How much do you sleep?

Can anybody regularly switch from something like a 4am-12pm sleep to a 12am-8am one successfully? That's what I'd like to do but the transitions kill me (either getting to sleep or staying awake is a problem!). I know it doesn't sound very sensible.

During my extensive research I've found that going backwards is alot harder than to just stay up longer and longer. Unfortunately, I've also noticed that it's pretty damn hard to stop at the mark. If you try to stay up for say 3 hours longer every day untill you're close to the desired schedule, there's a high risk of being unable to stop and you'll just keep on going and going, which sucks quite alot of Kong genitalia.

Edit: I guess that's a no to your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
MuFu said:
Can anybody regularly switch from something like a 4am-12pm sleep to a 12am-8am one successfully? That's what I'd like to do but the transitions kill me (either getting to sleep or staying awake is a problem!). I know it doesn't sound very sensible.

The only thing that works for me is to stay awake until it's 8 hours before I'm supposed to get up. Which means doing a 30 hour stint or so... unfortunately, yes, it does fuck you up for a couple of days. ;) But for me, not as much as just setting the clock and sleep for just 2-4 hours. That does me in for an entire week. :(

Seriously they could do a study on me or something, it seems my biorythm is set on a 26 hour day or something. I just can't stay on a regular daily sleeping cycle. If I'm supposed to keep a regular time every morning I invariably get only 6h/night during the week and then I'm a goddamn zombie .

MPI said:
Seriously they could do a study on me or something, it seems my biorythm is set on a 26 hour day or something.

Actually, I recall this study conducted on this and shown on TV (this was quite a while ago, maybe 1995) and it showed that the average person has 25-hour internal clock.

They put people into rooms, something like a cross between a hospital and a hotel. They were given things so they had something to do, but they didn't have clocks and they were deprived of sunlight (perhaps a major flaw in the experiment). No TV programs that revealed that actual time (news, etc). Basically, they had no idea what time it was. They had electric light and they could flip this on as they wished. I don't remember all the details, but the result was that, on average, they would push one our per day after adjusting to this new lifestyle of not knowing what time it was.

This is on average, but I am sure there are more extreme cases in both directions. However, light is a very important factor and sunlight is the main provider and this is not under our control.

Not really sure how much I sleep normally, I think about 8 to 10 hours, but sometimes considerably more. Unless there are important resons otherwise I tend to have somewhat disorganized sleeping patterns not really tied to anything close to a ~24-hour rhythm or night/day, with the somewhat odd result that when I e.g. travel back and forth between Europe and USA, I do not experience jet-lag. At least I haven't yet.

i sleep in increments...

at night i sleep at 8pm and wake up at 12 or 1am

then i stay awake for a few hours then i go back to sleep for like an hour or 2

and half to an hour in the afternoon, after i get back from school, unlessif i have to go to work...

MuFu said:
Yeah, I used to have to switch sleeping patterns a lot doing shift work and it just f-ing sucks. The best way I found was to just not sleep the day of transition and then I'd be so wiped passing out whenever the opportunity allowed was easy.

Rarely longer than 6 hours. Usually sleeping from 0-1 a.m. till 6 a.m., on weekends from 5-6 a.m. till 11 a.m.

EDIT: and absolutely _never_ during the day

Back