LCD Screen Resolution: Desktop v Laptop?

sir doris

Regular
Just a quick question; why is it that most dektop 19" monitors have a max resolutioon of 1280x1024 where as Laptops with 17" screens get 1440x900 and 1900x1200?

Anyone know why this is?

Possibly b/c laptops tend to be closer to you, due to the integrated keyboard. Might also be b/c they're "hardwired" to the GPU, thus maybe bypassing potential DVI (or poor VGA signal) limitations.

Dunno for sure, tho the industry sure likes 12x10.

i'd guess a mixture between stardards, and prise. i'd guess the higher-resolution displays are much more expensive to produce..

oh, and, another point: normally, you're closer to a notebook screen than to an external screen, thus, the resolution doesn't have to be as high.

oh, and.. if you want to see a real nice resolution screen, check out the new toshiba libretto. it has a 7.2" screen with 1280x768 resolution.. jummie

also usually a laptop can get away with sacrificing colour quality, which may have something to do with how easily they can shrink them...

my laptop has a 1680x1050 15.4" screen... but it's colours don't come close to the colours of my 20" 1600x1200 desktop screen. Odly though the laptops responce time is surprisingly good, although the desktop whips it again here. Desktop also has significantly better view angles, pretty much prefect actually.

Those laptop screens aren't cheap to make so there is another reason you get higher resolution. If you want to spend $500 on a desktop LCD you can get a killer display or if you want to spend more you can get one that wipes the floor with everything else........

Back