Xbox 360 light synth developer comments

shaderguy

Newcomer
http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/neon.php

This is a web site by the developer of the light synth that's in the Xbox 360.

He says he likes the Xbox 360.

You can apparently use 1 to 4 controllers to change the graphics on the fly.

neon.png

Jeff 'touch of death' Minter

It does appear that every he's worked on in the past 10? years had died shortly afterwards..

Jeff Minter said:
Remember what I said about Nuon and "computational resolution"? Well, without giving any secrets away and getting myself into trouble with Microsoft, I can tell you that the Xbox360 can bring to bear an absolutely *staggering* amount of computational power on each and every pixel, and never drop below 60 frames a second. The thing's a *monster*.

8)

Remember what I said about Nuon and "computational resolution"? Well, without giving any secrets away and getting myself into trouble with Microsoft, I can tell you that the Xbox360 can bring to bear an absolutely *staggering* amount of computational power on each and every pixel, and never drop below 60 frames a second. The thing's a *monster*.
8)

Don't like M$ much, but it is nice too see that Jeff finally will get something done "big time". Llamatron is very, very good game :)

Allthought, not to mock him anyway, but he is kinda saying that feedback effect thing was his invention... There were classic Amiga demoeffect called "Dweezil-fractal" that is exactly that effect. And it was done a long before Tempest 2000, or the whole VLM-thing for Atari Jaguar and for the Nuon chip.

eSa said:
or the whole VLM-thing for Atari Jaguar and for the Nuon chip.

Jeff had a lightsynth on C64 (Colourspace) and another on Atari ST (Trip-a-tron) long before his console based ones.

eSa said:
Don't like M$ much, but it is nice too see that Jeff finally will get something done "big time". Llamatron is very, very good game :)

Allthought, not to mock him anyway, but he is kinda saying that feedback effect thing was his invention... There were classic Amiga demoeffect called "Dweezil-fractal" that is exactly that effect. And it was done a long before Tempest 2000, or the whole VLM-thing for Atari Jaguar and for the Nuon chip.

His first VLM was on the ST around the same time as the Amiga/ST demo effects. I wouldn't want to guess who was the first to do it, Could have been Minter or anyone in the demo scene at the time.

X-AleX said:
8)
What did he say about computational resolution and what is it?

And we got it into the firmware again...
Microsoft firmware.
Of the Xbox360 for goat's sake }:D.
At last... after more than 20 years' work, one of my lightsynths is going to reach a decent sized audience.
Millions and millions..... }:D

:LOL:

ralexand said:
X-AleX said:
8)
What did he say about computational resolution and what is it?

It's on a different page:

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/vlm.php

Those VLIW cores gave Nuon sufficient power that for the first time I had what I guess you could call "computational resolution" in the display. You have physical resolution (X by Y pixels), colour resolution (bit-depth), and "computational resolution" being the amount of maths you can actually afford to lavish on each and every pixel without slowing down the display. Before, when making effects it was all you could hope for to be able to throw bits around the display quickly, but now you could not only throw stuff around, you could perform significant computation on it at the same time. This allowed me to develop new techniques for VLM-2, and to refine existing ones - my feedback on VLM-2 was much more gentle and smoky than it could ever be on the VLM-1. In fact my guiding aesthetic for VLM-2 was "no visible pixels" - I wanted everything to blend together so well that you never saw a jagged edge or anything that actually gave away the fact that there were pixels underlying everything.

I wanna see lots of particle effects like smoke, motion blur, DOF, Z buffer distortions, and 3D morphing like liquids, reflections. ;)

Back