Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

OneXPlayer, the most powerful one -more powerful than Steam Deck, it seems)
The OneXPlayer is most probably not more powerful than the Deck. It has lower memory bandwidth, and although the 96EUs Xe @ 1.1GHz theoretically has an edge in max compute throughput the RDNA2 GPU probably has a significantly more effective performance-per-FLOP.

The OneXPlayer is most probably not more powerful than the Deck. It has lower memory bandwidth, and although the 96EUs Xe @ 1.1GHz theoretically has an edge in max compute throughput the RDNA2 GPU probably has a significantly more effective performance-per-FLOP.

Seems like OneXPlayer allows up to 28W on APU so that could be the difference vs 15w on Steam Deck. Although, highest end version of OneXPlayer being $1500(!) and 150g heavier is something to think about lol.

I would hold off on buying a Steamdeck type thing at this time, I have a feeling competition will be thriving soon. Also at those prices a gaming laptop makes a lot more sense to me.
Well yes. But no. The formfactor really does make a difference.
Consider this - if Valve had released exactly the same hardware, but in the shape of a light laptop, how much attention would it have gotten?

Steam Deck has an optional FPS limiter
Radeon Chill, Smart Shift, FPS limiter, Radeon Boost, FSR .. if Valve can get all these things it should help a lot with battery and perceived performance

Well yes. But no. The formfactor really does make a difference.
Consider this - if Valve had released exactly the same hardware, but in the shape of a light laptop, how much attention would it have gotten?
sure. This device has all that makes devices like Aya Neo quite special. Another laptop in the market wouldnt make a difference. Plus you can't hold it as close to your eyes as a handheld.

It's a cognitive thing for me, too.

I was born myopic -they say myopic people has microscopic eye sight-. When I was a kid my parents noticed that 'cos at school and at home I used to hold things close to me.

In fact, when studying a few years ago, I created PDF files to study that then I read on my mobile phone to prepare the exams.

Those were the best grades I've ever got. This was like 4-5 years ago.

When I told my teachers that I used to study on a mobile phone, they couldnt believe it. "How dont you burn your eyesight?" they said.

This is something you can't do with a regular laptop.

Radeon Chill, Smart Shift, FPS limiter, Radeon Boost, FSR .. if Valve can get all these things it should help a lot with battery and perceived performance
those are the little things that can make a big difference, software wise.

Hardware wise I am not sure if Steam Deck is going to have a base like this. Imo that might be a much needed feature.

kick_02-700x470.jpg

The advertised performance figures are kind of.... something to be taken with a grain of salt, then?
Valve seems to be realistic with the expectations. There is actual proof of what is the expected performance taking into account the experience with similar devices, as @Proelite mentioned.

This is Doom Eternal running on High settings, only shadows set to Low on an Aya Neo, and 720p instead of 800p.

sexy hot device, imho

Valve seems to be realistic with the expectations. There is actual proof of what is the expected performance taking into account the experience with similar devices, as @Proelite mentioned.

This is Doom Eternal running on High settings, only shadows set to Low on an Aya Neo, and 720p instead of 800p.

sexy hot device, imho

Nice, impressive what such a small device can do imo. Ive said it before its a great addition to the pc market. Laptops aint for everyone that wants something mobile.

Nice, impressive what such a small device can do imo. Ive said it before its a great addition to the pc market. Laptops aint for everyone that wants something mobile.
even more impressive when in the video he just increases the TDP from 10W to 12W, getting an incredible performance boost of 5 to 10fps or so.

Aside from that you get all the benefits of a computer -specially on GPD Win 3 'cos of the keyboard-, touch screen, decent size to show something interesting to anyone etc etc. Imho efficient hardware like this is the future.

I would hold off on buying a Steamdeck type thing at this time, I have a feeling competition will be thriving soon. Also at those prices a gaming laptop makes a lot more sense to me.
in this case, maybe the GPD Win 3 is more for you. It has a pretty nifty keyboard, it's very light and it's gorgeous. Maybe not as beautiful as a gaming device as the Aya Neo, but not bad at all..

Since we wont be getting a Steam Deck anytime soon -I mean for those who didnt preorder it yet- I'd say after considering the form factor and the size, that maybe, out of the other main competitors of Steam Deck: GPD Win 3, Aya Neo and OneXPlayer- the GPD Win 3 might be more like my thing too. Just because of the keyboard.

The issue with the GPD Win 3 is that the Intel drivers are usually bad and some games crash to the desktop for unknown reasons and stuff like that. But GPD Win designers are moving to AMD hardware, and GPD Win 4, if it comes out when Steam Deck is available again, in 2022, will use AMD, imo.

For more info on these devices the LowSpecGamer channel is very good, since he plays games exclusively on them.

LowSpecGamer Aya Neo review.

LowSpecGamer OneXPlayer review.

(both "reviews" give you a lot of insight on the GPD Win 3, as to how they compare, advantages and disadvantages.

LowSpecGamer GPD Win 3 video

GPD Win 3 is over priced for me, although a Ryzen based 4 I'd like to see at least.

I'd still just prefer a gaming laptop when you start talking about spending a grand on it.

Well, every other mobile PC gaming device except Steam Deck are overpriced. They need to be priced under $700 for wider adoption, though it will be very difficult for those niche hardware makers.

DF made a 75 minute video on the steam deck

I watched this during the weekend.
They seem very doubtful of the availability of Windows drivers for the Deck. I don't think Valve would have talked so openly about installing windows in the Deck if official AMD drivers for Windows weren't going to be available from day one.
Going forward, Van Gogh's RDNA2 GPU should simply be included in AMD's regular GPU driver suite.

Furthermore, if Van Gogh was originally developed for a Surface device that was canned, a Windows driver suite for it was probably planned from the start (and it's not like a Zen2 CPU + RDNA2 GPU + SmartShift need a lot of code that isn't already written).

As for the sleep+resume in games being so important for SteamOS 3.0, I'm wondering what makes them think all those windows games that crash upon sleep mode will behave any better if running under Proton.
Also, is there any development on this subject planned for Windows 11?

when John mentions how difficult it is to uninstall gamepass PC games or delete existent windowsapps folders imho he is mistaken.

There is a workaround.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delete-windowsapps-folder-windows-10

Still a pita, but this method is palatable. The app needs to improve a lot in a few regards, but the game library for the price is incredible and I am a life-long subscriber. It it worked on Steam OS I wouldnt mind not touching Steam Deck's default OS, but I highly doubt it.
I didn't know there was a big issue. I just uninstall them from the xbox app .

GPD Win 3 is over priced for me, although a Ryzen based 4 I'd like to see at least.

I'd still just prefer a gaming laptop when you start talking about spending a grand on it.

It just depends on how you use it.

I wouldn't want to play 2-6 hours with a laptop in my lap or have to bring a lap cushion to put on my lap and then the laptop. On a plane a laptop might be fine , i'd put it on the tray and play. But on most trains I use and on the bus there is no where except my lap to put it . Same with a tablet.

So it all depends on how you want to use it. This would go in my messenger bag and I would take it with me when i'm commuting just like my switch

Last edited:
I watched this during the weekend.
They seem very doubtful of the availability of Windows drivers for the Deck. I don't think Valve would have talked so openly about installing windows in the Deck if official AMD drivers for Windows weren't going to be available from day one.
Going forward, Van Gogh's RDNA2 GPU should simply be included in AMD's regular GPU driver suite.

Furthermore, if Van Gogh was originally developed for a Surface device that was canned, a Windows driver suite for it was probably planned from the start (and it's not like a Zen2 CPU + RDNA2 GPU + SmartShift need a lot of code that isn't already written).

As for the sleep+resume in games being so important for SteamOS 3.0, I'm wondering what makes them think all those windows games that crash upon sleep mode will behave any better if running under Proton.
Also, is there any development on this subject planned for Windows 11?
dunno why it shouldnt work, if enough space is in your disk to create a "live save". Tbh, I've never tried that, 'cos most of the games I play have a quick save function or I just leave the game to replay at another time.

I could easily send hat as a suggestion using the W11 feedback app.

Regarding that issue, they seem to blame the GPU drivers when sleep+resume dont work properly.

Games won't open after putting pc in sleep mode - Microsoft Community

Finally confirmed by Valve:

Steam Deck :: Tech Specs

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)

My suggestion for those with a slow internet connection (those with a fast internet can install/uninstall games at will) like me is to have external HD units to keep a backup of your games so you dont need to download them every time.

Back