think the benefits of such a move will be to MS? How do you feel Halo will help 'combat' PS3? I can't see any way Halo 3 will help divert attention. Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing.

If the rumor is true, I would think that "waiting to launch it" would have as much to do with waiting to get more 360 hardware shipped, as it would taking some PR away from a PS3 launch.

I would think the last thing MS wants to do is launch a potential block-buster game at a time when hardware is still scarce. To maximize the impact of the game launch, they'll want plenty of 360s on shelves at the same time.

wireframe said:
I wouldn't be so hasty to look at it that way. Like you said, Halo is the BFG and I think they feel they may need one to combat the PS3. Halo is unusual in that it is a a game (or series) that actually lives up to the hype and performs. However, I don't think anyone feels that Halo has ever been perfect. I definitely wouldn't put it past Microsoft to use Halo in a contigency plan to thwart the PS3, timing its launch for this very purpose. Furthermore, I think Halo has the financial backing for this kind of thing that other games may not have.

Why would they even be complemplating launching it to counter the japanese ps3 spring launch? If anything they would plan to release it to counter the US launch which won't be until the end of the year. So this rumour makes no sense, even in the 'contingency plan' they would be aiming for a holiday 06 launch.

I think MS's best time to launch halo would be about 2-3 months after ps3 launches in the US, after the initial hype has died down, but supply is still very low, they could pull a huge marketing blitz. That would work out well if they can get GOW for fall to directly counter the PS3 launch titles.

On top of all the 'good points' ;) I think Halo 3 must also be a graphical showcase for the system (MGS4 / KZ2 killer). It's probably too early for that to happen.

<Shrug> I get emails from all over when something goes up - seemingly I appear to get something from Hexus when one of their guys so much as farts (so, obviously there's a lot of Rys related mail :p). Sometimes its discussion worthy.

Lies. I don't work nearly hard enough for all the mails to be about my stuff, regardless of my wind problem. Which you promised you'd never bring up again in polite company.

Farting aside, you're clearly confusing me with the people at HEXUS that don't spend all day playing DOA4.

Shifty Geezer said:
Hmmm, I don't think Sony will go for that... ;)

Well, it seems a no brainer to me. PS3 is going to get mammoth coverage as a new hardware including BRD player and talk of future non-gaming activities yadayada which appeals in one way or another to many different people. Halo3 is a game, an FPS which only appeals to players who like FPSs, and will only get coverage in gaming press, who'll also be all over PS3. Really, going against PS3 with Halo3 is more likely to reduce interest you'd otherwise get for Halo3. UNLESS it's the best looking game ever and visually trounces PS3, promoting the XB360 platform overall.

I think a better strategy for MS would be to hold back the big releases until after the PS3 launch noise, and then go with a stronger offensive of big-name AAA titles when interest levels out again. Maybe a glut of prime-quality games for the Christmas period where they can advertise XB360 alongside PS3 in stores with comparable quality (assuming the platforms similar in achievements) and lower price point or other competitive edge.

Are you kidding? Halo 2 got a hell of a lot of coverage on Launch day in the mainstream press.

Vysez said:
Is there a difference when it comes to Hexus articles?
Sometimes you get an article from us with some substance. But then a fart with substance is just.....

Rys said:
Lies. I don't work nearly hard enough for all the mails to be about my stuff, regardless of my wind problem. Which you promised you'd never bring up again in polite company.

<Geo checks the room>. Well, he hasn't broken that promise yet.

wireframe said:
I wouldn't be so hasty to look at it that way. Like you said, Halo is the BFG and I think they feel they may need one to combat the PS3.

But they shouldn't try to combat the PS3 while it's supply is a lot smaller than the demand for it. In the first 4-6 months, maybe even more, every PS3 will be sold, nothing can change that (unless MS sends the Master Chief to destroy Sony's factories...).

The real time to 'combat' the PS3 is when the initial demand has been satisfied, but it isn't getting mass market interest yet. That is more like summer 2007; but certainly not anywhere in 2006 when the console's release date isn't even announced yet.

Halo is worthless in Japan, so Halo3 will only serve as a distraction in US/EU. That said, I frankly don't believe it. No screen shots, no teasers? No mention at all by bungie? Straight to release? Sounds bogus, unless Halo3 is really just Halo2 with some extra missions and a new graphics pack or something.

I just don't think Bungie could have written a next-gen engine plus develop content in such a short time.

Shifty Geezer said:
Well, it seems a no brainer to me. PS3 is going to get mammoth coverage as a new hardware including BRD player and talk of future non-gaming activities yadayada which appeals in one way or another to many different people. Halo3 is a game, an FPS which only appeals to players who like FPSs, and will only get coverage in gaming press, who'll also be all over PS3. Really, going against PS3 with Halo3 is more likely to reduce interest you'd otherwise get for Halo3. UNLESS it's the best looking game ever and visually trounces PS3, promoting the XB360 platform overall.

I think a better strategy for MS would be to hold back the big releases until after the PS3 launch noise, and then go with a stronger offensive of big-name AAA titles when interest levels out again. Maybe a glut of prime-quality games for the Christmas period where they can advertise XB360 alongside PS3 in stores with comparable quality (assuming the platforms similar in achievements) and lower price point or other competitive edge.

There will be plenty of unspent dollars from empty handed console fans on ps3 launch day. Thats a market that halo3 could tap. Everytime the media does a bit on the ps3 launch there is probably going to be at least a mention of xbox360 and a halo3 announcement could certainly increase that buzz. It's not about MS hurting the ps3 launch imo, its about MS cashing in on the buzz it creates.

So, "maximum impact" is being spun into "PS3 must be imminent!"?

Wow. "There must be a pony in here somewhere!"

DemoCoder said:
I just don't think Bungie could have written a next-gen engine plus develop content in such a short time.

Not to mention that there should be a massive staffing up 1-1,5 years before the release, because they only have about two dozen artists and animators credited on Halo2, which is nowhere near sufficient for a nextgen title. Team Ninja and Guerilla are hiring like crazy with full page ads in Edge and other magazines. We haven't seen that yet, they're still looking for game designers and engineers mostly, so it seems that they're still developing technology and game design, and haven't started mass production of content yet... Also, their lead animator Nathan Walpole still has time to play WOW nowadays ;)

So IMHO a mid 2007 release is most likely.

AlphaWolf said:
There will be plenty of unspent dollars from empty handed console fans on ps3 launch day. Thats a market that halo3 could tap.

But they'll have Gears of War for that (assuming it's released around october-november).

Laa-Yosh said:
But they'll have Gears of War for that (assuming it's released around october-november).
'

Double-Whammy:

- Gears of War: right when PS3 launches, oct-nov, to get people leaning towards it...
- Halo 3: 3 months later when shelves are still bare from PS3's launch

Now you've got money in hand game buyers, can't find a PS3, and would have GOW and Halo 3 to drive sales. It may be a really good opportunity for MS to take huge wind out of sony's sales.

Back