"Lenticular halos" post-processing effect

Guden Oden said:
Oooh no, L-B! The big hair decade was the eighties, I should know, I grew up during it! :D A full third of the guys in my class had Samantha Fox posters up on their bedroom walls with this humongous French poodle strapped to her head, or so it seemed. :D

Wait a minute. What on earth were you doing looking at her head?

:?

:p

Anteru said:
"Incoming" also featured full-screen lensflares all the time, making you nearly blind. IIRC, Forsaken wasn't much better, putting halos on every projectile... ahh, I need my sunglasses :)

The game was Motorhead, yeah...

Forsaken was a total blinding experience, absolutely beautiful at first, especially since it was the early-ish days of non-point-sampled graphics, like, ever, but god it gave me such bad headaches...

Heh well if you want to already you can take Humus's glow demo and change it so there is weightings for the blurring that decrease with distance and then peaks back up at a part for the halo.

Of course not the most exciting thing in the world to have a halo effect of :p

Cryect said:
Heh well if you want to already you can take Humus's glow demo and change it so there is weightings for the blurring that decrease with distance and then peaks back up at a part for the halo.

Of course not the most exciting thing in the world to have a halo effect of :p

or maybe YOU can do it b/c you make it sound soooo easy :)

london-boy said:
nutball said:
I do find it rather amusing that a fair few games simulate camera lens flare. It shows quite how persvasive TV/film has become in our lives I think.

In a game that's trying to persuade you they YOU are really THERE, why simulate the effects of a camera? When was the last time you spent a day living your life through a camera?

I think it must be because we're so used to seeing alien situations via a TV/film camera (or to turn that round, most alien situations we see are via a TV/film camera), that it doesn't raise an eyebrow when we see these effects are ported to computer games.

Well, lens flare was big in the 90's, kinda like big hair.
I remember a PC racer, called... and this will take a lot of my brain's processing power.... errrrrrrrr.... Moderacer... Mother... Mono... Mo... Ma...

DAMN I CAN'T REMEMBER!

Anyway, this game was a lens-flare fest, it was quite cute in the old days when Voodoo1 was still the big thing and shiny things were in their infancy. Basically any light in the game had a lens flare effect attached to it. Needless to say, the game being set at night with streetlights on, it was a mess in it's cuteness.

Ultim@te Race Pro was a car-racing game that had plenty of lens flare too.

P69

Snyder said:
BRiT said:
london-boy said:
I remember a PC racer, called... and this will take a lot of my brain's processing power.... errrrrrrrr.... Moderacer... Mother... Mono... Mo... Ma...

DAMN I CAN'T REMEMBER!

Anyway, this game was a lens-flare fest, it was quite cute in the old days when Voodoo1 was still the big thing and shiny things were in their infancy. Basically any light in the game had a lens flare effect attached to it. Needless to say, the game being set at night with streetlights on, it was a mess in it's cuteness.

POD. ?

Motorhead?

I'm pretty sure he meant MOTO-RACER 8)

Was a fun game back then, though...

BRiT said:
london-boy said:

DAMN I CAN'T REMEMBER!

POD. ?

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but thanks for the link! I've been trying to get that game to work on Windows XP/non 3Dfx cards forever! Now, if I could only figure out why the game appears to be having Z-sorting issues...

Back