Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

In Italy bar, restorants and such closed until who knows. Finally government has taken this seriously. Also not allowed to visit friend's homes, relatives homes. Forbidding only meetings over 100 people has no sense at all. You have to forbid all the meetings.

All shops closed with the exceptions of first necessity shops like pharmacy, gasoline pumps, alimentary shops.... Industrial activity reduced at the minimum possible. If you have to move you have to take with you a paper where you describe the reason of the movement. If police checks the reason of your movements is not valid may give you 200 euro penalty or even 3 months in prison.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31585922/

Last edited by a moderator:
What a news for me this morning. I was two days off. I work as a developer in an open space. I arrive at job and my colleague sitting just near me is not there. I asked why? His wife works in a retirement home and one old guy died of coronavirus. He needs him and his family to have the coronavirus test, if he is positive all the IT departement will need to pass the test and we will all work from home. :( I am not old this is ok but I will avoid seen old people for example my father until the situation is cleared.

One Spanish Minister has been tested positive. The whole government is being quarantined and tested. What a bunch of idiots.

Or 44%, there's arguments to be made why lethality should be counted from "finished" cases aka deaths+healed rather than by infected, since every infected will end up in either healed or dead pile when they're through and it's impossible to say which beforehand.
True, but you can only properly evaluate it in retrospect since you also have to take into account that "healed" significantly lags behind "death". I.e. the average time from infection to death is shorter than infection to healed. And of course many people will never know they had it and therefore not be counted as healed.

What a news for me this morning. I was two days off. I work as a developer in an open space. I arrive at job and my colleague sitting just near me is not there. I asked why? His wife works in a retirement home and one old guy died of coronavirus. He needs him and his family to have the coronavirus test, if he is positive all the IT departement will need to pass the test and we will all work from home. :( I am not old this is ok but I will avoid seen old people for example my father until the situation is cleared.

Yikes. How many times have your workplace been fumigated / purged since that connection was made? So they're not planning to work from home in the meantime until his test come back?

Good call on keeping your parents and other older folks safe.

Yikes. How many times have your workplace been fumigated / purged since that connection was made? So they're not planning to work from home in the meantime until his test come back?

Good call on keeping your parents and other older folks safe.

They wait the result of the test before doing something. If the guy is positive, we will need to all pass the test and we will all be send back to work from home.

The School will be closed from monday here two weeks but after it is two weeks of holiday. Children and student will not go at school for one month.

If mosquitoes pass the virus it will be almost impossible to avoid it (like Zica)... and we don't know yet.

That's wonky reporting and a dumb response. The idea of containment is now failed. Therefore, the plan, and the only plan available, is to slow the spread - the Delay phase. That means, eventually, you do get 'herd immunity'. The only place I've seen that phrase is in conjunction with a strategy to cocoon off vulnerable people. So, old people's homes go on lockdown, the rest of the populace goes through Covid19 mostly unscathed, and then when the general populace is immune, the cocooned places are opened up. But I've only seen that as a suggestion, not a plan. The latest plan hasn't been announced yet, so I've no idea what the source of this ITN tweet is, but the phrasing of that article is alarmist, tabloid-style.

In Denmark we have closed down all nonessential government work, closed all schools, universities, kindergardens, public libraries, most restaurants, bars / discos etc. the next 19 days.

I suggest we change this topic's title to Coronavirus Pandemic.

Herd immunity is the only option we have right now. People being against it are just uninformed.
You want slow infection rate to avoid an overwhelmed health system, until you reach the point of herd immunity.
It's what every country did with Influenza A BTW (though coronavirus is deadlier).

This is the UK government's plan

upload_2020-3-12_16-26-57.png

Containment has failed. The only option now is to manage the rate of infection so cases can be dealt with. Other countries like Poland are trying to contain by extreme isolation now before the infections spread everywhere. And it's not really anyone's fault these choices were made as they were. In the beginning, it wasn't known that people could be infected and contagious without symptoms. Ordinarily, you'd track those showing symptoms and know where the disease is, but Covid19 can spread without leaving a trail to follow so it was unknown how widespread it was while containment was pursued.

In the case of another new disease, a country could call a 100% lockdown for two weeks following the first infection, but if the disease spreads visibly, that'd be overkill.

All major sports leagues (MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS) in North America now on hold or cancelled. Nfl has some time before they need to make any decisions.

Man, the XFL just can't catch any breaks... :LOL:

I think Portugal will also close all its universities and schools starting next week.
Every EU country is scared shitless of what's happening in Italy.
Schools in Portugal closed until the end of March.

EDIT: Fuck it's up until April 9th..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back