Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

OK sorry looks like I've touched a sensitive spot tottentranz (deathdance?) I apoligize
My initial comment was meant to be lighthearted and in no way darwin award worthy ....... not to say I have not participated in darwin award behaviours in the past though

As a person not trying to win any awards, I'm not really afraid of (un)natural selection. I do my bit to avoid contact and spreading virus to others, but I'm fully aware, that in my job line, I am at higher risk of getting infected.
But life needs to go on and work has to be done.

BTW Poland is on a lockdown from tomorrow with schools and all public places closed for 2 weeks to slow down the spread. This in a country with only 25 confirmed cases. I think more EU countries should do the same to buy more time before infection spread is totally out of hand.

OK sorry looks like I've touched a sensitive spot tottentranz (deathdance?) I apoligize
My initial comment was meant to be lighthearted and in no way darwin award worthy ....... not to say I have not participated in darwin award behaviours in the past though
my general rule is to keep the debate about the arguments and not about the posters themselves.
and secondly, wrt, if you don't know his situation it's unfair to prescribe what his actions should be.

He could be leaving surgery, or having anxiety, perhaps he has a young child or an elderly person he doesn't want to pass it to, all sorts of things that are valid to his position but not yours.
I think generally this discussion is better if we leave anything about the poster out of it and just focus on the arguments.

Ok sorry I didn't understand you were joking in your previous post.
Things are getting very real here in southern europe, even though things in my country haven't escalated as much (at least according to official numbers).

What is an age breakdown of the people that died of it in Italy? I cant find this data
Northern Italy is critical at the moment.
They reached a point where they're not treating people that would otherwise be treatable, because they don't have enough medical supplies nor places to put them in.
Once you have a serious pneumonia, you'll need antibiotics and oxygen, and they've ran out of those. The increasing number of cases every day makes any kind of logistics arrangements unable keep up with.

They reached a point where, if you go into a state of serious pneumonia, the doctors will decide either they try to save your life or not, based on your age and previous conditions. If there's a chance you won't make it, you probably won't.

Please keep in mind when posting information from Italy that this is an english-speaking board.
While true, anyone speaking any language descending from latin should be able to intrepet contagi and vittime in this context, which would leave guariti pretty self explainatory

Vittime = victims
Guariti=healed
Contagati=infected

Around 8% of victims.
Terrific.
Or 44%, there's arguments to be made why lethality should be counted from "finished" cases aka deaths+healed rather than by infected, since every infected will end up in either healed or dead pile when they're through and it's impossible to say which beforehand.

While true, anyone speaking any language descending from latin should be able to intrepet contagi and vittime in this context, which would leave guariti pretty self explainatory

Or 44%, there's arguments to be made why lethality should be counted from "finished" cases aka deaths+healed rather than by infected, since every infected will end up in either healed or dead pile when they're through and it's impossible to say which beforehand.
True.
So real numbers could be even worst. In China people are much younger so data where better.

What makes Covid-19 even more dangerous than its actual effects is that it drains medical resources that may be needed for other viruses that aren't as deadly. Meaning that in places where medical resources are overwhelmed even pneumonia or the common flu could become more deadly.

In related news Harvard University has told students to not return after Spring Break. They'll continue their classes online.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I think Portugal will also close all its universities and schools starting next week.
Every EU country is scared shitless of what's happening in Italy.

Emergency law will be enacted tomorrow to ban public gatherings of more than 100 people.

I had wondered if any of the Western countries would do something like this. 100 people is still quite a few, however. And people know people so I'm unsure how effective this will be at slowing the spread. Still better than nothing.

Now, will other Western countries follow suit? I have a feeling the US won't do it due to public fear of what Trump might do in such a situation.

Regards,
SB

Looks like Trump will attempt to address the nation about Coronavirus at 9pm EST (~ half hour from now).

I had wondered if any of the Western countries would do something like this. 100 people is still quite a few, however. And people know people so I'm unsure how effective this will be at slowing the spread. Still better than nothing.

It does mean that basically all theaters shows, movie theaters, bars, nightclubs and most restaturants will be closed (nightclubs will be forced to close regardless of capacity). What you're left with is family gatherings, where people know each other and probably act more responsible if they are feeling under the weather.

The entire public sector, which is the biggest employer in Denmark, will close, except for critical personel (firefighters, police, hospitals).

If the measures don't prove effective, I'd expect the next step to be enacted in short order (explicit travel ban in and out of the country, no public transport, closing of private companies, etc.)

Cheers

It does mean that basically all teaters shows, movie theaters, bars, nightclubs and most restaturants will be closed (nightclubs will be forced to close regardless of capacity). What you're left with is family gatherings, where people know each other and probably act more responsible if they are feeling under the weather.

The entire public sector, which is the biggest employer in Denmark, will close, except for critical personel (firefighters, police, hospitals).

If the measures don't prove effective, I'd expect the next step to be enacted in short order (explicit travel ban in and out of the country, no public transport, closing of private companies, etc.)

Cheers

Hmmm, there's only a few bars in my area that have over 100 person capacity. Then again I live in a city with a population that is less than 1 million. But yes, it would limit large shows and sports events certainly. Yet I didn't get mine from any large gathering. The most likely place that I got it was from the local market while shopping for food.

Regards,
SB

most spanish bars will be OK then, they are like the worlds smallest :yes:, I dont know how half survive to be honest, half are like 2 meters wide and seat about 5 people max. Rent must be cheap I suppose.
I wonder when countries are gonna stop reporting the numbers, the urge to suppress the numbers must be great

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

travel banned from europe (excluding the UK) -> USA
what to do?
maybe go to the UK (which hasnt banned travel from europe or china) -> and then go to the USA :runaway:

Too late anyway, its well ensconced in the USA
more evidence today with the chances of tom hanks & rita wilson both getting covid-19 out of the ~130 ppl in Oz is very unlikely (*). i.e. the true figure in Oz (and elsewhere is prolly off by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude)
i.e. theres most likely 1000s of cases already in the USA

Btw I asked before but got no response, is there any data of the ages of people dying outside china?

(*)https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ing-like-00086-of-the-world-is-famous/267397/

Last edited:
NBA ended their season until further notice after a player tested positive (Rudy Gobert). In a moment of pure genius he was 'goofing around' purposefully touching reporter microphones after a game on Monday.
I expect we'll see another Utah player and or staff test positive or perhaps a Toronto Raptor who they just played on monday. If you go back two weeks the spread could be crazy just from this case because of the travel and contact in the NBA. And as many NBA teams share facilities with the NHL it may be the end of that season as well.

Back