J Allard new interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I think J Allard is a dorky pirate... He really seems to have a solid vision -- I can respect him, pirate or not. When Xbox 1 came out it didn't seem like Allard really knew what was going on -- it's like he was thrown this pet project of making a console and getting into the market but didn't really get into it. This time Allard is full force behind this thing.

He's either an amazing liar or really enthusiastic about his product -- either way I like how he talks about his product in all the interviews I've read.

Kutaragi and Allard both (in my opinion) seem to have a great vision for their systems and the future. From a technical stand point these people make me happy, from a marketing standpoint I'm a bit wary.

This is either the best time to be a gamer or the worst time to be a gamer.

Kutaragi seems a bit off, I didn't understand anything he said in one of his latest interviews. J Allard gets me excited about the next generation, and doesn't call the PS3 "Dreamcast 1.5" or something completely retarded like that. Sony is just weirding me out :?

Huh?

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8474/Kutaragi-Xbox-360-is-Going-After-the-PlayStation-2/

In a new interview with Japanese news site Impress PC Watch, Ken Kutaragi took once again a swipe at the Xbox 360 by saying that Microsoft is going after the PS2 with the Xbox 360.

This time, Microsoft has stated clearly it is going after the PlayStation. However, they are not going after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. Because they looked at 2, the Xbox 360 became what it is." said Kutaragi.

To back-up his claims, Kutaragi made an analogy to the competition the original PlayStation had to face at the time it was unveiled.

"The PS1 was misunderstood in the same way," said the father of the PlayStation. "Even after we said that the PS1 was able to perform 3D calculations while the 3D0 could not, people still insisted both [consoles] had CD-ROM drives and 3D graphics."

But those were not the only words Kutaragi had to say regarding the Xbox 360. When comparing the demos both companies displayed at last month’s E3 expo, Kutaragi said that "the messages of the Xbox in 360 and PS3 differ clearly. Xbox 360 emphasized it is a game machine which is complete as a platform. PS3 emphasized the possibility of technology."

Finally, Kutaragi commented that a “certain famous journalistâ€￾ said: "Xbox is 1.5, the PS is more than what I was expecting, so it's 3.5."

Please don’t shoot the messenger…

I don't agree with nothing Kutaragi says, but I can understand what he is doing, it the same thing the happen before dreamcast came out, he's just trying to get people to wait for the PS3, that and I think he's a little worried

I think this is one of those tongue in cheek team XBOX articles.

They did the same thing when Factor 5 signed with PS3 stating it's power as the reason. Exagerate everything, to show how ridiculous the statements are.

Basically poking fun at Sony for poking fun at them.

Kutagari rules. 8)

I do think Sony must be at least a little concerned as well, but you know they're going to go down fighting if they go down at all - and they'll never let it show on their faces, and I like that style. All this console trash-talking and karate master analogy stuff does much more for me than Allard describing his vision of the HD-Era. Allard I would probably like more if he could just be a little serious and answer questions straight, but he always has to be pitching things like a car salesman and it makes me crazy.

PS - I do have respect though for what Allard has accomplished. He seems to have gotten his bearings the last couple of years and turned the XBox project into an actual contender.

Really? Because I see somebody who is completely insane.

At least he fell short of saying that the PS3 would be a "Total Entertainment System", but if you read any of the other statements from Sony, you'd see that's clearly what he meant.

The X360 is going to only be a gaming system?

Are you for real?

MS at least realized the most important thing in getting people to buy consoles is actually providing them with a great gaming experience.. and that is where their focus is.

MS doesn't have to focus on "establishing" an online community because they did that the LAST generation.. all they have to do now is IMPROVE it to attract more people.

Sony totally missed the boat with PS2 (after promising it) on online play, which is actually quite HYSTERICAL because online play is exactly where you have to take these consoles in order to make them MORE than just "Gaming machines".

Sony is worried, and he sounds like Sony is worried. He knows they've got alot of ground to cover in the online gaming community, he knows they are releasing 6 months or more AFTER the X360, he knows his hardware isn't going to be noticably different than the X360, and he knows his hardware is going to be more expensive than the X360.

..and let's be clear: The "online community" doesn't matter worth a hill of beans to most people at the moment and as great of a "Success" as Live! was, it was still a minority venture... but in order to be "more than a gaming console" you have to be able to CONNECT that console to the internet.

For him to say that the X360 is targetting the PS2 is ridiculous. The X360 isn't targetting ANY of their competition. The X360 has its OWN goals and ambitions, backed by MS's desire to put a console in every home that is connected to the internet, that will then be able to control and stream whatever content (Games or otherwise) that they have into that home.

If anything, the PS3 is trying desperately to find a way to recover from the fact that the Xbox has a larger installed online user base, in a more data collection friendly manner, in a way that is more controlled and accessible.

Right now its Sony that is playing catch-up, and anybody who isn't blinded by MS hatred or Sony Fanboism can clearly see that.

Both Sony and MS are in this market for one reason: To gain a foothold in the living room every single person they can. The problem is that Sony only established a BRAND. They didn't establish a MEANS. Xbox was able to do BOTH.

The entire focus of the PS3 should be to get as many of their customers ONLINE as possible, because if their customers aren't online, then they aren't targets for the REAL profit center, and they aren't targets for the REAL purpose of putting a console in every household.

You make some good points, Rancid.

Sony lost ground when Microsoft got Xbox Live up to speed, and they're steadily losing it still. If PS3 doesn't include a hard drive, that leaves the door wide open for Microsoft to really capitalize on its current success and possibly gain an insurmountable lead next gen.

After all of Sony's talk before the launch of PS2, it's really Microsoft who's bringing home the idea of "computer entertainment."

I don't know why Sony is dragging their heels with this online thing, but if they keep it up, it's really going to hurt them.

I totally respect your post Rancid but online is not the major thing next-gen. It really really important but from your post someone would think right after gameplay, online would come second. Why is it that when Sony defends themselves they are worried but when J. Allard says Namco girl will be seen first on the X360 people take it as face value.

And about that Namco girl comment, didn't we see her on the Xbox and PS2. I mean really DOA Beach Volleyball in real-time to me looked WAY WAY better than Namco girl. And why did they have to show the PSP version of Namco girl in that interview. I don't remember that part in the PS2 demo. I think they tried to cheat the people by showing that clip. That PSP Namco girl video is way better than the one Sony showed 6 years ago.

But really I love this J. Allard guy. He is one hell of a visionary kind of guy. I respect him for how he sees the future of gaming. And if anybody doesn't like it either than hate video games or they are some kind of non-MS fanboi. Its too bad for me and MS that I'm so hooked on the PS3 though. :( Its just the other MS execs and fanbois that turn me off from the system.

Sony lost ground when Microsoft got Xbox Live up to speed, and they're steadily losing it still.

With all due respect Kolger Sony is actually gaining not losing. MS still isn't at 500,000 systems sold in Japan. Explain to me how this could in anyway be good. 200 Units a week in Japan just isn't going to cut in. Sony has more systems in Japan than MS has in the world. And trust me this lead is getting even greater.

I totally agree with you though if Sony doesn't add a HDD with the system this would give people a easy reason to buy the 360 and not wait for the PS3. And Live is huge, but lets not act as if Sony isn't going to give anything. They have said that 'Online' is going to be the DNA of the PS3 so...

RancidLunchmeat said:
Sony is worried, and he sounds like Sony is worried.

Well at least he is worried. And he should be. Times are changing. And the Sony of today isn't the Sony of 3 years ago in many ways. Ken better watch his step...

Great post btw.

Why wouldn't he and Sony be worried? Sony have the most to lose, and it's very unlikely they'll gain market share this gen. Plus Ken was recently demoted, wasn't he?

Everyone is a little shaky this gen, I think. Lots and lots of dollars to be made or lost, probably more than ever before.

RancidLunchmeat said:
At least he fell short of saying that the PS3 would be a "Total Entertainment System", but if you read any of the other statements from Sony, you'd see that's clearly what he meant.

The X360 is going to only be a gaming system?

Are you for real?
Kutaragi does have a habit to put things forward quite bluntly, or maybe it's just something "lost in translation" ;)
But to be honest, it is how Kutaragi says. xbox360 is basically just a games machine even though you can do videochat and play cd's and dvd's, but you could already do those this gen consoles, which were really just games consoles, not computers or "total entertainment systems".

If the HD really ships with a full Linux OS, tehn it will surely make the PS3 much more than just a games console.

For him to say that the X360 is targetting the PS2 is ridiculous. The X360 isn't targetting ANY of their competition. The X360 has its OWN goals and ambitions, backed by MS's desire to put a console in every home that is connected to the internet, that will then be able to control and stream whatever content (Games or otherwise) that they have into that home.
But J.Allard himself has clearly said they're targetting the PS2. They even are targetting the xbox360 specs to compete with PS2.
See my sig ;)
Kutaragi is just rightfully responding to what J.Allard said.

If anything, the PS3 is trying desperately to find a way to recover from the fact that the Xbox has a larger installed online user base, in a more data collection friendly manner, in a way that is more controlled and accessible.
Has it? What are the installed online userbases for PS2 and xbox? I'm not sure.
True, Live is a much more controlled and accessible service, but at the same time it is limited to services MS supplies. It's great for games and MS controlled microtransaction marketplaces, but what if people want more? What if people want what they've used to get with PCs?.
PS3 with Linux should approach the same freedom and variety people now get with their home PC's (web browsing, email by freely chosen account, etc...)

Both Sony and MS are in this market for one reason: To gain a foothold in the living room every single person they can. The problem is that Sony only established a BRAND. They didn't establish a MEANS. Xbox was able to do BOTH.
Has MS really established a means strong enough? The Sony brand certainly is still much stronger than MS means ;)

The entire focus of the PS3 should be to get as many of their customers ONLINE as possible, because if their customers aren't online, then they aren't targets for the REAL profit center, and they aren't targets for the REAL purpose of putting a console in every household.
There are well enough possibilities for Sony to collect money from people even witouth needing to fence the people inside one service.
MS is able to control the ir customer base more closely that way, but at the same time they are not really welcoming other partners in cooperation.

bah... the whole "Allard is targeting PS2" is just putting words into his mouth.

:p

bah... the whole "Allard is targeting PS2" is just putting words into his mouth.

Well Alstrong the man did say it himself. He did say "Remember Namco Girl on PS2 (realtime demo), I remember saying 'I can't wait to get that game'. The fidelity of the graphics of Namco Girl for PS2 will first ship on Xbox 360 called Dead Or Alive 4."

Thats not really putting words into his mouth. Thats the way they came out of his mouth. I really respect this guy, but that was a stupid comment to make. What if Ken K. said that they are targeting to make their games to look like the Raven demo. Wouldn't that also be stupid to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back