War of the Worlds

Silent_One said:
silence wrote:
but storm with thunders that teleport aliens in burried machines?????????
Silly you. I know you must have meant lightning. :p Cruise even had a line in the begining of the movie durning the first storm saying "where's the thunder?"

sorry for my bad english..... but yeah, thats what i meant..... :D

I enjoyed the movie, but certainly preferred the 'old school' version of it (and indeed the album :p)

Talking of the original novel, I wonder why nobody has ever dared to make a faithful recreation of it in movie form - Personally, I think the idea of advanced alien machines invading the Earth in Victorian times (minus all the modern technology etc) far more terrifying.

Hanners said:
I enjoyed the movie, but certainly preferred the 'old school' version of it (and indeed the album :p)

Talking of the original novel, I wonder why nobody has ever dared to make a faithful recreation of it in movie form - Personally, I think the idea of advanced alien machines invading the Earth in Victorian times (minus all the modern technology etc) far more terrifying.

They did but it was god awefull.

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/war of the worlds pendragon 2005.htm

Hanners said:
I enjoyed the movie, but certainly preferred the 'old school' version of it.

I agree, OK remake, moderate movie.

I wonder when Spielberg or someone else at Hollywood spots out the John Christopher's Time of the Tripods trilogy. When handled with care, it could make a good movie series. (and then again, I fear seing it being "raped" to Hollywood shape: moving happening places to U.S., changing critical parts to make humans always win, etc...)

Hanners said:
The BBC already made a (pretty damn fantastic) series out of Tripods in the mid-eighties.

BBC makes really great stuff..... most of my favorite tv shows, specially comedy are BBC production....

Andy said:
Hellbinder said:
Plus i thought Cruise did an awesome job in this movie. A way different part than usual for him. Plus he showed some real genuine emmotion.

Are you kidding me? Tom Cruise is the same arrogant prick he always plays in movies! Only this time he suddenly grows a heart at the last minute. However this could also be said for some of his other movies such as "The Last Samurai".
You apparently missed Minority Report, didn't you.

I'm not sure how you can call 'technicalities', on a movie of all things, especially one about martians invading the earth. It's a work of fiction, things won't add up as they should do in the real world and shouldn't be expected to.

Sit bax, relax and immerse yourself in the film and stop worrying about how it'd all actually pan out were it real :D

I really enjoyed it, was fantastic to watch. Great stuff!

The Baron said:
Andy said:
Hellbinder said:
Plus i thought Cruise did an awesome job in this movie. A way different part than usual for him. Plus he showed some real genuine emmotion.

Are you kidding me? Tom Cruise is the same arrogant prick he always plays in movies! Only this time he suddenly grows a heart at the last minute. However this could also be said for some of his other movies such as "The Last Samurai".
You apparently missed Minority Report, didn't you.

Did I? I said "such as" :p , I didnt list a lot of his movies where he plays an arrogant prick, such as:

Vanilla Sky
Mission Impossible 1 and 2
and the list goes on!

Oh and about Minority Report, funnily enough my dad won 2 copies of it on DVD, and I also won a copy of it in some skill tester machine. That copy I gave to my friend who was with me at the time who hadnt seen it.

Unknown Soldier said:
I actually thought "The Last Samurai" was pretty good.

US

SPOILERS WARNING FOR LAST SAMURAI (even though its quite old now)

For the record, I thought the last samurai was a good film, however the thing that pissed me off was that Tom Cruise's character got to live, while Ken Watanabe's character didn't.

Seen the movie last night... it was a solid 2 hours of "meh". I was only mildly bored, i.e. it did a better job than most movies these days. It was a whole hell of a lot better than the gawd-awful "Batman Begins" where I fell asleep during the 2nd half of the film.

The film started out OK'ish, the middle part was pure tedium, especially the long and boring basement scene and the end was too fast and unsatisfying. I also wonder what the fuck they spent $ 130 million on.

One of my major pet peeves with disaster flicks is the lack of corpses. In Independence Day we had global destruction but not one dead body. Disaster flicks usually completely blot out the human misery element and instead serve us the typical Hollywood survival adventure crap, enriched with bad dialogue and stupid one-liners. Godzilla, Day After Tomorrow... death is treated like in some sort of video game. People die and they leave no traces.

WotW has corpses and that's IMO the films one saving grace. The global Armageddon becomes believable, despite the absurd plot.

What was the significance of the birds at the end? I didn't catch what Tom Cruise was yelling, so I was left scratching my head at the importance of the birds.

The significants about the birds was they were sitting on the tripods, normally the shields would have vapourised any projected at it, hence the shields were down.

Oh. Hrm. I guess that could be it, though it seems odd given the other items that passed through the shields (human bodies, etc).

Ugh. Saw it and was very disapointed in it. Too many plot holes, too many missed opportunities, and waaaay too much over-the-top sappy.

The only real bright spot for me was Dakota Fanning, that lil kid can act! I actually spent some time in the movie feeling bad for the poor kid and how much she must have had to scream for the movie. :?

RussSchultz said:
Oh. Hrm. I guess that could be it, though it seems odd given the other items that passed through the shields (human bodies, etc).

I thought it was to highlight the fact that the tripod was dying. Were they crows? Can't remember.

That was my thought, too. The whole carrion bird thing. Of course, the 'shields down' makes more realistic sense (ignoring that other things conveniently pass through)

RussSchultz said:
That was my thought, too. The whole carrion bird thing. Of course, the 'shields down' makes more realistic sense (ignoring that other things conveniently pass through)

heh.... you have to ignore too much if you wanna walk out of theatre without feeling that you were just robbed....

Saw it and left pretty dissapointed with it. Ignoring plot holes the whole end of the movie was horribly rushed. You get lots of fairly good action and build up and then they must have realised that they ran out of time... so they completely rushed the end and spoiled the whole movie in doing so.

All IMHO.

K-

You can't run out of time in an era where the Best Picture Oscar can go to a 3½ hour fantasy movie.

Blade said:
You can't run out of time in an era where the Best Picture Oscar can go to a 3½ hour fantasy movie.

But the longer the movie, the less showings you can get per day in a movie theatre. It's all about the money.

As Gene Wilder recently said, they used to try and make good movies that made money. Now they just try and make money.

Back