Video of E3's Killzone production

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a video of a person using lightwave to render parts of the scene from the killzone video. I think it's safe for everyone on the net to stop calling it a "demo" now ;)

Where have you been Quincy? I thought it was quite evident that we've all moved beyond that point and have argued the far more interesting question: "Was it to spec", Is it a realistic representation of what we can expect from the game" etc.

Thanks for sharing !eVo!-X Ant UK!

Here is what Guerrilla Games have said in reply:

First, we have stated up here before that the earlier versions of the PS3 dev kits were not final specs and we could not produce real-time at the proper frame rate on them for E3.

Second, we have stated that the video was done to specs. Let me explain something about game development. There are very, very few development teams that have the time and manpower to do every single bit of the in-game movies themselves and still get the game done. We outsource all the time. One of the benefits to having standard tools in the industry like LightWave and Maya is that you can exchange actual models, textures, etc with others using the same program. That means you can provide assets and offload the work of putting them all together to someone else.

Third, we stated that this video represents what we believe is achievable on the PS3. I'll dance around my NDA restrictions just a bit to say that I've seen graphics coming together at Guerrilla that support this claim.

Fourth, if you look at the credits for KZ1 - you'll see that we used Axis before. Doesn't it make sense to use a proven vendor when you need to outsource work? Especially when under the gun to complete something for a presentation? One who is able to work with your assets and development pipeline? Just think about it...

Fifth - if I say anymore, I risk getting chewed out by my bosses - so I'm stopping here.

Sixth - "it was not in-game rendered at 5fps then sped up to 30 fps ala Heavenly Sword, like we said we did in the past, or like Phil Harrison said during and after E3. Sorry for six months of confusion, speculation, hype and hyperbole but since most people wont read this statement anyway, and the guys at EBgames, Gamestop, Frys, Best Buy and Circuit City wont tell their customers about this "clarification" it wont matter."

Seventh - Dont listen to parts 1-6 just buy the game!

:D

Disclaimer: No x360s were harmed during the making of this statement.

The game industry is as cutthroat as the music or movie biz I guess...with billions on the line I guess it should be...

Is Heavenly Sword a lie because they "rendered" the high detail close up shot of the heroine's face and spliced it into their target video because they didn't have time to do it? I would so...no.

They were under the gun just like Guerilla games. I wish I was at home right now so I could watch this video. Even if I have put my foot in my mouth I don't think a great evil has been committed nor do I think this completely invalidates the claim that the vid was produced in a similar fashion to what was done with Heavenly Sword.

Some thing that strike me is the fact that people wanted to see playable PS3 games at E3,many of the games were to early to show,after all the PS3 was farder away that the xbox 360,PGR3 was not show playable,GOW was demostrated on Nvidia hardware.

Yet PGR 3 make it to launch.

I think people were specting to much to early.

But if the game will match or be close to what was show i had no problem with that.

blakjedi said:
Seventh - Dont listen to parts 1-6 just buy the game!
I would be pleasantly surprised if the game was any good, regardless of graphics.

In fact, I was quite impressed with the graphics and art direction of the first one, but that didn't stop it from being a fairly bad game.

.Sis

Sis said:
I would be pleasantly surprised if the game was any good, regardless of graphics.

In fact, I was quite impressed with the graphics and art direction of the first one, but that didn't stop it from being a fairly bad game.

.Sis

I blame the hardware to a certain degree. There was quite a lot of stuff they wanted to do, but they couldn't do because of hardware restrictions. It did need some more polish, and that's where the developer really is to blame.

scificube said:
Is Heavenly Sword a lie because they "rendered" the high detail close up shot of the heroine's face and spliced it into their target video because they didn't have time to do it? I would so...no.

They were under the gun just like Guerilla games. I wish I was at home right now so I could watch this video. Even if I have put my foot in my mouth I don't think a great evil has been committed nor do I think this completely invalidates the claim that the vid was produced in a similar fashion to what was done with Heavenly Sword.

Take it easy. My statement is quite the contrary of the way you took it. Ninja theory first stated that HS was "5fps sped up to 30" but they are the REAL deal. Everyone else (GG and the Motorstorm folks) jumped onto bandwagon with me too type statements. HS wasnt "made to spec" - what you saw is what you will get, because those were the in-game graphics as a opposed to renders.

Now go play!

i was on the bus the other day, sitting next to two college kids,one was appearently a ebgames employee, he was telling his friend how foolish it was to buy 360 since ps3 was so much powerful than 360,how 360 was just another dreamcast,how ms was gonna recall..etc. The other one said "I did not know ms dropped the ball with 360 like that , i had an xbox and i used to play alot of halo2 on live ", ebagmes employee one said
(with his respeact may authoritayy cos' i work at ebgames attitude) when they go back to their dorms he will show him an actual gameplay of footage of a game called killzone 3and friend will realize why he should forget about halo3 and wait for ps3.The kid added that the actual game looks better than call of duty commercials on tv, he must be right (since he works at ebgames) i can't wait for ps3 hurrah for sony, die evil empire ms!!?!! :LOL:

<nu>faust said:
i was on the bus the other day, sitting next to two college kids,one was appearently a ebgames employee, he was telling his friend how foolish it was to buy 360 since ps3 was so much powerful than 360,how 360 was just another dreamcast,how ms was gonna recall..etc. The other one said "I did not know ms dropped the ball with 360 like that , i had an xbox and i used to play alot of halo2 on live ", ebagmes employee one said
(with his respeact may authoritayy cos' i work at ebgames attitude) when they go back to their dorms he will show him an actual gameplay of footage of a game called killzone 3and friend will realize why he should forget about halo3 and wait for ps3.The kid added that the actual game looks better than call of duty commercials on tv, he must be right (since he works at ebgames) i can't wait for ps3 hurrah for sony, die evil empire ms!!?!! :LOL:

This is what i told another poster here,the perseption is that the PS3 will be more powerful just like it was vs the DC,there is not torning back now,i have hear the same comments in video game stores like EBX and Gamestop,hell i had hear people say don't buy and xbox 360 as the PS3 will be able to burn movies.. :LOL:

These guys have talent. Killzone is probably the best looking FPS on the PS2.

I'm sure that whatever they come up with on PS3 will be at least as good as the best looking 360 games we've seen so far.

blakjedi said:
Take it easy. My statement is quite the contrary of the way you took it. Ninja theory first stated that HS was "5fps sped up to 30" but they are the REAL deal. Everyone else (GG and the Motorstorm folks) jumped onto bandwagon with me too type statements. HS wasnt "made to spec" - what you saw is what you will get, because those were the in-game graphics as a opposed to renders.

Now go play!
The 5fps comment from DeanoC was about the massive out door army scene because they kept pilling until it looked right, while the in door scene was running at 30fps.

Another plus to knowing HS is believeable is due to the fact that B3D have some HS developers posting here, besides HS being in development for awhile now.

For those other games shown at E3 05, I would just take a position of sit and wait until Sony shows their cards. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back