The Intel Execution in [2024]

https://wccftech.com/intel-3-proces...cent-higher-density-shipping-xeon-6-cpus-now/

Intel 3 Adds An 18% Performance Uplift At the Same Power While Improving Transistor Density By 10%

Intel-3-Process-Node-Detailed-_4.png

This is basically the exact same claim they were already making back in 2021:

1627366116_intel_node_naming.jpg

So either they've hit on that pretty much exactly, or it's just a kind of repeat claim.

That said, I dont really doubt that Intel 3 and 18A will be pretty good, being the needed evolutions from the rougher 4/20A first goes.

How do they go from 14% IPC over Meteor Lake -> Lunar Lake on P cores, only to get 3% overall gain from Raptor Lake -> Arrow Lake even with much larger cache than Lunar Lake? And only 15% MT given the huge increase in E core performance? :/

I know there's probably an expected clock regression compared to the ultra juiced 6Ghz 13/14900ks and all, but surely there should be enough of an IPC uplift overall to easily outweigh this, right? By more than just 3%. If Arrow Lake is just 'Raptor Lake performance but more efficient', few people will care compared to the faster and just as(if not more) efficient Zen 5 option.

Is Intel 20A just in such an early state that it cant really be pushed at all(so like, perhaps even lower 5Ghz numbers)? Wouldn't be surprised given how fast they're rushing these new nodes, but it's a disaster all the same in terms of actually producing competitive products. If true, of course.

How do they go from 14% IPC over Meteor Lake -> Lunar Lake on P cores, only to get 3% overall gain from Raptor Lake -> Arrow Lake even with much larger cache than Lunar Lake? And only 15% MT given the huge increase in E core performance? :/
Could be that Raptor lake is particularly bad at lower power brackets (or AL at higher ones ) due to hitting some bottlenecks

I wouldn't blame it on the processes first

There’s literally millions of 13900k and 14900k systems out there. You hear about a few crashes and then the internet blows things out of proportion. If this were widespread it would be on the front page everywhere.

He’s talking about companies that are putting desktop CPU white label systems in data centers as servers that are running their business. That makes things rather suspect right there because that is really really stupid. It also has nothing to do with client systems.

Anecdotal: my Alienware R15 13900k has had zero crash’s running all P cores at 5.9ghz, E cores at 4.7ghz with a 300 amp current limit. On the other hand my HP Fury laptop with a 10th gen Xeon blue screens on a single thread of SuperPi.

There’s literally millions of 13900k and 14900k systems out there. You hear about a few crashes and then the internet blows things out of proportion. If this were widespread it would be on the front page everywhere.

He’s talking about companies that are putting desktop CPU white label systems in data centers as servers that are running their business. That makes things rather suspect right there because that is really really stupid. It also has nothing to do with client systems.

Anecdotal: my Alienware R15 13900k has had zero crash’s running all P cores at 5.9ghz, E cores at 4.7ghz with a 300 amp current limit. On the other hand my HP Fury laptop with a 10th gen Xeon blue screens on a single thread of SuperPi.
He seems to think he's found some real problems, regardless of whether some of the datasets he looked at were from off label use datacenters. Apparently these same datacenters didn't have these problems with the 12900K.

Unfortunately I don't recall him even speculating as to what the problem might be. I'm wondering if it will affect lower end Raptor Lake SKUs. On the anecdote front I've been running a 13600K with XMP and a very slight undervolt since Feb 2023 and haven't had any problems.

Could be that Raptor lake is particularly bad at lower power brackets (or AL at higher ones ) due to hitting some bottlenecks

I wouldn't blame it on the processes first
Whatever it is, they'll get absolutely destroyed in reviews if these numbers are at all true. Almost no actual performance improvements since Raptor Lake after two architectural leaps and two generations of process leaps - that would just be....beyond pitiful.

I'd still guess process, though. Intel will not have designed these cores on an architectural level to only be good at low power levels, given they need to range from laptops to desktops to huge server products.

Intel is selling defective 13-14th Gen CPUs​

My team at Alderon Games, working on the multiplayer dinosaur survival game Path of Titans, has been encountering significant problems with Intel CPU stability. These issues, including crashes, instability, and memory corruption, are confined to the 13th and 14th generation processors. Despite all released microcode, BIOS, and firmware updates, the problem remains unresolved.

We have identified failures in five main areas:

• End Customers: Thousands of crashes on Intel CPUs on 13th and 14th Gen CPUs in our crash reporting tools.
  • Official Dedicated Game Servers: Experiencing constant crashes, taking entire servers down.
  • Development Team: Developers using these CPUs face frequent instability while building and working on the game. It can also cause SSD and memory corruption.
  • Game Server Providers: Hosting community servers with persistent crashing issues.
  • Benchmarking Tools: Decompression and memory tests unrelated to Path of Titans also fail.
Over the last 3–4 months, we have observed that CPUs initially working well deteriorate over time, eventually failing. The failure rate we have observed from our own testing is nearly 100%, indicating it's only a matter of time before affected CPUs fail. This issue is gaining attention from news outlets and has been noted by Fortnite and RAD Game Tools, which powers decompression behind Unreal Engine.

Users are also receiving misleading error messages about running out of video driver memory, despite having sufficient memory.

Actions We Are Taking​

To prevent further harm to our game, we are implementing the following measures:

• Server Migration: We are swapping all our servers to AMD, which experience 100 times fewer crashes compared to Intel CPUs that were found to be defective.
  • Hosting Recommendations: We advise anyone hosting Path of Titans servers or selling game servers to avoid purchasing or using 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs.
  • In-Game Notifications: We are adding a popup message in-game to inform users with these processors about the issue. Many users are currently unaware of why their game is crashing and what they can do about it.
They are dropping all of their Intel servers and popping up a message to users that have Intel 13th and 14th gen CPUs, letting them know that they have defective CPUs (whether it's all models or just 13900K/14900K+ is unclear). If they are confident enough to take those steps I sense a full recall incoming. It seems Gamer's Nexus has a good idea of what the problem is but they haven't said yet as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Back