Ghost Of Tsushima 2 [PS5]

Graphically way less impressive than I was expecting, honestly. Leaning extremely hard into the wind/particle stuff as expected, but not sure it's really paying off as a whole, given how everything else seems like a modest upgrade compared to Tsushima.

I played the original this summer on PC, and it was beautiful.
The art direction alone, is enough for me.
Every scene was a painting.
Didn't hurt that it was a very good overall game as well.
This. It's completely gorgeous to this day. This sequel will look amazing. People need to wait till we get some higher quality media from it, IMO.

image.thumb.png.604ba715ddaefe87b53ca8cffe28ef8b.png

i fail to see what was underwhelming here, even a game like Avatar did not show the same foliage density espacially in the distance.
Materials, asset quality, lighting etc all seem to have little or no improvement over the first game. This seems like a PC version of that title with crazy LOD unlocked via an .ini file.

i fail to see what was underwhelming here, even a game like Avatar did not show the same foliage density espacially in the distance.

Yeah foliage is the highlight. Other things are less impressive. There’s low geometry detail on environment and clutter objects (rocks, ropes, trees etc). Cloth physics is last gen. Character models also aren’t up there with the best.

if it's like the last game their foliage system is made mostly of geometry instead of sprites, so there's a lot of geometry on display there, I guess it's more suitable for the windy tone kurosawa movies style they want, but that means less geometry budget for the rest of course.

Artwork and colors are top-tier. Everything else looks underwhelming besides the foliage. Character models don't look good, geometric density looks low, animations are recycled from the old game. It's very underwhelming for a AAA production from a first-party studio. HFW is still Sony's best looking game with Rift Apart.

I love how graphics progression has stalled so much we’re arguing about foliage density as the differentiating factor between a cross gen title and current gen only title.

I love how graphics progression has stalled so much we’re arguing about foliage density as the differentiating factor between a cross gen title and current gen only title.
I think this demand for everything to be capable of 60fps is hurting things. If that's your base target, you're probably going to make some early sacrificial decisions on certain core graphics features/tech(things not easily 'slider adjusted') to ensure you can get there in the end.

I think this demand for everything to be capable of 60fps is hurting things. If that's your base target, you're probably going to make some early sacrificial decisions on certain core graphics features/tech(things not easily 'slider adjusted') to ensure you can get there in the end.
30 fps needs to die, at least in action games like these. Sue me!

I mean tbh I’m fine with stagnation if it means everything is 60 fps. I notice that way more than almost anything else.

Back