Doom 3 continued-Linux support for NVidia cards

Thx for the link m8! Sounds great! :D

An intresting tidbit from there:
- What about hardware based ray tracing?

A - Well, it might be right for some specific markets, but it isn't something for the gamer market.

I am somewhat curious as to why John Carmack doesn't feel like realtime raytracing will be good for gaming. That is, is he talking merely in the short-term, or does he feel some other algorithms will be used instead for games?

The offline market doesn't even use raytracing. You don't need it for the vast majority of scenes. Same goes for radiosity.

Ray tracing would be only useful in combination with rediosity. Use radiosity for diffuse lighting and ray tracing for specular.

It seems to me that currently we use a large number of tricks other than ray tracing to get such things done as specular highlights, reflections, and refraction. This is all well and good for rather limited objects.

The bigger problems come in when you're talking about something expansive, that doesn't look good when it's approximated as a point object (for example, water).

It seems to me the real-time raytracing would be the only way to accurately simulate water, where you want to render how the light from all sources is reflected/refracted on the water, and how it collects on objects near the water (to get that shimmering effect near a swimming pool, for instance). It may also be necessary for realistic light attenuation within water (which is exponential, with the attenuation of each source of light, and how it lights underwater objects, based on distance light travels through the water).

It was a strange comment that I didn't understand as well. ATI does support their products under Linux, perhaps it's in relation to a specific backend for ATI products?

Back