Ninety-Nine Nights gameplay footage

Yep, a tru Dynasty Warriors gender game. Looks good. Impressive moves with killer fx.
The only letdown so far to me is the poor scenery detail... not much to see, i was hoping for more complex/detailed environments with more trees/grass/rivers/villages even if it meanted not to have so many on-screen characters.

I'd probably leave it out of the "must buy" list if i ever get a xbox360. I was hopping the otherwise.

Overall, quality over quantity is best suited for majority of cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
doob said:
Overall, quality over quantity is best suited for majority of cases.
Agrees, but watching the trailer, it's not that impressive either in terms of the number of on-screen characters IMHO. I expected from the trailer thousands of enemies avalanching on the hero/heroine, but not quite in the actual gameplay. Only dead bodies staying.

one said:
Agrees, but watching the trailer, it's not that impressive either in terms of the number of on-screen characters IMHO. I expected from the trailer thousands of enemies avalanching on the hero/heroine, but not quite in the actual gameplay. Only dead bodies staying.

There probably is thousand of players on that trailer( or very close to that), we just don't see them all on screen at once, it could'v been done if they wanted so, a simple zoom out camera function would probably show up thousands(?). Now would it affect performance so badly? uhm a bit but i doubt it would bring it to unplayable fps, since lod would be low with a higher zoom out.

looks like a close cousin to Kingdom Under Fire. The interface and the character dialogue popping on screen are essentially the same.

Looks like it could be fun if they have more combos to pull off (including the magic moves). I was hoping they would show a much denser battlefield though. One thing I disliked about KUF was that there were scarce moments where you could actually hit a ton of people with a combo. More often than not I'd be swinging at air.

However, if KUF is any indication, this single environment would hardly be representative of any level in the final game.

edit:

I forgot about screenshots like these:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747832/img_3071931.html
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747832/img_3071930.html

The game is made by the same team as KUF. In fact, you may as well call it KUF360, because that's what it is. They just stuck another name on it.

yup

Even the orcs look the same :LOL:

I wonder if they intend to connect the stories.

I didn't realize this was lie KUF 2. KUF was pretty damn fun for a little while, but for some reason I got bored and never finished it.

I hope they really improve the voice acting and storyline, and hopefully the heavy metal music doesn't go anywhere that was a cool touch for a medieval game

Argghhhh!! I just finished watchng the video!! Not happy!!

Frankly, it looks like garbage!! The character is so strong that the normal enemies don't put up ANY fight what so ever. It's like cutting freaking air!! And then when they finally get to the boss in 2 hits it shaves off, what, 75% of their HP??!! All the while the player can barely even hit the boss because all their battle skills are for taking out large groups of enemies. I darn well better be wrong, because this has crap all over it IMO. Grr. It's so bad I'm angry... WHY??

<wheeww> Ok, I'm a little better. Sorry, for the rant. Seriously though, seeing the gameplay actually pissed me off... that's quite rare. The game better be a LOT more balanced than the video let's on. Maybe, I was actually kinda looking forward to this. :(

Mefisutoferesu said:
Argghhhh!! I just finished watchng the video!! Not happy!!

Frankly, it looks like garbage!! The character is so strong that the normal enemies don't put up ANY fight what so ever. It's like cutting freaking air!! And then when they finally get to the boss in 2 hits it shaves off, what, 75% of their HP??!! All the while the player can barely even hit the boss because all their battle skills are for taking out large groups of enemies. I darn well better be wrong, because this has crap all over it IMO. Grr. It's so bad I'm angry... WHY??

<wheeww> Ok, I'm a little better. Sorry, for the rant. Seriously though, seeing the gameplay actually pissed me off... that's quite rare. The game better be a LOT more balanced than the video let's on. Maybe, I was actually kinda looking forward to this. :(

Probably it was on Easy mode for the presentation? I think the game will get better...most slash fighting games I put it on Hard/Very Hard anyways. :p

I have not played a "slashing" game since... the SNES?

The game looks great, but it looks soooooooooooooooo boring. Everything is mocapped... so it is even more repetitive on the eyes :(

I was hoping for some kind of strategy-action game, where you were some kind of super hero, but some type of strategical warfare--plus actual fighting tactics--were necessary.

Acert, if the game is any MORE like KUF, then this is the game you just described. ;)

KUF involved quite a fair bit of strategy as well as tactics. The hack and slash was just the implementation.

Ya KUF was hard, definately not an easy game. But for some reason I got bored with it...maybe I'll pick iyt up again and finish it just for the hell of it.

BTW - I though Dynast Warriors 5 was the KUF sequal? Or is it 99 Nights?

Gamespot on KUF gameplay:

"Anyway, the point of this game is its combat--and what furious combat it is. In short, the gameplay in The Crusaders consists of both real-time strategy, whereby you command regiments of troops to move and attack on the battlefield, and Dynasty Warriors-style hack-and-slash action, in which you take control of your leader and go toe-to-toe, alongside your troops, against (literally) scores of enemies all at once. One of the most impressive things you'll notice right off the bat is that the strategy and the action are mixed together seamlessly. As a result, you'll be commanding your forces one moment, and then you'll be down on the battlefield swinging your sword the next. All the while, the camera never cuts away from one view to another; it merely zooms in closer to the action.

In the strategy parts, you'll command entire groups of soldiers at once, rather than being forced to micromanage individual units (which, let's face it, would be downright impossible using a joystick). The interface for commanding your troops isn't entirely accessible from the get-go, but it gets the job done pretty well, and you'll certainly warm up to it after just a few missions. You cycle through your troop regiments with the shoulder buttons, and the camera will center itself behind whichever group is currently selected. An onscreen cursor allows you to move the troops around, it makes them attack a nearby enemy group, and so on. If you're using this alone, it can be hard to simultaneously get a feel for the events on the battlefield while assigning orders to your troops. Thankfully, you can pull up a minimap that covers up only about a quarter of the screen, and you can move your troops around and assign them to perform all the same actions this way as well. Pretty quickly, it will become second nature for you to pop up the minimap, assign orders to your groups, and then switch"

They're only comparing the gameplay. Dynasty Warriors is by another company entirely.

Back